Sako rifles

nn76858

Button Buck
Spoke with a very knowledgeable gunsmith today. Was asking him about good out of the box hunting rifles for western hunting etc. He highly recommended sakos from what he had seen. Have any of you owned or shot any sakos? Very unfarmiliar with these guns.......im giessing they are similar to the tikkas.......let me know ur experiences

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Used to have a Sako that I bought used and it was a very solid platform. Shot as good as I needed and never gave any problems.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I've never owned a Sako but a friend has several. They are well built and the actions are like glass. They seem to hold their value quite well too.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Only Sako I've messed with is a sako finnlight in .270wsm smooth action and shoots great but was a little bullet picky when reloading doesn't like Barnes at all but shot accubonds great. The tikkas are also great shooters and feel very similar.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I've had a Sako 300 for over twenty years. Never shot anything through it that didn't group well. Killed everything from yotes to elk with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
If you are shopping the used market don't buy or shoot a Model 75 with the fluted stainless barrel, a Model 85 Finnlight with stainless fluted barrel or Tikka T3 with a stainless fluted barrel before checking the serial # range with Beretta/Sako/Tikka. They did a recall on rifles in a certain serial # range in the mid 2000's because of bad metallurgy in the stainless fluted barrels. There are still rifles a few rifles floating around that have not been fixed. You can use google to see the results of the KABOOMS.

Other that the above bump in the road Sako makes a fine rifle that usually has better than average accuracy and an action to match.

<>< Fish

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I have a Sako A7 Roughtech in .300 win mag. First and only deer so far with it I took at 425 yards (nightforce scope didnt hurt).
Wife has a Tikka Tac A1 she just did a 1,000 yard shooting course with.
We also have a Sako 85 Varmint stainless in .308 with a set trigger, Beautiful gun but we haven't shot it a ton yet. I have no doubt it will have sub 1moa accuracy though.

My Biggest beef with Sako so far, atleast that 85 (which some will say is a "true" Sako) Is the scope mounting system is a pain in the arse to get figured out. The A7 is no problem but the 85 has some european style optic mount and there is a very small market for those things.

Honestly, If I was you, I would stick with a Tikka T3x, a Sako A7.. Or just get yourself a Remington 700 and have all the options for aftermarket parts anywhere at anytime.

Oh and on average the deal with Tikka Vs Sako is Tikka has a 3 shot 1moa guarantee and Sako has 5 shot.

And a fun fact... Sako is actually pronounced Socko (but everyone in the US pronounces it Sayko like the watch for whatever reason)

Last edited:

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
Just this spring I got a Sako Finnlite in .308 Win. I got it as a deer rifle to hunt out west with my brothers in Idaho. I've shot it all spring and summer and it's been impressive. I've been trying different bullets and powder combinations and all have been under 1" moa. I've settled on a 150 SST combo that's consistently less than .5 inch MOA. The action is silky smooth and it's a delight to carry. I can't wait to go to Idaho this fall and hunt with it.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot a mid 70's Sako .243, I love it. It shoots so well I can't even bring myself to do something about the stock, which looks like it was decorated with a crappy insert in a 7th grade shop class.

richard corn

Ten Pointer
IMO Sako best production gun made. I have two and both shoot very well. One in .308 Win and the other in .204 Ruger. I also have a Tikka in .223 that shoots very well also. Something about those Finnish gunmakers. They are passionate about their rifles as they are big hunters too. As far as which is better I go with Sako. They just seem to be built better with better components. You won't find much plastic on a Sako. They should be though as they cost 2 1/2 times as much. It is like asking which is better a Toyota or a Lexus. Nuff said.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have 2 custom rifles built on Sako actions. A .300 Win Mag, and an 8mmx30 both built on the 85.

Both were awesome shooters in their factory state, I just got a hankering for something else.

In their factory state, both would shoot sub 1/2" groups with whatever I shot through them.

I still have the factory barrels somewhere or another...

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk