Bear Scents

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I didn't expect to,,,,,regs are clear on the legality of it,,,,,thanks for letting him know what you confirmed,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It spins spins spins,,, that ring of posts, that ring of posts"

(With apologies to Johnnie Cash,,,,RIP)

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I'll just post what my local warden says and thats that.

We will see if aerosols are legal to put out by non hunters.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I'll just post what my local warden says and thats that.

We will see if aerosols are legal to put out by non hunters.

youve been told. I have it from a warden. Like a damn kid going to mommy after daddy says no. Ask til you can get something you can TRY to interpret as anything other than what it is, illegal.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
youve been told. I have it from a warden. Like a damn kid going to mommy after daddy says no. Ask til you can get something you can TRY to interpret as anything other than what it is, illegal.

Sorry bud I sent out the email yesterday.

Peace.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sorry bud I sent out the email yesterday.

Peace.

You posted today and said

I'm sending the gw an email and we can put this to rest

The use of I'm connotates future tense,,,,,yesterday isn't the future from today

So it is understandable that folks didn't know you emailed yesterday,,,,

Johnnie comes to mind again

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Well I sent it out long before Justin posted the answer so sorry about that is what I meant.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
so what was the response on the aerosols email you sent Tuesday / Wednesday? Got the regs that say no in bear season counties and at least two wardens that have said no,,,wanted to see what their response was to you
GW probably has his email address blocked.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
so what was the response on the aerosols email you sent Tuesday / Wednesday? Got the regs that say no in bear season counties and at least two wardens that have said no,,,wanted to see what their response was to you

Nothing yet.

Sent the question to Sgt Andrew Helton of District 9.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe so.

If two wardens are on record saying I am wrong, then its settled how the law is enforced is it not?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yep.............But it would be irrelevant where he was stationed. The G.S. is the same.

Good point.

I might have used the wrong contact information.

That might why I have not gotten a reply.

Thanks nccatfisher for pointing that out to me.

Doesn't really matter though as its been posted 2 other wardens confirm how they enforce the statute (G.S. 113-291.1)

So an extra reply is moot.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
not "how they enforce"

it's clear - no bottled/canned scents, aerosol or otherwise, in a bear season county,,,,,,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
to All participants of the Galactic Internet in search for the truth of hunting mysteries of North Carolina,,,,,,this thread has served a purpose,,,,and that purpose is to show that even Great Googlers are not always accurate in their individual interpretation of the regulations of North Carolina,,,,

the written jousting of this thread was directed to ensuring that the Good People of the Galactic Internet, whom may have in their mind to come to North Carolina in search of a hunt, or a bird watching, or a short photography stint, or any other outdoor (and technically indoor) related pass time, are aware that it is NOT legal to use various concoctions to attract animals or birds, or even people, in an area that has an established bear season,,,,,,

please,,,read the regs,,,,and don't believe every utterance of the Galactic Internet,,,,,,

if the regs aren't clear to you, or not clear in general,,,,then please, contact the NCWRC at wrccomments@ncwildlife.org,,,,,,

it's for your own good,,,,,,,,,,,

Peace Baby (in my best Austin Powers impersonation),,,,:cool:

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Got a repy from Mr Shawn P Martin with NCWRC:

The only regulation on food sources or attractants is listed below under NCGS 113-294(r). It solely deals with placing processed foods or attractants when placed as bait. Under this regulation, the placing of an artificial attractant would be illegal if you are placing it to bait the bear into an area.

(r) It is unlawful to place processed food products as bait in any area of the State where the Wildlife Resources Commission has set an open season for taking black bears. For purposes of this subsection, the term "processed food products" means any food substance or flavoring that has been modified from its raw components by the addition of ingredients or by treatment to modify its chemical composition or form or to enhance its aroma or taste. The term includes substances modified by sugar, honey, syrups, oils, salts, spices, peanut butter, grease, meat, bones, or blood, as well as extracts of such substances. The term also includes sugary products such as candies, pastries, gums, and sugar blocks, as well as extracts of such products. Nothing in this subsection prohibits the lawful disposal of solid waste or the legitimate feeding of domestic animals, livestock, or birds. The prohibition against taking bears with the use and aid of bait shall not apply to the release of dogs in the vicinity of any food source that is not a processed food product as defined herein. Violation of this subsection constitutes a Class 2 misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00).

I highlighted the two sentences Mr Martin highlighted in his reply.