Cheap Decoys

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
This year will be my first time duck hunting alone. Before I always went with an older cousin who had decoys. Now that I'm on my own I need to stock up. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. Do cheaper duck decoys work, or is it really worth the extra money? I feel like I'd be better getting a few sets of cheaper decoys than one set of really nice ones. Anyone have any brands in mind? While we're at it, any good brands of inexpensive waders?

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
What species and environment are you hunting. 6 good decoys with 3 rigged on a jerk string will do the job better than 3 dozen still decoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
+1 ^ buy the best you can afford right now. If you're just staying out I don't think you will be doing big diver rigs. You don't need many. When I was in Nodak we had the best luck with a dozen or less. I brought that back here and regularly take 6 into the swamp.

Sapperman

Spike
In limited experience less is more, whenever I go with my buddy who grew up in Kansas we through out a shitton of decoys.

When I go myself it's 6-12, I kill more ducks than he does...

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Right now it's looking like it'll mostly be creeks in Eastern NC, Craven County area. I might give the Croatan impoundment a try but I've heard a lot of bad things. I'll probably be getting wood duck decoys.

skydog

I would agree with others- if you're going to be hunting small waters focus on quality over quantity. Every time I've bought cheap decoys I've ended up regretting it. Spend a little extra and get 6-12 good decoys and a jerk rig.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Craigslist. You can find better quality cheaper and save the hassle of tying the weights on.

I don't think the ducks mind cheaper decoys, it's more a longevity user friendly thing.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Right now it's looking like it'll mostly be creeks in Eastern NC, Craven County area. I might give the Croatan impoundment a try but I've heard a lot of bad things. I'll probably be getting wood duck decoys.

Don't waste your money on wood ducks a wood duck will come into a spread of mallards however it's harder to get mallards to land in a spread of woodies.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Don't waste your money on wood ducks a wood duck will come into a spread of mallards however it's harder to get mallards to land in a spread of woodies.

Good to know, thank you. I've heard there's not a lot of mallards in this area, will most duck species come into mallard decoys or would I be better off tailoring to a specific species (other than woodies)?

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Good to know, thank you. I've heard there's not a lot of mallards in this area, will most duck species come into mallard decoys or would I be better off tailoring to a specific species (other than woodies)?

What area are you in? There are mallards here we kill plenty

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns

Personally I try to limit my mallards unless it's the sole target. Mallards will pretty much come to anything while other ducks can be a little more cautious. My swamp spread consists of a few flocked mallards but mostly gadwalls and black ducks. The dark black ducks are much more visable to passing birds as well as larger. The gadwalls are pretty cautious in general so I feel like they work as a confidence decoy as well. I've had pretty good luck setting that mix out in scattered pairs and integrating a jerk string.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
What area are you in? There are mallards here we kill plenty

I'm in Craven County, Havelock. Most of my hunting this year will be for wood ducks on small creeks, but I may try to Waterfowl Impoundment in the Croatan as well. According to ncwildlife.org the impoundment is best for woodies, green wing teal and ring necks.

Last edited: