Ideas for building a shooting bench

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I have a bunch of long 2x4s - 12 footer I think, and 6 or so 8' 4x4s left over from when my fence was built. I'd like to turn them into a shooting bench for my range. I've seen some ideas online, but nothing that is purely 2x4s and 4x4s. Anyone got some ideas?

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Stole this from the web but if I were building one it would be like this.

Ooops....link didnt work, but it was from Marlin Talk.

Looked similar to this one.
2e06d16765263fc1ff9fa7eb11f582fc.jpg

sent from...... Tapatalk

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
After a 30 second look, I see what you mean. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but have you thought of subbing 2x4s for the 2x6s? Just divide the given width for the table top by 3.5 and that will give you the number of 2x4s needed. If it doesn't come out to an even number just round up. Then sub the 4x4s in place of the 2x6 legs.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
After a 30 second look, I see what you mean. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but have you thought of subbing 2x4s for the 2x6s? Just divide the given width for the table top by 3.5 and that will give you the number of 2x4s needed. If it doesn't come out to an even number just round up. Then sub the 4x4s in place of the 2x6 legs.

I thought about it, but wondered about stability and strength.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Using MJ74s as an example; using 2x4s,I'd just add a diagonal brace on the left and right, from front to back, and call it good.

Last edited:

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
This is the style benches that I built for my range. I went 6" wider on each side than these photos. I used these photos as a guide and model for my benches.

Rt_Front.jpg

Lt_Front.jpg

Rear2.jpg

Rt_Rear.jpg

Top9.jpg

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
The ones 1Shot posted are similar to the ones at the new Holly Shelter range. They were pretty comfortable (for a wood bench) and good and sturdy.

Old Coach

Four Pointer
If you plan to shoot long range--600+yds don't attach the seat to the
table. The least bit of wobble will cause a lot of misses.

Crappie man

Six Pointer
Built this one last year.Left the seating off so I could handle it better in and out of truck. Works great can't believe I waited all these years to make one.

shooting bench.jpg

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
Wel, this is what I ended up with. The legs are 4x4s. It's sturdy enough for a 250lb guy to stand on top of without wobbling. I need to knock the corners off the edges so no one gets splinters, but it will work. I have the material to build a second,
but it would take up my pistol bay, which means I'd need to develop a counter that would fold out of the way for rifle shooting.

Picture1.jpg