Advice on Selling Your Home

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
24 Months on the market over the past 30 months.

- Don't try to sell a $280000 home in a $130000 county.....in fact, don't buy a $280000 home in a $130000 county.

- Your life will be hell as you try your best to live in your home in a way that doesn't look like two adults, three children, a mother in law, 4 dogs, 2 rats and all the children's friends also live there.

- Your life will descend into the infernal realm as you try to pack all of the above into a car on 30 minutes notice that a potential customer wants to see the home.....the longer you went with out a showing the more likely it is the dog will crap on the floor just as you're going out the door and the customer pulls in at the same time.

- You will get low balled. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

- No matter what color you paint the interior, it will be wrong.....the same go's for new cabinets, new floors, new roof, new walls, new yard, new driveway, ........insert your upgrade here......

- If the house is brick, it'll be wrong after they look at it, same for siding, vynal, T111, random rock, stucco, etc.....

- Whether or not you landscape it, it will be wrong.

- Do not post the floor plan on line in the MLS, or Do....either way, the floor plan won't work after the customer sees the house.

- The deck will either be too big, too small, too high, too low, crooked, not round, too rough on the decking, needs paint, wrong color if just painted, etc.

- No matter how much you clean, the buyers will find a dog hair and demand that the house boiled in bleach before they make an offer.

- Your children will not be well behaved whenever you have to trundle them out to the car for a showing....neither will your dogs. In fact, the children and the dogs will all be in the back of the car howling and fighting until the showing is over.

- Your Mother in Law will be participating in the Dog-Child fights, alternating sides at random.

- Don't bother advertising the size of your lot, it is the wrong size by default for every single customer, including the final buyer.

Finally.....

I think its best to consider,......

Next time you want to sell your home, Don't.

Just let the bank Forclose on it. Its got to be easier.

God help me....I signed the sale contract today and I hope like hellsbells that this is it!

Last edited:

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
I learned this very lesson 7-8 years ago.

Hopefully it will go thru for you and you will be done with it.

Good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Best of luck, hope it works out.

I had the opposite problem. I sold our home to soon. We ended up renting it back from the buyer till the our new home was finished. I was very grateful, as plan B was to move in with the in-laws. I wasn't sure if I could self medicate enough to make that bearable.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yep.....looking for retirement home. $150K ish, low maintenance, country setting. Shoot/hunt/urinate in back yard. Garage/workshop. Simple. We hope to find it soon and avoid renting and the attendant additional moves from home to rental to home.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Best of luck, hope it works out.

I had the opposite problem. I sold our home to soon. We ended up renting it back from the buyer till the our new home was finished. I was very grateful, as plan B was to move in with the in-laws. I wasn't sure if I could self medicate enough to make that bearable.

Our market is a lot different dpc. I listen to the weekly real estate updates on WHKP and they're always saying that if you have a house in that $170K to $270K range, they don't stay on the market long no matter what it looks like!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Lasttombstone,

Yeah Man! Gotta start by trundling all the furniture to the kids. I ain't keeping any of it. I'm moving clothing, guns, ammo and some MREs and some good single malt scotch whiskee and maybe, my wife. That's it! Simple.

Friday is officially 27 months to full retirement and if the BRAC law holds true, the actual retirement could occur as early as October 2017. (I don't hold out hopes for an early retirement but at least now, the odds are about 40% that I could get a full out about 2 years early, and that I will NOT turn down!)

Last edited:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Our market is a lot different dpc. I listen to the weekly real estate updates on WHKP and they're always saying that if you have a house in that $170K to $270K range, they don't stay on the market long no matter what it looks like!

Yep. That's how it is down here. My friends are looking to downsize and every time they find a decent home that meets their needs it's gone before they make a decision. I'll probably stay where I am for another 3-5 and then be looking to downsize. Should be about paid off by then.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
We are seeing the same thing, smaller/less expensive properties and mortgages are selling fast around here. Big stuff is not so much. We'd found the place we wanted, several days of negotiation on the sale of ours and the one we were ready to make a full price offer on is under contract...so, back to shopping.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns

They do if it's the nicest in the neighborhood and every other house is 50-100k less

Last edited:

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^Bunncome County was and maybe still is the highest average home sale in the state, it's rediculous.

The problem I see is the only homes they are building are 350k plus, it's going to squeeze the average family out of Henderson and Buncome county. Already kind of is IMO.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Most the houses in the raleigh area sell fast other than the 600 to 900 market.
Few close to me in the 240 to 280 range sold in a few days or less.
Had two people at work sold in the first showing in about 15 min. One 218k the other was 250ish.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
You forgot the most important rule to selling a house...$1000 due diligence to take your house off the market cuts out the BS in a sales contract. If you need a home inspector to help you nego. your original offer then I need a grand to put up with your BS. This worked good for me...take it or leave it.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
We have $1000 due diligence and $3000 Ernest money deposits. I feel its pretty solid. And in nc all homes are sold as is where is. So nothing has to be fixed if seller is willing to risk loosing the customer

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
^Bunncome County was and maybe still is the highest average home sale in the state, it's rediculous.

The problem I see is the only homes they are building are 350k plus, it's going to squeeze the average family out of Henderson and Buncome county. Already kind of is IMO.

There's homes (new) in the 200s, just have to look

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
We just closed on our old one a couple of weeks ago. It sat on militarybyowner.com for a couple of months. I put it on Zillow and it was under contract in 3 days by the first person I showed it to. Got above asking price so they could pay their realtor. My experience with realtors wasn't that great when I bought and tried to sell it the first time. Seems like I did all the work, including finding the place, and the realtor got the money. When we finally sold it, their realtor was so incompetant that they did the inspections 3 days after the DD period ended.

If you are looking to build, there's some 10 acre wooded lots over in Bunnlevel available. No one cares if you shoot, hunt, or urinate in the back yard (or front yard for that matter). Just don't use Valuebuild Homes in Sanford.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Lasttombstone,

Yeah Man! Gotta start by trundling all the furniture to the kids. I ain't keeping any of it. I'm moving clothing, guns, ammo and some MREs and some good single malt scotch whiskee and maybe, my wife. That's it! Simple.

Friday is officially 27 months to full retirement and if the BRAC law holds true, the actual retirement could occur as early as October 2017. (I don't hold out hopes for an early retirement but at least now, the odds are about 40% that I could get a full out about 2 years early, and that I will NOT turn down!)

Wow! With a list like that ^^ I would have trouble prioritizing it for the move!! Best wishes for finding your perfect retirement home!

Hunter

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. Timing is a key. Right now just seein what's in a 100 mile radius of Sanford with a focus on west of there

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Average time on market in Wake county is like 33 days, ppl are starting to weigh the benefits of driving further vs living in town where prices are high. I have also heard some lenders moving from 50% to 45% debt to income ratio, making it easier to qualify. I don't see this market changing soon.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
as a good friend recently told me on selling things,,,,,,price it right and it sells fast,,,,,

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Well, lets see....We purchased it for 254700 in August of 10, it appraised for 280000. (Pre 2007 market crash appraisial was $340000)

So....on the Now....254000 is technically about $30000 under market and on the face a $2000 loss. But we'll ditch the big mortgage for one the retirement 401K can handle, pay the realtor, purchase a retirement property with the equity and sheltered an average $9000b interest per year for 7 years.

As for pricing it right....who knows. We priced well under market for two years and it took two years

skydog

All comes down to location. If you're in the right location, your home can suffer from all kinds of sins and buyers don't care. If it's in the wrong location, buyers will nitpick and lowball over what color the inside of a closet is painted.