Say what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I have a new neighbor that seems to think it's okay for his cats (6 of the SOB's) to roam at will and crap in my flowerbeds and anywhere they wish. I seem to think different, so I called animal control (Cabarrus Co.) to see about getting some box traps and put a stop to this stuff.
They tell me I have to have a NCWRC trapping permit in order to "borrow" the traps. WTH????

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You can buy "have a heart" traps at most hardware stores. Also, a little birdie told me one time that dropping cats in an area with dumpsters that may contain food, like say in an urban area works much better at getting rid of them than letting them go out in the country some where. They will beat you back home otherwise!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you explain that they aren't "bob"cats, just plain ol' kitty cats that you're willing to trap and rehome? SSS seems to be the best route for dealing with kitty cats and all they do to influence the environment.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you shoot them with a bow and arrow don't post the kill shot on Facebook. It does not help out your career.

I would buy a critter trap. Just make sure you put the trap in the shade and check multiple times a day. It is really hot and wouldn't want to see them go after you for animal cruelty.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Here animal control will place the traps and check them too! They are not wild game and it falls in the realm of what animal control is suppose to do. I would go and talk to some one. I would also look up the counties animal control ordinance and policies, so when I talked to them I could tell if they started to BS me.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a new neighbor that seems to think it's okay for his cats (6 of the SOB's) to roam at will and crap in my flowerbeds and anywhere they wish. I seem to think different, so I called animal control (Cabarrus Co.) to see about getting some box traps and put a stop to this stuff.
They tell me I have to have a NCWRC trapping permit in order to "borrow" the traps. WTH????
It seems that everyone was trapping feral cats in their garden getting their corn, thus the reason for this. Yet another example a few screwing it up for all. I actually read this on a site a couple weeks ago, wasn't aware of it to then. That is the reason most counties have adopted this policy, not all though.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It seems that everyone was trapping feral cats in their garden getting their corn, thus the reason for this. Yet another example a few screwing it up for all. I actually read this on a site a couple weeks ago, wasn't aware of it to then. That is the reason most counties have adopted this policy, not all though.
Now that makes perfect sense...those dern trash pandas causing trouble again.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If you were closer I have a live trap works good on cats. Transported many away from my yard.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
Take the cats to a shelter if you catch them, its not their fault and they shouldn't have to suffer because of a man's mistakes. Also consider whether the trap is in "hearing" distance of the neighbor, the cat will make some noise after hes been in there a while, I know this. I know the guy is in the wrong but if him or his kids figure out you got their cat(s) it may turn out to be more irritating for you than the cats. I guess I'm saying don't make a crappy neighbor into a worse neighbor or enemy if you can avoid it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you try and talk to your neighbor?

sent from...... Tapatalk
Good luck with that. My one and only exercise in that was years ago. Back when you could rescue animals from the shelter for free.

A guy owned a decent size piece of property adjacent to me and had a house and barn on it. He didn't live there but rented the house. The barn was probably in better shape than the house. The landowner periodically would go by the pound and rescue several cats at a time and bring them out to this barn and release them. Never fed them, no neutering them or spaying. Needless to say he was blessing the whole community with cats. No one would approach the guy so I did. He was belligerent and said his property and it wasn't illegal, which technically he was correct. At that time I was raising pheasants and several varieties of quail. I had to either make some very heavy duty cages for the brooders or the cats were all the time after the young. Needless to say, I wound up thinning the herd about as rapidly as he brought them out.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Did you try and talk to your neighbor?

Explained the situation to him but he thinks it's fine and has no intention of reining them in. Basically told me to go fornicate myself. THAT didn't sit well with me. I would go the SSS route but I'm in the city and he can see just about anything I do from his backyard. He'll also see the traps, maybe that will have an impact on his attitude, if not his cats..... I see no alternative....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I wasn't aware of that. Must be a new policy. You do not have to have a permit to trap cats, but I guess AC can require it to loan you the traps.

More concerning is the human dimension of dealing with the neighbor when one of the cats gets caught and starts howling, and he sees it and comes over to get it. It's all good as long as they are anonymously disappearing, but when he figures it out...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Explained the situation to him but he thinks it's fine and has no intention of reining them in. Basically told me to go fornicate myself. THAT didn't sit well with me. I would go the SSS route but I'm in the city and he can see just about anything I do from his backyard. He'll also see the traps, maybe that will have an impact on his attitude, if not his cats..... I see no alternative....

Bucket set....snap,shovel,shut up...still keeps with the SSS mantra. :D

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Looks to me that you tried the civil approach so now its trap time!

Get ya one of those traps from Tractor Supply, put a cheap can of tuna in it and wait.
That tuna is their kryptonite[emoji4]

After ya catch them take em to see the rural part of your county!

sent from...... Tapatalk

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I always wonder at the comments on here when neighbors cats are brought up. I wonder if the people with these cruel ideas behave this way toward other animals. As hunters and outdoorsmen we all talk about how much we respect nature and kill ethically and then we see comments about drowning the cat in a cage like ISIS. If the cat has to be eliminated instead of relocated at least be humane about it. In the end you will still have to dispose of the cat so I don't really see the point in killing them. I understand that the neighbor in this instance is being an :donk:donk:donk, that wouldn't sit well with me either. But that wouldn't make me do something immoral in response.

Disclaimer: I do own a cat and he does occasionally leave my yard, I know my neighbors and it is not a problem, I have told them if there is ever a problem I will make it right or even get rid of my cat if I had too.

Last edited:

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I always wonder at the comments on here when neighbors cats are brought up. I wonder if the people with these cruel ideas behave this way toward other animals. As hunters and outdoorsmen we all talk about how much we respect nature and kill ethically and then we see comments about drowning the cat in a cage like ISIS. If the cat has to be eliminated instead of relocated at least be humane about it. In the end you will still have to dispose of the cat so I don't really see the point in killing them. I understand that the neighbor in this instance is being an :donk:donk:donk, that wouldn't sit well with me either. But that wouldn't make me do something immoral in response.

Disclaimer: I do own a cat and he does occasionally leave my yard, I know my neighbors and it is not a problem, I have told them if there is ever a problem I will make it right or even get rid of my cat if I had too.

I agree....always shoot to kill humanely lol.

Feral & domesticated cats are one of the unheralded reasons quail have a hard time in the US. They're hunting machines and kill millions of game and songbirds every year! If you see a cat outside it's hunting.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Prestone. It's what's for dinner.

Might not be the best idea. Kind of like using landmines, you don't know who's going to wander by. What if the other neighbors dog gets loose? Or your dog...

And I say that as someone who hates cats and has no compunction killing a feral cat, have done it before and will do it again.

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Might not be the best idea. Kind of like using landmines, you don't know who's going to wander by. What if the other neighbors dog gets loose? Or your dog...
I'm not saying it's the best solution. Just that it's a solution.

My solution would be to show him the traps. Tell him he is not welcome on my property and neither are his cats. Any cats I trap will be available for pickup at the shelter. If he comes on to my property or bothers the traps I will swear out a complaint with law enforcement. If necessary a restraining order will be acquired.

Or...he can just control his cats.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Do not release the cats into a rural/wild setting. If they go feral they will decimate many local wildlife species. Contact NCWRC if you need to get the permit to meet the local requirements, borrow the traps, and take the cats to the shelter (I take half dozen stray dogs to the local shelter every year). I usually donate a 100 pounds of dog food to the shelter every time I go too. They really appreciate it and they will give you a receipt for the donation. Since your neighbor doesn't seem worried, pick up a few "NO TRESPASSING SIGNS" at your local big box store and post them too. If he sees the traps and crosses your property line (and you have the necessary permits) then he is in the wrong. I am always surprised when I read about being a "good neighbor" and getting along. It is a two way street. You did nothing wrong, you made him aware of the problem, so it's time to "do on to others as others do on to you". If he crosses the line, record the time and take a picture if you can. The second time you just call the po po and swear out a warrant. Just because he is a neighbor doesn't give him any rights over how you live your life. He started it so I would make his life a living hell.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Do not release the cats into a rural/wild setting. If they go feral they will decimate many local wildlife species. Contact NCWRC if you need to get the permit to meet the local requirements, borrow the traps, and take the cats to the shelter (I take half dozen stray dogs to the local shelter every year). I usually donate a 100 pounds of dog food to the shelter every time I go too. They really appreciate it and they will give you a receipt for the donation. Since your neighbor doesn't seem worried, pick up a few "NO TRESPASSING SIGNS" at your local big box store and post them too. If he sees the traps and crosses your property line (and you have the necessary permits) then he is in the wrong. I am always surprised when I read about being a "good neighbor" and getting along. It is a two way street. You did nothing wrong, you made him aware of the problem, so it's time to "do on to others as others do on to you". If he crosses the line, record the time and take a picture if you can. The second time you just call the po po and swear out a warrant. Just because he is a neighbor doesn't give him any rights over how you live your life. He started it so I would make his life a living hell.

This pretty much sums up my philosophy. Make it more expensive in time or money than he is willing to spend. Look into local leash laws. Look into homeowners association by laws. Look into trespassing laws for when (not if...when) he molests your traps. Go get security cameras and set them up on the traps. Consult a lawyer on your options and how you might be able to cost him money in terms of fines and assessments.

Status
Not open for further replies.