November/December Kill Plots

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
If you could pick your top 2 or 3 favorite kill plots what would they consist of food wise?

I did Winter Greens last year but the drought was so bad they didn't make it. I went back over the plots with Winter Wheat and Oats in October but the plots didn't mature until January.

What would you guys plant to hunt over in November/December, assuming we have efficient fall rain.

Should I just try winter greens again?

Last edited:

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
If you are in NW NC I'm assuming November/December will be cold enough to have frost. If so, then a brassica plot will do well. IMO most of NC doesn't get cold enough for Turnips and most other cold season brassicas. They need cold before deer will pound them. Oats seem to work very well in NC. If you get the right variety, they are cold tolerant enough to stay green for several frosts, and they will grow just about anywhere.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Its kind of hit or miss to whether or not it gets real cold here in November. We will have some frosts for sure but the last few years have seemed kind of warm for that time of year.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
FWIW I will be planting Oats and Wheat in my new Soybean plot this fall. My 2 kill plots are a short distance away from the soybean field.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
FWIW I will be planting Oats and Wheat in my new Soybean plot this fall. My 2 kill plots are a short distance away from the soybean field.

In that case I would plant an early radish (Daikon variety, but not Groundhog radishes). They mature earlier than most brassicas and will be perfect in Mid November. But for future years, I might seed some white clover in with the radishes, or wait and frost seed it in Spring. Clover is great for small kill plots because it can stand a lot of browse pressure and will stay green longer than anything in the woods.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
In that case I would plant an early radish (Daikon variety, but not Groundhog radishes). They mature earlier than most brassicas and will be perfect in Mid November. But for future years, I might seed some white clover in with the radishes, or wait and frost seed it in Spring. Clover is great for small kill plots because it can stand a lot of browse pressure and will stay green longer than anything in the woods.

Great, thanks for the tips.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I would do White clover and winter wheat. Then frost seed more clover in the spring. the following years you will have a great field with low maintenance.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
I would do White clover and winter wheat. Then frost seed more clover in the spring. the following years you will have a great field with low maintenance.

Great, thank you.

I don't know much about clover. I'm fairly new to food plots in general.

The only maintenance is mowing the clover once or twice a year? Will I need to broadcast clover seed in the plot each year as well? As the clover plots get better established do you still broadcast wheat into it or keep it exclusively clover?

Last edited:

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Great, thank you.

I don't know much about clover. I'm fairly new to food plots in general.

The only maintenance is mowing the clover once or twice a year? Will I need to broadcast clover seed in the plot each year as well? As the clover plots get better established do you still broadcast wheat into it or keep it exclusively clover?
Clover seems to do better if its not planted too thick.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
I would go with oats, and usually have several succession (sp) , 3 weeks apart
Panted the deer on the bag variety (WI) last year and they murdered them

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I havent put any other seed with my white clover except white clover since the first year I planted it. I only reseed areas that were abused or kind of thin. It really took off this year which is its second year. I do have a few small spots on our large field that need to be seeded again. I will do it in Sept or October. It was around 10" high this year but recently there have been tons of deer on it mowing it down. It also goes dormant in this high heat. The key is to keep it mowed 3-4 times a year.
clover-L.jpg

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
I havent put any other seed with my white clover except white clover since the first year I planted it. I only reseed areas that were abused or kind of thin. It really took off this year which is its second year. I do have a few small spots on our large field that need to be seeded again. I will do it in Sept or October. It was around 10" high this year but recently there have been tons of deer on it mowing it down. It also goes dormant in this high heat. The key is to keep it mowed 3-4 times a year.
clover-L.jpg

Great, thanks again for the good tips. I think I might give clover a shot this year.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My favorite spot to hunt in nov/dec is standing corn, second would be a small plot of oats/daikon radish/crimson clover, third would be plain ol durana clover.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Up at the Rock , the deer hit the turnips and crimson clover and wheat hard in Late November thru December. Here on Harnett though..... standing soybeans wins.