I need some food plot advice!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
First off I would like to thank everyone for all their helpful advice so far. I wouldn't be where I am now with my plots without your help!
I have three 1 acre plots.

The first acre is field corn that is doing very well. When the corn is ready to harvest should I let it just stand on the stalks? Bush hog it down and leave it on the ground? I do intend to pick some and bag it for later on in the season.

I have 1/3 acre of turnip that I now realize I should have planted in the fall. The greens have been decimated by Japanese Beetles but the turnips are big and still in the ground. Should I just leave this plot? Turn it over and plant something else in the fall? Maybe plant turnips again on top of the existing roots?

I have 1/3 acre of sunflowers that I plan on bush hogging down in September and leaving them.
I have 1/3 acre of sweet corn that I am picking now. When I'm done picking I will bush hog it down and replant something in the fall. Ideas?

I have 1 acre of Chicory/ Clover that is doing well. It has weeds but I seam to be able to keep them under control with mowing. Should I reseed again in the fall?

And finally I have a small plot that I planted with Chicory/Clover up on my power line that never took off and is full of weeds. There is some clover and Chicory in it but not much. Any ideas for replanting this plot in the fall?

I know I have a lot of questions but any help you can offer would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
As far as the corn, I would bush hog maybe half of it and wait till the latter half of the season and bush hog the rest, if the ears filled out good
you will have plenty of corn on the ground just about the whole season.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
As far as the corn, I would bush hog maybe half of it and wait till the latter half of the season and bush hog the rest, if the ears filled out good
you will have plenty of corn on the ground just about the whole season.

Thanks, I like that plan!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
The corn I would just drive thru and knock some of it down, but not all of it. Knock down enough you can see, but leave enough up that the deer feel comfortable. That will actually leave more corn in the field than mowing it IMO.

If it doesn't make, I'd leave it alone as a cover crop.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Agree with the corn.

Plow up the turnips. They are a fall plot, and the deer most likely won't eat the turnips. Mine never have, even in the dead of winter. Plant back whatever you want. Plow up the failed chicory on the power line and the sweet corn too. I'd leave the other clover plot and see what it does this fall.

I like to spray glyphosate about 3-4 weeks before I want to plant. My top choices would be oats, crimson clover, winter wheat, daikon radish, or winter peas planted September 10th, give or take a week.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Agree with the corn.

Plow up the turnips. They are a fall plot, and the deer most likely won't eat the turnips. Mine never have, even in the dead of winter. Plant back whatever you want. Plow up the failed chicory on the power line and the sweet corn too. I'd leave the other clover plot and see what it does this fall.

I like to spray glyphosate about 3-4 weeks before I want to plant. My top choices would be oats, crimson clover, winter wheat, daikon radish, or winter peas planted September 10th, give or take a week.

Thanks Sky Hawk! If you had to pick two of your top choices what would they be?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oats and crimson clover mixed make a good annual plot. Quick and easy. Maybe do that in one spot and daikon radish or dwarf essex rape in another. Forgot about the rape.

Last edited:

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Oats and crimson clover mixed make a good annual plot. Quick and easy. Maybe do that in one spot and daikon radish or dwarf essex rape in another. Forgot about the rape.

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
You have been given some good advise. Beware of the one acre of corn if you have lots of coons. They will eat it all if they find it. I know this from experience!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
You have been given some good advise. Beware of the one acre of corn if you have lots of coons. They will eat it all if they find it. I know this from experience!

I've heard that! I trapped last fall and never caught or for that matter seen any coons but that really doesn't mean anything I guess. I'll have to wait and see.