Permit hunt questions

the sarge

Six Pointer
I'm thinking about applying for permit hunting either the croatan or white oak area this year. I've never done it before so I am a little confused after reviewing the website. It seems like there is one area you can hunt whenever as long as you have the permit and the others are only on the day listed so for a one day I assume I would be able to only hunt there one time during the season. If someone could explain these things to me I'd appreciate it.

Also I'm curious as to if these locations are worth me spending the extra money. I'm a little frustrated after the first season I spent with zero luck on new river so I'm trying to venture out.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I'm thinking about applying for permit hunting either the croatan or white oak area this year. I've never done it before so I am a little confused after reviewing the website. It seems like there is one area you can hunt whenever as long as you have the permit and the others are only on the day listed so for a one day I assume I would be able to only hunt there one time during the season. If someone could explain these things to me I'd appreciate it.

Also I'm curious as to if these locations are worth me spending the extra money. I'm a little frustrated after the first season I spent with zero luck on new river so I'm trying to venture out.

If you have a boat worthy of the sound, try the shores of Pamlico county. way more ducks there and it is not that far away from Sneads Ferry. Make sure your boat has a blind that conceals you well and you have an adequate number of decoys (not mallards)

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I dont think I would mess with croatan. I have had a few good hunts on the white oak impoundments. Basically you apply and pick a few choices of dates and if you get drawn you will be assigned a date. They don't have blinds out there so you would need to scout and pick a spot.

the sarge

Six Pointer
I appreciate the info, my neighbor and I were talking about the white oak area yesterday actually. I think we might try it. We both have boats and we're in the process of designing a scissor blind for his boat that's a 18ft Lowe roughneck. I've never been on the sound. Is that enough boat for it?

We're both pretty excited since it's the first time in several years we'll actually get to put in the time for duck season without a deployment in the middle of it.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For the permit hunts, you CAN end up with permits for two different dates on the same gameland...but its rare that it happens, especially for ducks. I got two dates on a permit game land for turkey last year. Croatan, yeah, I don't know that I'd bother with it. As far as I know, you can hunt Catfish lake, right across from the impoundment, for free, but I've avoided them both.