Any gunsmiths here familiar with the 1903A3?

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
Bought a 1903A3 today. Worked fine in the shop. Got it home, put some rounds in the magazine. Tried to chamber one, and ran into a problem. The extractor rises up a bit and hits the receiver. I am able to push it down/rotate it and it will clear it, but that seems to be an improper function to me. The pictures hopefully provide a better understanding. Wondering if there is something I can do to fix it, or does it need to go to a local smith? There's one in Lillington that threaded my barrel, but I don't know if they do this type of repair.
Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture3.jpg

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have built several.
Pull the extractor and chamber a round. See if it checks out and functions normal.
Also pull from wood and make sure the witness mark line up.
chances are the extractor just needs to be replaced. From the color it looks like someone may have tried to replace it, could be a bad part or just not correct part.

Looks like it is in the grove on the brass and that is where it gets pushed out. If the extractor is bad there is not enough spring to hold it in place tight.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like someone put a new extractor on it and didn't get it fitted properly. Not a difficult fix and you could probably correct if yourself.

That extractor should lift outward as it rides over the rim of the case and should return to pretty much the exact same position as it was without a round in the bolt face. You can check this with the bolt out of the rifle. Take the bolt and slide a round into the bolt face. Check the tension or how hard the claw extractor face engages or is hitting the case in the recess (extractor grove) of the case. If it engages it hard then, the extractor needs to be trimmed on the inside and beveled to match the case (extractor grove) recess. The extractor should be barely touching the case in the case recess or have about .003" clearance. If the extractor is correctly fitted, a loaded case inserted under the extractor will wobble around but will not fall out hold in the bolt face. Sounds to me like you have the extractor hitting the case very hard thus pushing the extractor out way to far and hitting the inside of the action, and it needs to be trimmed back some for a correct fit.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
If it engages it hard then, the extractor needs to be trimmed on the inside and beveled to match the case (extractor grove) recess.

Went back and looked at it. This seems to be the issue. The round isn't seating fully into the bolt face until it is practically in the chamber. The extractor is being pushed out so that it interferes with the receiver. Definitely a tight fit under the extractor with the bolt out of the gun. Probably should take it to the smith since someone's been monkeying with it, and I have too many other projects right now. I'll be shooting it sooner than if I did it myself. Thanks guys!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
1shot,
something looks off about that extractor.
I question if it is even good.
the last pic shows several marks that does not look correct even if it could be fitted.
Went and looked at a few of mine and the finish, cut and tool marks look off.

AM
it is an easy fix. You should be able to do it.
If it were mine I would just replace the extractor and see how that does.
Very few I have messed with needed much of any fitting.
You may find a good replacement that is drop in.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Gadget, those marks you are referring to appears to me to be marks from where someone attempted to fit the extractor, but didn't get it fitted correctly. I have fitted many claw extractors on several variations of Mausers (98's, 48's, 96's, commercial, etc.), 1903's, 1917's, etc. Very few have been correct when installed and most have had to be fitted. It is not difficult but you do need to pay attention to the fit on the cartridge recess and the angle. Like I said, there should be very little if any contact with the extractor and the case. The extractor is just that the extractor, it is not intended for holding the case in the bolt face. A properly fitted extractor will never leave a mark on the case or rim. An extractor that fits very tight and has a lot of tension on the case, will snap the claw portion off eventually. As far as that one in the photos, if it is suspect then he should have it replaced with a new one and correctly fitted. You can find new ones for about $17 at Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Corp or on eBay for around $10-$15.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I replaced the extractor with a Remington one I got off eBay for about $12. Fixed the problem. Now, I just need to get some time to shoot. Took the last two days off work, and my boy got kicked out of daycare yesterday with a 101 fever. Figures.