great day on the water

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
went bottom fishing yesterday,,,,got to meet btsharky which was a pleasure

caught ringtails, chocolate porgy, black sea bass, b-liners, silver snappers, and 4 billion grunts (most small but some nice ones,),,,,,,seen some nice American Red Snappers caught,,,,

had a great time,,,,,WAY HOT but thankfully ol' btsharky read the wind forecast right and we were on the shaded side of the boat 95% of the day!

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I had a GREAT time fishing with you woodmoose and can't wait to do it again...........on a cooler day. Just got done filleting my catch and got enough for supper and put a few bags up. I think it was just as hot cleaning them this afternoon.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so Friday evening I ate a bit of each of the fish I caught (except the vermillion snapper - already knew I liked them) to "taste test",,,,,,,they were lightly coated with some Uncle Bucks spicy coating I had left over,,,,,,,

in order of preference:

• silver snapper
  • chocolate porgy
  • black sea bass (wife's favorite though)
  • grunt
  • ringtail (didn't like the flavor at all - will try grilling it next time)

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I blackened a few pieces last night and my favorite was triggerfish followed by silver snapper. I agree about the ringtails, they are a little strong to me but my neighbors love them so I always bring them home.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Glad y'all were able to get out and had some good luck with the fish...Black Sea Bass are one of my favorites to eat when they are fresh... I won't turn down a fresh Spanish or Bluefish either..

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
There was not a grouper bite. Did not see one all day long. Didn't understand it since it was a rocky bottom and we were catching grunts. Good luck next weekend:fishing:

Last edited:

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
It is a silver reef fish that has a black ring around the base of his tail. I think he is in the porgy family.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Grunt is one of my favorites. We always have trouble catching one big enough to filet down in the keys. The small ones make great live bait.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can post some pictures of grouper and snapper that will make you all jealous. I have a 39 hour middle grounds trip scheduled for next weekend out of hubbards marina and then Aug 11th I have a 44 hour trip booked out of St Pete. The mangrove snapper bite and red grouper fishing have been hot lately.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Well it's about 100 miles out to that area to fish, so you ride for 6 hours or so out, then fish and then it's at least a 6, maybe 8 hour run back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Gulf only drops about 1 foot per mile or so.....it's crazy honestly

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have done some of the three day dry tortuga trips back in the 90s.....they have bunks and all the cabins have a/c so it's not to bad. You fish when you want to and nap when you need to. These trips have been on my bucket list and I am finally getting to scratch them off. I also want to do a pulley ridge trip. Those are 4 day trips and you fish anywhere from 1600 ft to shallower during the day for huge snowy grouper, yellow edge grouper, barrel fish and queen snapper, then move up on the ridge at night for huge mutton snapper and red grouper. May try that one in September or October.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have done some of the three day dry tortuga trips back in the 90s.....they have bunks and all the cabins have a/c so it's not to bad. You fish when you want to and nap when you need to. These trips have been on my bucket list and I am finally getting to scratch them off. I also want to do a pulley ridge trip. Those are 4 day trips and you fish anywhere from 1600 ft to shallower during the day for huge snowy grouper, yellow edge grouper, barrel fish and queen snapper, then move up on the ridge at night for huge mutton snapper and red grouper. May try that one in September or October.

They use electric reels, if not one fish would wear me out. LOL!

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
They use electric reels, if not one fish would wear me out. LOL!

Yeah the daiwa tancomas are what most guys use. You have to fish your electric setup from your hands, i.e. Holding the rod, instead of from a rod holder. But there are some guys who do hand crank those depths.