Sun hemp

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Just FYI. We planted sun hemp this year to use as screens when walking to and from stands. The $&@&) deer have not let it get over 12" tall. Absolutely hammered it.

kauaihunta

Button Buck
darkthirty where did you get your seed? Been reading a lot about Sunn Hemp and plan on planting some next year.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Just out of curiosty, do you have to let the county sheriff dept know when you plant hemp?

sent from...... Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Just out of curiosty, do you have to let the county sheriff dept know when you plant hemp?

sent from...... Tapatalk

Don’t think so......or at least I didn’t. Haha. From what I’ve read, the thc levels are so low, you’d have to roll a joint as big as a roundbale to feel even the slightest effects from it.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

sent from...... Tapatalk

No. It's not even in the same family as the illegal stuff or industrial hemp.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
No. It's not even in the same family as the illegal stuff or industrial hemp.
I knew it wasn't it's just that I had heard from someone that your local law enforcement should be notified so in case someone called it in thinking it was pot or something like that they would know in advance what was going on.
I have no clue was just curious.

sent from...... Tapatalk

kauaihunta

Button Buck
Merry Christmas fellas. How did you plant it? I plan on broadcasting it. Discing, cultipacking, then spreading seed and cultipacking again. Sound about right? Thanks

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
We just topsowed ours and went over real lightly with a disc. But that was before I bought my cultipacker.

Lonehunter

Six Pointer
Has anyone tried to plant another crop like cow pea's in with it? Wonder how well it would work? Or if the hemp would just smother any other crop?

When does it die? At first hard frost?

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Yes peas will do fine mixed in the sun hemp if the hemp is not planted to thick. Depending on the size of the plot and deer density the peas may not last long. The hemp will dry with the frost. Once it is dead the stalls become very brittle. The hemp I planted got about 4 foot tall and the stalls were about just larger then the size of an ink pen. Wind and traffic though the dead stalks had most of them on the ground by late winter.

Taproot

Sunn hemp is excellent as soil builder. Best to scalp it back to about knee high about 30 days after planting. Otherwise it will grow like bamboo. Some people mix Sunn hemp and a legume (cowpea, lablab, etc.) so the legumes have a ladder to climb.

lbksmom

Banned
I bought the power plant from Whitetail Institute. Has soybeans, cowpeas, hemp, sunflower seed all in together, grows great, tonnage. In sand I disc then lite disc to level, then sow then cultipack\. In clay I do the same but instead of cultipacking I lighty disc in . Good luck, this rain is springing it up quick.

kauaihunta

Button Buck
Sunn Hemp popped right up. So far so good.

Attachments

• 27A0ED9B-4BFA-4BCE-8F6A-04710D2DF66D.jpeg
    27A0ED9B-4BFA-4BCE-8F6A-04710D2DF66D.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 04E3C6DC-78E7-46FC-BD44-462CFA4753FB.jpeg
    04E3C6DC-78E7-46FC-BD44-462CFA4753FB.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 24