dove hunting

remingtonman

Four Pointer
Can anyone offer some advice on building an artificial powerline for dove hunting? I have a dove field on my land and I figure this would help.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I put up two in May. This is my first experience with it, so it's still untested. I anchored 1/8" cable on trees using eye bolts and used a come along to tension it.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I would start by sinking PVC in the the ground near where you want to hunt. Put your posts in the PVC. That way you can take it down after the season and put it back up the next season. Also by using the PVC, you can put decoys on the line while it is still on the ground. Just make sure the PVC is far enough below ground so it doesn't interfere with mowing or tilling.

cgrhyne

Six Pointer
Can anyone offer some advice on building an artificial powerline for dove hunting? I have a dove field on my land and I figure this would help.

Where is your dove field at? If around the Lincoln county area, I know a father/son that may come do it for you if you let us hunt. Pops is lineman, has been for 37 years... he's had practice.

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer
When our boys were younger we would put up trees in our fields for the doves. A couple weeks before season, so birds would get used to the trees, we would cut down a 5-6 inch maple about 18-20 ft tall. Trim most of the limbs off, leaving just a 2 or 3, and all leaves. Dig a 2 foot hole and "plant" tree. Opening day morning, take tree down an mount a couple decoys and put back up. Easy one man do. Then set one of the younger boys there to shoot.