Bear Scents

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I was at Bass Pro in Cary yesterday and noticed that they were selling several types of scent attractants for bear including the aerosol bear bombs. Thinking maybe the law changed here I went back and checked the regulation and it still says "It is unlawful: ... to use any bear bait attractant, including scented sprays, aerosols, scent balls, and scent powders". Why would they be selling something that is clearly unlawful here or am I missing something?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was at Bass Pro in Cary yesterday and noticed that they were selling several types of scent attractants for bear including the aerosol bear bombs. Thinking maybe the law changed here I went back and checked the regulation and it still says "It is unlawful: ... to use any bear bait attractant, including scented sprays, aerosols, scent balls, and scent powders". Why would they be selling something that is clearly unlawful here or am I missing something?

The hunter lives here in NC but may not hunt here in NC???.......plus BPS, Gander Mtn, Cabelas, don't keep up with game laws in all the states they are in.....corporate store product layouts probably basically the same in all stores

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Most of the stuff they sell at those, Walmart and every other hunting store for deer hunting is illegal to use in a county that has a bear season. People still buy it and use it.

Last edited:

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I guess I was just surprised as I've seen most try to cater to the local rules and regulations. For instance, baiting isn't allowed in TN and so the bass pros and cabelas there don't carry bags of corn as an example.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've had the privilege of hunting a really nice property up in the northern reaches of Stokes and the only thing the owner brought that day was his camera. He was still tending the land, checking game cams and all, but his only focus from there on out was taking shots with his camera. My wife beinga photographer, I could see the use of scents that way. Though I doubt that's their target market.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
All the bubbas buying corn by the truckload in VA must be taking it out of state. ;)

There are some states where the bear scent is legal to use as long as you are wearing it. Makes it a little more sporting.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Because its legal to buy and use, just not when you are hunting.

(b) No wild animals or wild birds may be taken:

However, no rule established by the Wildlife Resources Commission shall allow for the taking of a black bear with the use and aid of bear bait attractants, including scented sprays, aerosols, scent balls, and scent powders, and no rule established by the Wildlife Resources Commission shall allow for the taking of a black bear while it is consuming bait.

There is nothing illegal about using such products as long as you are not hunting or trying to take a bear.

That said how many people assume that if a store sells something, its legal to use?

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Being ignorant doesn't float with most judges. How many goes to FB or their .net sites for game law regs instead of typing in the agency to research the info? Why, because they are lazy. They will be the first to whine and say "well that wasn't what I was told on such and such a place".

RJ1

Ten Pointer
[QUOTE=CRC;1843953

There is nothing illegal about using such products as long as you are not hunting or trying to take a bear.

That is not exactly right,placing these products out during bear season for any reason be it to get photos or videos is illegal hunting does not enter into it.Placing processed food out of any kind during the off season for any reason will also get you a ticket.As far as scents during the off season I would think they would be legal but I would ask NCWRC no need to get a high dollar ticket for not asking.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

That is not exactly right,placing these products out during bear season for any reason be it to get photos or videos is illegal hunting does not enter into it.Placing processed food out of any kind during the off season for any reason will also get you a ticket.As far as scents during the off season I would think they would be legal but I would ask NCWRC no need to get a high dollar ticket for not asking.

Exactly the point of my post.

Last edited by a moderator:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I posted the statute.

no, you posted an edited version of what is in the regulation digest,,,,,,

If you are not hunting you can put them out. I posted the statute. It says you cannot use them to take a bear. Nothing more or less.

Just don't hunt any property were you are using them

They are illegal for hunting purposes.

you are wrong

read the bottom of page 47 in the NCWRC regulations,,,,bottom of first column to be exact,,,

"It is unlawful to place processed food products as bait in any area of the state with an established season for taking black bears"

doesn't say anything about hunting,,,,

if it were me, I'd follow the guidance of the retired warden and the lifetime bear hunter who informed you earlier,,,,,they have valuable experience,,,,,,

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
(r) It is unlawful to place processed food products as bait in any area of the State where the Wildlife Resources Commission has set an open season for taking black bears. For purposes of this subsection, the term "processed food products" means any food substance or flavoring that has been modified from its raw components by the addition of ingredients or by treatment to modify its chemical composition or form or to enhance its aroma or taste. The term includes substances modified by sugar, honey, syrups, oils, salts, spices, peanut butter, grease, meat, bones, or blood, as well as extracts of such substances. The term also includes sugary products such as candies, pastries, gums, and sugar blocks, as well as extracts of such products. Nothing in this subsection prohibits the lawful disposal of solid waste or the legitimate feeding of domestic animals, livestock, or birds. The prohibition against taking bears with the use and aid of bait shall not apply to the release of dogs in the vicinity of any food source that is not a processed food product as defined herein. Violation of this subsection constitutes a Class 2 misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00).

Nothing about aerosol sprays or scents.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No black bear may be taken with the use or aid of any salt, salt lick, grain, fruit, honey, sugar-based material, animal parts or products, or other bait, except as provided by the rules of the Wildlife Resources Commission. However, no rule established by the Wildlife Resources Commission shall allow for the taking of a black bear with the use and aid of bear bait attractants, including scented sprays, aerosols, scent balls, and scent powders, and no rule established by the Wildlife Resources Commission shall allow for the taking of a black bear while it is consuming bait.

http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_113/gs_113-291.1.html

RJ1

Ten Pointer
What he is getting at is,if you put it out during bear season to take your pictures or whatever and your neighbor your family your buddy from across the state hunts near it which one of you are breaking the law both of you are him for hunting near it and you for putting it out and he doesn't even have to know that it is there.Anything you can think of when it comes to attracting bear for any reason has already been thought of by someone else.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
But it doesn't make it illegal to put out if no one is bear hunting the property.

No different than putting out processed attractants marketed for deer but they are illegal for bear and if you put them out they make a property off limits to bear hunting.

But you can put them out.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
But it doesn't make it illegal to put out if no one is bear hunting the property.

No different than putting out processed attractants marketed for deer but they are illegal for bear and if you put them out they make a property off limits to bear hunting.

But you can put them out.

ok, I propose a little experiment,,,,

come bear season in your AO,,,you put some out and let me know the GPS coordinates or lat/long,,,,,,,

I'll let game wardens know,,,,,,,

we will see what they have to say,,,,,,

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
ok, I propose a little experiment,,,,

come bear season in your AO,,,you put some out and let me know the GPS coordinates or lat/long,,,,,,,

I'll let game wardens know,,,,,,,

we will see what they have to say,,,,,,

I'm sending the gw an email and we can put this to rest

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I'm afraid we won't hear back from that. I asked Mr Green Jeans and got the answer we all know to be true. Surprise surprise surprise. A ticket in "pretty much every county in the state" whether hunting or otherwise. Shazam (in my best Gomer Pile voice).