Shingles-from chicken pox

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Certain I'm having a Shingles outbreak. Any home remedy suggestions from those who have had it. I am already taking acyclovir that I have on hand for fever blisters. It will be late afternoon tomorrow before I can see my Dr. Not too bad so far. Some blisters and pain.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Get to the Dr. and hope he loads you up with cortisone. That is about the only relief for a bad dose.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Get to a doc asap.
Dad had it and they told him not to wait and go to doc or ER soon.

If you really think thats what it is call your doctor after hrs on call or Insurance doc or help line and see.
They may tell you to go fine a doc in the box now.

Dad said there is a treatment or shot but you need it as soon as you have signs.

Maybe someone else knows more.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Don't wait. Go to the ER. Had I waited a day longer, I could have had issues with my eye. A couple weeks ago I posted about being confirmed with RMSF. Blood test and all. I posted it on a Sunday. Later that week, all my rmfs symptoms were easing off, but what we assumed to be my rash from RMSF got worse. I went in to my primary the following Friday and within 15 seconds he diagnosed me with shingles. My immune system took a hit from the rmsf. That coupled with stress made shingles surface. I'm happy to report that both have "run their toll" but I'm still exhausted and have nerve pain from the shingles. Get treatment as soon as you can. It's not fun. Good luck!

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
0707171615a.jpg

The blisters were on top of my head and trickled to my eyebrow. There were 5 or 6 in my eyebrow and one in the outside corner.

The second picture was that Sunday I posted or the next day. The first was the Friday I was seen.

Attachments

• 0702171422.jpg
    0702171422.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And if you have had chicken pox, talk to your Dr about the shingles vaccine. My Dr suggested it when I hit 60. No brainer for me as I had seen a neighbor suffer with shingles.

JakeH

Four Pointer
Hope it ends up pretty mild if that is indeed shingles. My grandmother went through a spell where it seemed like she got them once a year.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Get to the ER or doctor asap. I came down with shingles on new years day 2010. I had to drive to Jacksonville, NC and back home that day. I started the day with what I thought was a rash diagonally around my torso and by that evening it looked like someone had taken a belt sander halfway around my midsection. The doc told me I had the worse case of them that he had seen in a decade. It was a rough few weeks and it is something I don't care to go through again!

<>< Fish

Last edited:

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
I wouldn't wait as others have said, it can get really bad and with the heat the way it is if you are outside you will be miserable for weeks if it breaks out all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

witler

Eight Pointer
Do as everyone has suggested, seek medical attention ASAP. Years ago after heart bypass surgery, my immune system was low so bam Shingles hit. I had it on my collar bone area and shoulder bone area, I could not even wear a shirt. I must say the pain level made the heart surgery seem like a church picnic, the intensity of the pain was the worst that I have ever had.
Good luck and may comfort be with you.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for responding!! Due to being needed at 6 AM, I wasn't able to go anywhere last night. Got to see my Dr. early this morning rather than later. Once I said I already had the blisters they worked me in early. The acyclovir I started taking yesterday was a good start. Mine were 200mg and the doc upped it to 800mg. 5 per day for 7 days, 300mg of gabapentin once a day, and a cream with aloe and lidocaine. So far not so bad. A little run down/sick feeling with some discomfort where the rash/blisters are and a headache. Dr. said the acyclovir should reduce the likely hood of long term nerve pain. Said some people experience that for weeks or months. Don't want to be one of them. Thanks again.

witler

Eight Pointer
Whatever you do don't touch the blisters and then touch around your eyes, can cause blindness. My blisters lasted for about a month but the pain remained for about six months.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Hope all works out. I had the singles last year, nearly a year ago. I still have nerve issues, not painful but is noticeable. I was not given any of the Rx your doctor prescribed.

I advise any person able to get the vaccine to do so.

The Lock

Six Pointer
Thanks for responding!! Due to being needed at 6 AM, I wasn't able to go anywhere last night. Got to see my Dr. early this morning rather than later. Once I said I already had the blisters they worked me in early. The acyclovir I started taking yesterday was a good start. Mine were 200mg and the doc upped it to 800mg. 5 per day for 7 days, 300mg of gabapentin once a day, and a cream with aloe and lidocaine. So far not so bad. A little run down/sick feeling with some discomfort where the rash/blisters are and a headache. Dr. said the acyclovir should reduce the likely hood of long term nerve pain. Said some people experience that for weeks or months. Don't want to be one of them. Thanks again.

Whatever you do. Do not let your girlfriend or wife rub it down with Capzaizin. Makes the pain dissapear if you can take the burn. I wont be letting her do that again. LOL.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good to hear they saw you quick. I hope your recovery goes well. I wrapped my head in an ace bandage and kept a gauze over the blisters. The pressure from the gauze really helped the itching. Did nothing for the burning or pain, but those were a little easier to ignore than the itch.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The burning and itching was a cake walk, compared to the nerve pain and the total exhaustion.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
...and the total exhaustion.

I guess it all depends where it hits. I barely touched my head for fear of transferring it to my eye. The nerve pain, so far, comes in waves and is annoying, but for me, the itching nearly drove me insane. The exhaustion though, I can definitely agree with that. No amount of sleep feels like enough. Coffee doesn't work. False motivation is king. Regardless of what I felt and still do, I feel blessed to only have had what I did. I know it could have been much worse.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I had shingles on my back I could hardly wear a shirt it was so sensitive and painful.. I went to my Doctor and he gave me a shot and some pills..In just a few days the shingles were gone,haven't had them since..

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Please DO NOT go to the ER if you think you may have Shingles unless you absolutely have no options.....Shingles can be fatal in chronically ill, acutely ill or immune compromised patients. Instead see your primary care provider or go to the nearest urgent care. Although uncomfortable, Shingles are NOT dangerous to otherwise healthy young and middle aged patients. You DO need to get properly diagnosed and then started on an antiviral ASAP.... Once your acute case is resolved, get the vaccination. You may still get Shingles in the future, but it won't be nearly as severe......

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Mine started out as a sharp horrible stabbing in my head. Like someone was stabbing me with an ice pick. That went on for a day or two before my wife(shes a nurse and knew something was wrong) set me an appointment. The doctor right off the bat suggested shingles but I had no blisters. That was a Friday morning and that night the blisters started on my scalp and eventually ended up by my right temple. I called the doctor right away Saturday morning and was on the anti-viral within just a couple hours. The nerve sensitivity was the worst for me. Felt like someone was rolling a pizza cutter with needles on it over my head. I had a small reoccurrence 2 months later. All in all it was nothing compared horror stories I've heard.

The Lock

Six Pointer
When I had them it was on the left side of my torso. Felt like an awful pain right beside my lung. First few days felt like I had the flu, muscles and joints hurting, no fever, just felt bad plus this awful pain deep in the tissue of the left side of body. Hope I never have them again. Definitely no fun.

Last edited:

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
When I had them it was on the left side of my torso. Felt like an awful pain right beside my lung. First few days felt like I had the flu, muscles and joints hurting, no fever, just felt bad plus this awful pain deep in the tissue of the left side of body. Hope I never have them again. Definitely no fun.

That's how it started for me too....like a fire down my torso

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Certain I'm having a Shingles outbreak. Any home remedy suggestions from those who have had it. I am already taking acyclovir that I have on hand for fever blisters. It will be late afternoon tomorrow before I can see my Dr. Not too bad so far. Some blisters and pain.

Yes don't wait. I did and by the time I saw the doc he said there wasn't much he could do about it.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Mine started out as a sharp horrible stabbing in my head. Like someone was stabbing me with an ice pick. That went on for a day or two before my wife(shes a nurse and knew something was wrong) set me an appointment. The doctor right off the bat suggested shingles but I had no blisters. That was a Friday morning and that night the blisters started on my scalp and eventually ended up by my right temple. I called the doctor right away Saturday morning and was on the anti-viral within just a couple hours. The nerve sensitivity was the worst for me. Felt like someone was rolling a pizza cutter with needles on it over my head. I had a small reoccurrence 2 months later. All in all it was nothing compared horror stories I've heard.

Well damn if I ain't on my 3rd outbreak in a year. This one is pretty painful and affecting my eye this time. Going to he Dr in the Morning to figure out why this is happening again.

Attachments

• 20180417_221926.jpg
    20180417_221926.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 30

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
There is a new vaccine out that is 95% effective vs about 50% with the old one. You can get it even if you’ve had the other one. My wife has already had her first shot, it’s a two dose type, and I’m up for mine after turkey season. It does make you a little flu like for one day afterwards. Most insurance plans will cover it.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Zoster (shingles) is suppressed by the immune system in healthy individuals, i.e.- you have the virus but have no symptoms. It will never so away, you will always have it but...it should be suppressed by a healthy immune system. When the immune system is lowered, it allows the virus to flare. So recurrent episodes would make us concerned for a lowered immune system. I assume you are not on any immune system modulators for other conditions? Otherwise, I would let your PCP know of the recurrent nature recently and let them perform a basic work up.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Zoster (shingles) is suppressed by the immune system in healthy individuals, i.e.- you have the virus but have no symptoms. It will never so away, you will always have it but...it should be suppressed by a healthy immune system. When the immune system is lowered, it allows the virus to flare. So recurrent episodes would make us concerned for a lowered immune system. I assume you are not on any immune system modulators for other conditions? Otherwise, I would let your PCP know of the recurrent nature recently and let them perform a basic work up.

Well I've been sick pretty much off and on for the last 4 months with my 2yr old bringing home every little bug you can imagine from preschool. In fact I had come down with a cold just the week before this outbreak started last week. Add to that a total of 840 hours worked in 4 months and fatigue along with illness has me pretty worn out.