Any kayak hunters?

the sarge

Six Pointer
Bought myself a new kayak the other day with the intent of using it to fish and hunt from. Plan to try to use it in the smaller creeks and flooded timber areas around Camp Lejeune. Looking to see if anyone's got some valuable tips for kayak hunting. Right now I plan to travel light with about 6-12 decoys, blind bag, and gun. I expect the majority of what I will find is woodies. I have a 12 ft sit on kayak that's wide enough and stable enough to stand in. I was thinking about a simple burlap blind but not sure if it's worth the effort.

Sapperman

Spike
Bought myself a new kayak the other day with the intent of using it to fish and hunt from. Plan to try to use it in the smaller creeks and flooded timber areas around Camp Lejeune. Looking to see if anyone's got some valuable tips for kayak hunting. Right now I plan to travel light with about 6-12 decoys, blind bag, and gun. I expect the majority of what I will find is woodies. I have a 12 ft sit on kayak that's wide enough and stable enough to stand in. I was thinking about a simple burlap blind but not sure if it's worth the effort.

Do you have Facebook?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/338255616328219

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've used mine a few times. I usually just park in a nitch in the brush along shore somewhere, but my kayak is also camo colored. I'd recommend you also use leashes for your shotgun and paddle. You may need to throw down your paddle quick for a snap shot at ducks coming off the water while under way, and it may end up in the water. The gun leash is for obvious reasons.

I also use a rubber paddle clip (similar to the metal clips used to hold broom handles to walls and door backs) towards the bow of my kayak to hold the barrel of my shotgun, so that it sits right between my legs, ready to grab.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I buy the 12' by 4' camo burlap from Wally world. Fold it so it is 6 by 4', cut about 18-24" slit in the middle the long way while it is folded. Fold it back up and stow in the kayak, when you get to your spot pull it out unfold it and pull it over your head and down to your waist and cover the boat up with it.

the sarge

Six Pointer
I'll check out that Facebook group, thank you.

Good advice on the paddle leashes. I actually made sure I bought 2 before I even left the store with it as I was thinking the same thing. I worked to damn hard to pay for my beretta to loose it in the drink.

My kayak is camo colored. It's a Pelican Catch. I figured the plastic would still have enough shine to it to cause the birds to flair. I like your idea muzzleodor that's a lot simpler than I was thinking.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
I buy the 12' by 4' camo burlap from Wally world. Fold it so it is 6 by 4', cut about 18-24" slit in the middle the long way while it is folded. Fold it back up and stow in the kayak, when you get to your spot pull it out unfold it and pull it over your head and down to your waist and cover the boat up with it.

I like that idea even tho I dont duck hunt

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like we're in a similar situation. I have a plastic John boat that isn't too bad to paddle, I'm gonna be attempting to duck hunt out of it in the creeks at Cherry Point and maybe in the Croatan. It's a little wider than a kayak but I had no problems fishing from it. Once I have a dog and a shotgun though i feel as if it'll be a different matter

the sarge

Six Pointer
Sounds like that should work. I don't have a retriever to cart around but I'm pretty confident I can carry a few dozen decoys, blind bag, and gun without sacrificing any normal kayak gear.

BigDeal84

Spike
I have been duck hunting for 3 years and all of it has been done with kayaks. I have the cheapo's from walmart, sit ins, fairly unstable. I highly recommend a floating gun case and blind bag if you don't have them already. No dog, I become the dog in the kayak so i keep it close enough under some brush or like others mentioned a burlap type material and brush it in. I used Krylon fushion spray paint and some tree branches to camo it up. coated with a matte finish to reduce shine. Found the spray paint at autozones and advanced autos.

Don't try to drag your deeks behind you, way too much drag. I found it better to tie up a second kayak behind me and tow it.

As far as hunting out of it, you can get bungie rope and screw in holders for it along the side of your kayak so you can brush it in. Think of it as a layout goose blind if you plan to sit in while hunting. Get your headlamp on and bring a spotlight.

I love using kayaks, easy to load and launch and quick to hop in and paddle out to the downed duck. Also nice to use when setting up decoys and retrieving them. I've even used as a stepping stool to get up in the blind if elevated. Tie it off to the piling and make sure it doesn't float around too much to disturb the wildlife.

the sarge

Six Pointer
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to use a fabric to cover the kayak as a floating blind. My kayak is a 12ft sit on top with a large open area behind me so plenty of room for my decoys and my blind bag will fit right in front of me. I don't have a floating gun case though and I was debating on if I really need it. I have an additional paddle leash I plan to attach to it already. I expect I will carry 6-12 decoys and 1-2 spinners at most on me and that shouldn't be to bad to cart around.