Swimming Pools...Who Has One? seeking info

witler

Eight Pointer
Live in Triangle area and looking for info about an in-ground pool. Any info will be helpful...Size vs cost...chlorine vs salt treated.
Do's and don'ts and Name of reputable installer.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Ive had one a little over 11yrs, here's my only helpful info......don't do it!

sent from...... Tapatalk

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
I second the salt over chlorine. The pool my wife put in is her baby. No work for me except when a snake gets in it.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
We put one in about 7 or 8 years ago. I honestly fought it for about 10 years before that; but finally relented. I love it and honestly thought it would be more work than it is. Go with salt no question. I run the cleaner a few times a week, check the skimmers every day, and take the water in to the pool store (Rising Sun have been good to work with) about once a year to balance and all good.

I have a 2 stage pump that I can set timers on when to run on high and when to switch on low. Saves energy and no need to run on high all the time. I also keep mine running year round so when it gets warm enough in the spring, just jump in.

I am glad we have it. There is nothing like working in the yard on a day like today and then stripping down and jumping in to cool off. I also love the late night swims when it is hot an muggy.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Go with salt no question. There is nothing like working in the yard on a day like today and then stripping down and jumping in to cool off. I also love the late night swims when it is hot an muggy.

x4 on the Salt !!!!!

A tree fell on ours 2 yrs ago or we would still have it....I used to mow 45 mins- 1 hr , go jump in for 5 mins, then mow another hr, etc.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
You guys that use salt, how long have you been using it and did you convert over or use it from day one?

sent from...... Tapatalk

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We've got one, I love it. I can work around the barn or in the yard then jump in. Like others said I enjoy it late at night this time of year too. Something about being in or near water relaxes me. Get you a nice deck/patio around it and you'll find yourself in it or hanging out around there more than you think.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
We got a 30' 54" above ground with a 46'x50' deck. It's nice. Wish it was more shady. Salt is the only way to go.

3a136cad5a4d66d53a0b0f3c9522084f.jpg

94075aba631e894b667fc42836c402fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C52

Eight Pointer
You guys that use salt, how long have you been using it and did you convert over or use it from day one?

sent from...... Tapatalk

My dad converted over to salt about three years ago. Says he's glad he did

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I've had a few over the years. You start to not like it after you have it for a while (Maintenance v use time for me) then when you don't have one (like I don't now!) you want one.

I will not put one in where I am now, but when I downsize and move in a few years it will be a preferred condition of the new place. If I have a choice it would be salt.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
Weve had one for about 16 years, we use chlorine and catridge filters. I dont have the heartache i akways hear others talk of. A freind thats in the pool industry told me about using copper sulfate as algaecide and that has helped
2067c736f48ffa37d68606e924864ca7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

straightline

Ten Pointer
We install several in ground a year. If you're in the Raleigh area and would like more info or an estimate shoot me a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I converted to salt 7+ years ago and will not go back to chlorine as there are many advantages to a good chlorine generator. As far as testing goes, get yourself a Taylor Complete test kit & read the booklet to learn how to test for yourself.
The advantages to either are as follows:
Chemical bills are less than 1/3 of what they were with chlorine. Salt is not expensive once a proper level is established then all you need is some CYA for stabilizer, Muriatic acid & sodium bicarb to adjust PH and TA- again the book will provide proper quantities to add.

Established CYA levels do not continue to build up with salt like it does with stabilized tablets. Once you get much above 55ppm of CYA it actually ties up the free chlorine and the water is not properly sanitized...the remedy is to dump a good percentage of water or treat with an EXPENSIVE solution that reduces CYA.

Salt pools are basically being shocked continuously as the generator puts out slightly higher than normal levels of Hypochlorus acid (basically chlorine and it is tested the same way as chlorine). Plus when needed the nicer systems have a shock function that raises the level higher to super shock the pool as needed.

Eliminating 1 part of the balancing equation with no added chlorine (really 2 as the CYA is established and doesn't change much except with heavy backwash or dumping after rain) so all you need to control is PH & TA plus occasionally check Calcium hardness which gives the pool water its sparkle. However if needed you can add chemical shock to really burn off anything as needed. I'll add a couple bags in spring when opening the pool up and periodically in winter when I turn my pump on for extreme cold (I don't usually drain my pump, filter and pool down in winter but maintain proper level and turn it on below 30 degrees to prevent freezing/busted pipes) to keep the water as sanitized as possible year round.

Testing: learn to test yourself and do so 4+ times per week. By doing so you save time by not going t the store and sitting around while they test 40 samples AND if you notice a small issue happening it is easier to treat and re-balance the water with the problem being small. Testing weekly or less leaves you prone to bigger issues like total cloudy water or a full blown algae bloom that takes time and money to resolve. The complete test kit will show problems and provide the necessary treatment based upon the test results and your total pool volume...basically makes it fool proof.
The water feels "Soft", like if you have a water softener and you don't have the chlorine residue on your skin, in your suits and on accessories like floats or toys.

Another aspect is how long you run your pump daily. Some use timers and only run a couple hours per day to save money on electricity. One thing you want to do is make sure your pool is being turned over at least 6 or more times per day and most manufacturer recommend 8 hours minimum. Doing this assures even distribution of chemicals and proper filtration to maintain cleanliness and balance. If a pool isn't being turned adequately it is difficult to maintain proper balance and issues will arise- especially when it is 102 outside and the free chlorine is being used to its fullest potential.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Testing: learn to test yourself and do so 4+ times per week. By doing so you save time by not going t the store and sitting around while they test 40 samples AND if you notice a small issue happening it is easier to treat and re-balance the water with the problem being small. Testing weekly or less leaves you prone to bigger issues like total cloudy water or a full blown algae bloom that takes time and money to resolve. The complete test kit will show problems and provide the necessary treatment based upon the test results and your total pool volume...basically makes it fool proof.

I think 4+times is overkill unless you have herds of people swimming daily or nearby trees that dump a bunch of leaves/needles in it all the time. When my salt water pool is balanced, I can go a whole month without needing any adjustments to the water. If there are adjustments, it usually is to bring the pH down. If we get a lot of rain, I may need to add more salt or adjust the alkalinity. I test only once per week. I have only had algae once in my pool and that occurred shortly after I powerwashed the concrete pool deck. The algae bloom was caused by excess phosphate in the water. There isn't a phosphate test in the Taylor complete kit.

Another aspect is how long you run your pump daily. Some use timers and only run a couple hours per day to save money on electricity. One thing you want to do is make sure your pool is being turned over at least 6 or more times per day and most manufacturer recommend 8 hours minimum. Doing this assures even distribution of chemicals and proper filtration to maintain cleanliness and balance. If a pool isn't being turned adequately it is difficult to maintain proper balance and issues will arise- especially when it is 102 outside and the free chlorine is being used to its fullest potential.

I'd love to see a data source for your 6 water turnovers per day. I've never see one article that recommends that high of a turnover. Most recommend 2 turnovers per day and some even recommend one. I've not seen 3 or higher turnovers. My pump is incapable of turning the water over 6 times per day. One turnover takes at a minimum almost 5.5 hours.

You should research variable speed pumps. They save a lot of electricity by running a pump at lower GPM for longer periods of time. The benefit is not only lower electricity bills but the longer run times keep the pool mixed better and the water is filtered over a long time period. There are plenty of calculators out there that will compare energy usage between variable and single speed pumps. Plugging in numbers for my pool, the pool season electricity costs are $33 for variable speed and $453 for single speed.
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/saving-calculator.htm

The savings is based on the pump affinity law.
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/54242.pdf

Specs for my pool
20,000 gal
salt water
vinyl lined
inground
sand filter

Last edited:

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Live in Triangle area and looking for info about an in-ground pool. Any info will be helpful...Size vs cost...chlorine vs salt treated.
Do's and don'ts and Name of reputable installer.

Had one here in Wilmington NC for 12 years. Wish it was concrete as new vinyl costs a pretty penny. I know the owner of Aquahaven Pools in Raleigh, Scott Hoffman. He's really good and he is absolutely honest and trustworthy, which rate highly in my opinion. Phone is 910-961-1909 or aquahaven.com. And like everyone else salt is the way to go.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Had one here in Wilmington NC for 12 years. Wish it was concrete as new vinyl costs a pretty penny. I know the owner of Aquahaven Pools in Raleigh, Scott Hoffman. He's really good and he is absolutely honest and trustworthy, which rate highly in my opinion. Phone is 910-961-1909 or aquahaven.com. And like everyone else salt is the way to go.

I have no idea what a concrete pool costs but the difference between a fiberglass and a vinyl pool at the time I built mine was about $20,000. Vinyl liners last around 10 years and I can replace the liner for $4000. I figure I'll be spending more in about 50 years.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I'd love to see a data source for your 6 water turnovers per day. I've never see one article that recommends that high of a turnover. Most recommend 2 turnovers per day and some even recommend one. I've not seen 3 or higher turnovers. My pump is incapable of turning the water over 6 times per day. One turnover takes at a minimum almost 5.5 hours.

You should research variable speed pumps. They save a lot of electricity by running a pump at lower GPM for longer periods of time. The benefit is not only lower electricity bills but the longer run times keep the pool mixed better and the water is filtered over a long time period. There are plenty of calculators out there that will compare energy usage between variable and single speed pumps. Plugging in numbers for my pool, the pool season electricity costs are $33 for variable speed and $453 for single speed.
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/saving-calculator.htm

The savings is based on the pump affinity law.
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/54242.pdf

Specs for my pool
20,000 gal
salt water
vinyl lined
inground
sand filter[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected as I did mis-state my numbers as 4+/- times per day is a good baseline. My information comes from a close friend who retired from Wake County Public Health and while overseeing the entire pool program for the County basically wrote most all of the guidelines for pools (many of his rules have also been adopted by the state). The premise for running a pump more than many do is as you stated- if a pool is turning over multiple times per day and is tested regularly (public pools must be tested 3X per day with tests being a few hours apart) one is much more likely to notice a potential issue and be able to correct the problem before it grows into something major. And it is easier to maintain balance with the water volume being properly mixed and chlorinated. And to Homebrew's point a variable speed pump is a great way to go as you can have it constantly running for the same or less dollars than a single speed running intermittently.

Granted public pools do get more bather load than a private pool but the same concept applies to private pools. You test on Saturday before neighbors come over to swim, it rains Sunday and Monday and you don't pay attention until Wednesday when you notice something wrong. The result is more chemicals needed to correct the imbalance (possibly a heavy shock treatment as well) and you potentially wind up with PH bounce that takes a couple days to correct. If you check daily with the exception of total rain outs the issue shows up on a smaller scale and is easier to do minor chemical adjustments or treatments to get back in balance. There is an art to applying the science of pool chemistry and the more often things are checked and the more the pool turns over on a daily basis the easier it is to maintain proper chemistry. And it is a good idea to set the generator to shock on a weekly basis to cease any potential blooms or major issues.

That said, having a salt water pool does make it much easier to not only establish but to maintain balance and salt plus the PH & TA chemicals are relatively inexpensive compared to chlorine tablets. And except for heavy water dumping (post rain) or splash out from normal pool activity you really don't add that much salt in a season.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I don't care for mine basically because I hardly ever get in it but I have to keep it up.
If it weren't for my 11yr old I would have gotten rid of this thing years ago.

I dont use Salt and knock on wood I haven't had to spend a ton of money on chemicals and usually don't have a big swing in Ph.

sent from...... Tapatalk

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had one once..... till it got repo'd. Now I have a swimming pond. Lets see those b*****ds take that!

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Remember when you want to sell your house. There are two types of buyers, One that would like a pool and One that does not want a pool. Those that want a pool can always put one in, but I think it limits the number of people that might want to buy your house. Save your money and rent a hotel room and use their pool.
Also if the 7 year old neighborhood brat get into your pool and drowns, it is your problem and cost. Don't care if it is fenced in, signs hung, ... you are liable.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had one once..... till it got repo'd. Now I have a swimming pond. Lets see those b*****ds take that!

That reminds me of Chevy Chase talking to Bill Murray - "we have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you"

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I'm unconcerned about limiting the number of people who would buy my house. I'm tired of people who say don't paint your room this color because people won't buy your house, don't put in granite in the kitchen because people want quartz now, put in white kitchen cabinets because everyone wants them and so on. I'm here on Planet Earth for a short time so I'm going to enjoy my time while I'm here. I'm not going to design my house for the next buyer.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I'm unconcerned about limiting the number of people who would buy my house. I'm tired of people who say don't paint your room this color because people won't buy your house, don't put in granite in the kitchen because people want quartz now, put in white kitchen cabinets because everyone wants them and so on. I'm here on Planet Earth for a short time so I'm going to enjoy my time while I'm here. I'm not going to design my house for the next buyer.

Yep, only your taste is what matters! Hope you never "Have to sell" your house. Times change and things happens.