Inexpensive paint job

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Does anyone here know where I could get a inexpensive paint job for a car and roughly how much it would be? (It's a 2001 Camry if that matters).

The clear coat has come off in several spots and I'm not sure it could be repaired and painted to match due to the age of the car.

I'm going to sell the car and figured if it isn't to much to paint it I would go ahead and do it to help sell it.

sent from...... Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
At one time Maco if you got the middle of the road you got a pretty decent paint job for the money. That was about 10-12 years ago. I wouldn't have a clue now.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You probably are better off to just sell as is.......painting it will not help the value any.....it will look better but most folks want a 16 year old car just to save gas at a cheap price....looks aren't that important

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Take ScottyB's advise. If it were a speciality car/truck I'd say paint it and add a little value.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
You're better off to sell it as is. A low quality paint job is worse than what you have now, and a high quality job is gonna cost more than you wanna spend.

For reference, our paint jobs start at $3500 and go up from there.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will go 850 since the timing belt is dry rotted from not being driven....tires too.

Seriously, sounds like maybe 4k-5k car to the right person......but I am not pulling blue book.

I know a friend of mine has sold a Camry with high miles in the last couple years and got 3k

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If no other problems other than paint and the a.c. works end the interior is clean it will sale for around $5000 on craigslist.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I would sell the Camry as is also maybe knock off a little of your asking price for the paint not looking that great..Just 89k miles on a Camry is just getting broken in good..I got a nice looking paint job for my old Chevy truck in Swansboro for $400 bucks, I furnished the paint kit..

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Save the paint job money and have it detailed. With low miles, a detailed end job that gives the appearance that it was well maintained and being a Toyota, it should sell for what you ask.

witler

Eight Pointer
Sell as is, raise your asking price then negotiate down, because of paint, to a good price for you at sell time.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Save the paint job money and have it detailed. With low miles, a detailed end job that gives the appearance that it was well maintained and being a Toyota, it should sell for what you ask.

I agree. Save the money for the paint and make the interior look as good as you can.

Paint is one of those things, "the cheaper it is the more it will cost you."

Paint/body work is one of those things people look for, and it scares them, whether or not it should.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
If no other problems other than paint and the a.c. works end the interior is clean it will sale for around $5000 on craigslist.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Low income adults looking for basic transportation is looking for $2-$3k cars. Parents looking for a first car for their kid is also looking for a $2-$3k car. The car is 17 years old with failing paint. It'll be hard to sell at $5000.

Last edited:

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
Sold my Toyota pickup 99. Tocoma 220,000 miles clear coat went bad paint messed up cleaned it up sold in 2 days as a good truck new wouldn't have made that much difference

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Low income adults looking for basic transportation is looking for $2-$3k cars. Parents looking for a first car for their kid is also looking for a $2-$3k car. The car is 17 years old with failing paint. It'll be hard to sell at $5000.

You'd be shocked what people will pay for a low mileage camry/accord.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Jonov is correct.....I'll never get 5k but you migiht be surprised at what some folks will pay for camry, maxima, accord or the like.
I should have put it up for sale in like February when folks we're getting income checks back.

If I just weren't tired of it(and wanting something else)I would keep it. At it's age I wouldn't be scared to drive it anywhere.

sent from...... Tapatalk

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My grandfather had a crappy low end GM car that had the worlds worst factory paint job. He got the bargain basement MAACO special and it was decent enough. It was good enough to keep it from rusting.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Start it out at 4900......unless you are in a hurry

Personal opinion: You either price something to sell quickly on craigslist or you take it to the junkyard. Dealing with craigslist buyers is more painful than getting a root canal without Novocaine.