Checked my cams. House cat or bob cat?

92xj

Eight Pointer
come on September!
35715396501_eb94974bfe_c.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
with the flora in the photo it has to be eastern NC :rolleyes:.and we know that all their panthers are black so it must be a fake photo.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Not Colorado and not a coat.
This spot is actually where I got my elk two years ago. Getting plenty of elk on cam this year as well. Pics of elk hours before and hours after the cat came through. Have no other pictures of the cat. I imagine I'll never see him again. They say out here the cats have a 60 mile travel corridor.

92xj

Eight Pointer
When I hunt out west thats the only animal I worry about!! Dang things are so quiet!! Ask me how I know.
They do make the hair stand up on the neck, but they sure don't like hanging around you when you come across one. The closest I have been is 15 paces, after the intitial stare down, he bolted, silently and disappeared in thin air. Freaky!! But I think you and I should be more worried about grizzlies and not the cats.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
But I think you and I should be more worried about grizzlies and not the cats.

Agreed - cougars look at you with disdain just like a domestic cat but a Grizzly just plain has an attitude! I'll take being within feet/yards of the mt lion always over that close to a grizzly

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Having hunted and taken both of these animals,both can be freaky scary at times cats because they are so quiet,grizzlies because if you are within a few yards of them your butt is most of the time already in a bind.Grizzlies are born with a attitude they react different minute to minute you may come upon one 100 yards away from you he may turn and walk away get 30 or 40 yards farther away from you and decide to turn around an charge you.The first one I ever took did this.Given a way out most of the time a cat will leave besides if a cat is hunting you are not going to know it until he is already on you.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Cool pic.

92xj, you might have to take rock throwing lessons from 25contender. IIRC:eek:

92xj

Eight Pointer
Lead or broadhead throwing is what I'll be doing. Have the tag in my pocket. But seeing him is highly unlikely.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I'll bite, how do you know?

From a post a few years ago.
How to start this post?? I finally have a few moments to sit down and make a post from my two week solo Elk bowhunt.As I have mentioned before this is my 20th Season elk hunting in Montana. I have never carried a side arm during all my trips. I have always thought that the extra weight would be to much. I also thought it would be awkward carrying it with a pack on all the time. The hunt I just returned from might have changed my mind. Over the years I have always seen Bears and a few skiddish wolves and never had any encounter that I felt uncomfortable with.

I had been doing some glassing and finally found a few nice bulls to go after. I hunted them hard a few days and found a trail below a large rock slide that they had been using every other day early in the morning . Sort of a pinch point. One morning I decided to go in early and set up in a good spot I had cleared out between two trees to see if they would pass through. As the sun started to come up I heard a very light sound behind me on a rock trail not more than 10ft behind me. I turned to look over my shoulder and there was the culprit a pretty good size Tom MT lion. He was crouched down facing me with his tail wrapped around the front of him!! This dude had totally snuck up on me and I have great hearing. Instinctively I turned and faced him my bow on the ground and tried to scare him of by giving him a generous shout. All he did was to inch a little closer and let out his own displeasure by growling and hissing at me. By this time only a minute or so had passed by and I am thinking Mark Chops for breakfast!!
Now a little flustered and my bow on the ground to far to reach, I un-clipped my sheath knife and opted for a good size rock while keeping my eye on him. With a good grip on the rock I threw the rock hitting him square in the chest. I know I know a rock!!! Anyway at that point he jumped in the air and vanished into the timber.
After all the years I have been doing this I have never really considered Mt Lions as a threat as they are so elusive but this one was so stealthy and snuck right up on me getting so close!! He definitely got my attention and has me thinking about carrying my side arm from now on.

Anyone need a pitcher!

Last edited:

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Unnerving situation for sure but wow isnt that why we love the outdoors and the chase. You never know what you will encounter along the way! Thanks for sharing.