nikon coolpix issue

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so I bought this thing 5 years ago up in Alaska,,,,been rode hard and abused,,,but decent camera for what it is,,,,it's been carried on many a hunt from the Brooks Range to Florida swamps,,,,,,

nikon coolpix L810

but now it won't turn on,,,,it started too, said "remove lens" (lens cap was already off) and now won't power up,,,won't even pretend to try

I've swapped out batteries three times,,,all nice batteries (duracell coppertops and then Alkaline extremes)

any ideas before I trash it and move on to a different one?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Look on line and find the owners manual for reference. There should be a "re-set function that will restore all factory defaults. You may need to press it with a paper clip straightened out.....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have the manual,,,,,no such thing with this camera from what I know,,,,,some things have it but if you know this camera does let me know where

witler

Eight Pointer
Try removing the battery and leaving it out for 15 mins or so. Can't remember the brand but I had a camera doing similar thing and removing battery fixed the problem. Good luck.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Search google. There is a lot of info on how to repair this issue. My smaller Coolpix had the same issue and it turned out to be some small debris blocking the lens housing from moving in/out at when powering on/off. A few shots of compressed air from a can using the straw around the lens housing had mine up and running in minutes.

<>< Fish

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I'm having a issue with my coolpix as well, I can't find it. I keep it in my truck just to have a camera on hand if I see something I want to take a pic of. I figured I had lost it because it was right next to my binoculars and they are still there but after a couple months I'm leaning towards it had help disappearing.

Hope you get yours fixed.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Search google. There is a lot of info on how to repair this issue. My smaller Coolpix had the same issue and it turned out to be some small debris blocking the lens housing from moving in/out at when powering on/off. A few shots of compressed air from a can using the straw around the lens housing had mine up and running in minutes.

<>< Fish

I had one of the Coolpix units also, took great pictures for what it was and one day the barrel locked up, never could get the lens to move again. I went to the repair web sites looking for the magic fix and turns out that was the number one problem with that model; basically no easy fix and repair would cost more than a new camera so to the recycler it went. Good luck!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Try removing the battery and leaving it out for 15 mins or so. Can't remember the brand but I had a camera doing similar thing and removing battery fixed the problem. Good luck.
His has disposable batteries, not an onboard battery.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Long shot, try removing / replacing the SD card.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Try resetting it..... I believe if you hold the play button on the back and then push and hold the power button as well after 60 seconds of so it should re set.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
[
Long shot, try removing / replacing the SD card.

tried that,,,,thanks

His has disposable batteries, not an onboard battery.

100% correct, in original post I mentioned I had swapped out batteries three times,,,,

Try resetting it..... I believe if you hold the play button on the back and then push and hold the power button as well after 60 seconds of so it should re set.

I was hoping (hope is such a lousy COA) for some such fix,,,,thanks but nope, nothing,,,,,,

I had one of the Coolpix units also, took great pictures for what it was and one day the barrel locked up, never could get the lens to move again. I went to the repair web sites looking for the magic fix and turns out that was the number one problem with that model; basically no easy fix and repair would cost more than a new camera so to the recycler it went. Good luck!

my "google-fu" is fairly well developed,,,and I can find nothing that solves this issue. And yes, it seems to be a common error. I've had the error before where the camera thinks the lens cap is on, have had the lens stop working, but this failure to power-on has me whipped.

guess it's time to research a new camera,,,,,,,,,,,

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
When you tire of pulling your hair out, a skeet thrower and a shotgun will fix it;) I hunted all year last year, with a radio that had squelch gremlins...no more static:)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
When you tire of pulling your hair out, a skeet thrower and a shotgun will fix it;) I hunted all year last year, with a radio that had squelch gremlins...no more static:)

I believe you solved this issue,,,,thanks!!

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
[

tried that,,,,thanks

100% correct, in original post I mentioned I had swapped out batteries three times,,,,

I was hoping (hope is such a lousy COA) for some such fix,,,,thanks but nope, nothing,,,,,,

my "google-fu" is fairly well developed,,,and I can find nothing that solves this issue. And yes, it seems to be a common error. I've had the error before where the camera thinks the lens cap is on, have had the lens stop working, but this failure to power-on has me whipped.

guess it's time to research a new camera,,,,,,,,,,,

Have a look at the Olympus Tough series of cameras. Good image quality and they run like old Timex watches.

<>< Fish

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would go right back with another Nikon. I have probably the next gen, it has an onboard battery. It has been beaten, wet, frozen and who knows what. I still takes remarkably good pics for a point and shoot basically.

If it dies today I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I would not buy another Nikon. They have a stupid rule that if you call cust service that you have to have your serial number so you can't call if you are not looking at the camera. They will not answer anything w/0 serial number.
I would go with Fuji xp120

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Here's some decent info to digest on the current crop of adventure ready point and shoot cameras.

http://manmakesfire.com/best-waterproof-cameras-rugged-adventure/

The Olympus Tough TG-5 is very hard to beat. Check out the ability to control the camera and camera functions from your smart phone. I'm looking to upgrade to one before the year is over.

Right now my go anywhere camera is a Pentax Optio W80 that is shock, water and dust proof. It takes good pictures and is small enough to fit in any pants or jacket pocket. It is pretty rugged to stand up to the last seven years of use. Its been used motorcycling, mounted like a GoPro on the atv and kayak and underwater shooting in fresh and saltwater and still works fine.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
thanks for the info fishhunt,,,I am in research mode so all ideas are welcome,,,

first I have to decide how many nickels I plan to drop on this,,,,,as in cameras, you generally get what you pay for,,,,,

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've got the Olympus Tough TG-4 and its pretty good. I got the add on fishleye lense and it is handy when taking selfies with your trophy in the field. I'm sure the 5 would be good.