target shooting public game land

doodly

Can you target shoot on public game lands? I'm new to bow hunting and would like to get in some practice shooting from a climber.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
unless it's a designated range I'd be cautious or at least talk with local game warden first,,,,,,, no way for anyone that sees you up in a tree or coming out of the woods that you were "just" target shooting,,,,,

and welcome to the forum

Last edited:

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
You can, but do not take any broadheads with you. I asked this specific question on facebook to NCWRC. Here is their answer;

IMG_20170716_115832.jpg

doodly

You can, but do not take any broadheads with you. I asked this specific question on facebook to NCWRC. Here is their answer;

Perfect. Yea, I was just planning on taking some arrows with field points and a bag target. Thanks!

doodly

Where do yo live you can't shoot a bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm near Crossroads Cary. I've shot at First Flight up in north Raleigh, but was looking for somewhere to shoot from a climber. Is there anywhere else in Raleigh where it's safe to shoot?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm near Crossroads Cary. I've shot at First Flight up in north Raleigh, but was looking for somewhere to shoot from a climber. Is there anywhere else in Raleigh where it's safe to shoot?

The Durham County Wildlife Club has an archery range with elevated shooting positions and 3D targets.

http://dcwc.info/

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
In the Croatan there is no target shooting whatsoever. I emailed the NCWRC and they "encouraged" no hunting with 1/2 mile of any recreation area (picnic area, trails, etc)

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

I was glad to see your post. I decided to look up the regulations after reading it. Two things were specifically interesting to me in the WRC rule 15A NCAC 02D .0102
http://reports.oah.state.nc.us/ncac/title%2015a%20-%20environmental%20quality/chapter%2010%20-%20wildlife%20resources%20and%20water%20safety/subchapter%20d/15a%20ncac%2010d%20.0102.html

First is that the rule confirm target shooting means discharge of firearms, not bows. Specifically, the definition is in Paragraph (a)(2).

"Target shooting" means the discharge of a firearm for purposes other than hunting, trapping, or self-defense."

The second interesting item is the discharge of weapons or firearms on state game lands. While Jordan and Butner-Falls of Neuse generally have more restrictions, the shooting of a bow near a residence is not one of them. Specifically in Paragraph (d), it says

"(d) Use of weapons. No person shall discharge:
(1) any weapon within 150 yards of any game land building or designated game land camping area, except where posted otherwise;
(2) any weapon within 150 yards of any residence located on or adjacent to game lands, except on Butner-Falls of Neuse and Jordan game lands; and
(3) any firearm within 150 yards of any residence located on or adjacent to Butner-Falls of Neuse and Jordan Game Lands."

While other game lands have 150 yard residence restrictions on weapons (firearms and archery), Butner and Jordan only have 150 yard restrictions on firearms.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
I would imagine it is because many areas on Butner and Jordan are so close to the nearby houses on one side and water on the other.

I kept that message from NCWRC just in case a game warden wanted to get testy about it. I would encourage others to know the law referenced above as well.

Now, let's go do some roving and stumping! Deer season is nearing!!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I would imagine it is because many areas on Butner and Jordan are so close to the nearby houses on one side and water on the other.

I kept that message from NCWRC just in case a game warden wanted to get testy about it. I would encourage others to know the law referenced above as well.

Now, let's go do some roving and stumping! Deer season is nearing!!

Sometimes the game land laws don't make much sense. I have a buddy that owns a home with the Jordan game lands behind his house. As an extreme example: During rifle season, he could set up at 149 yards from his residence because he is on his private property. At 150 yards, he would be on game lands and now could not hunt. At 151 yards, he would again be legal. The yardage restriction applies to the owner's residence too.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I would text my local game warden before I embarked on a stump shooting rove. I've always wanted to scout during March and April while stump shooting and always thought it was illegal. With this new info I will be talking to my local warden.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Have the law readily available to you, Kevin, and the screenshot above. I got the word from Raleigh. If a warden charged you, it would be egg on his or her face in court.

Previous parts of that message were the person writing the replies had to leave the office to seek an enforcement officer's opinion on the matter. After the consultation you see the reply above, which aligns itself with what hombre reinforced with said statute.

You are good to stump shoot.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Just remember that all target shooting is now prohibited on GL's located within a certain distance of a NCWRC range. Now that Holly Shelter has a range all target shooting outside of the the range complex is prohibited with a certain distance of this GL. I need to find the reg and make sure.

Here are all of the NCAC rules pertaining to GL's. Check the listed GL and it will tell you if target shooting is prohibited.

http://ncrules.state.nc.us/ncac/tit...er safety/subchapter d/15a ncac 10d .0103.pdf

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Just remember that all target shooting is now prohibited on GL's located within a certain distance of a NCWRC range. Now that Holly Shelter has a range all target shooting outside of the the range complex is prohibited with a certain distance of this GL. I need to find the reg and make sure.

Here are all of the NCAC rules pertaining to GL's. Check the listed GL and it will tell you if target shooting is prohibited.

http://ncrules.state.nc.us/ncac/tit...er safety/subchapter d/15a ncac 10d .0103.pdf

This thread is about target shooting using a bow. The game lands that list "target shooting is prohibited" is prohibiting the shooting of firearms, not bows.