Cheoah/Fontana Reservoirs

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What's the best fishing around Cheoah and Fontana reservoirs this time of year?

I've been on Fontana a few times, but I'm really intrigued by Cheoah. Seems that cold water coming through Fontana dam would keep the fish active throughout the heat of summer. I've seen plenty of trout carcasses discarded there, but I've never actually fished it. What's the best way to fish it? Is there a certain generation schedule that works better? What techniques or lures work best?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Cheoah is definitely trout country.

Some folks troll spoons but I know folks also have success drifting and casting inline spinners or Rapala baits. This is for stocked rainbows but some big wild browns also exist there.

Cheoah is said to be the coldest impoundment south of the Mason Dixon Line and rarely exceeds 69 degrees F water temps.

Another thing about Cheoah is there only one major tributary stream (Twentymile Creek) and the little cove it empties into is a place to launch kayaks.

If you are launching a motor boat there is 1 launch at the head of the lake with good access and a fishing platform.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've seen the launches. There's another old one just above the bridge.

I would probably put in at the new one just down from the bridge.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck with your trip

There are also some 30-40 inch muskellunge in the lake if you want to try something other than trout

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
No info on cheoah but Fontana has an algae bloom going on right now, last I heard. So if you haven't marked it off your list for sure, I think I would go ahead and mark it off. ncangler has a couple folks that will occasionally post reports for cheoah trout. May help to check them out if you've not already. Good luck!

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't done it on either of those lakes but a method I have used in the past. I would anchor with 2 anchors 1 off the bow the other off the stern. Drop the stern anchor and motor into and drop the bow so the anchor lines are kind of out of the way. If you have a depth finder you can do this over a drop off or other structure then move yourself forward or backwards by pulling in and letting out of either anchor line to get into a better position or try different parts of the structure. Using a slip sinker of various weights (maybe lightest possible) above a swivel to a light leader. You can use a worm or small baitfish (if allowed) or maybe both. I would fish 4- 6 rods off a small boat at various depths of 15, 30, 50, and maybe 1 on the bottom if there are lake trout and adjust from there. On a windless day you can drift or slow troll using the same method.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No info on cheoah but Fontana has an algae bloom going on right now, last I heard. So if you haven't marked it off your list for sure, I think I would go ahead and mark it off. ncangler has a couple folks that will occasionally post reports for cheoah trout. May help to check them out if you've not already. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up.

I searched the archives and found several posts about trolling with down riggers and lead core line, but that's out of my capabilities. I've been told when they are generating, you can just drift and cast plugs or spinners to shoreline cover. I may try that or I may try trolling/drifting bait of some kind.

I gave Santeetlah a shot last year, but the water temp was shockingly hot - 87 degree surface temps, and nothing was biting. Cheoah with it's year-round cold temps just seems like it would hold some active fish even in mid summer.

SUDDEN IMPACT

Eight Pointer
see if you can get our member Sudden impact to respond to a PM. He knows those lakes well.

I can only speak of Fontana, the alge bloom is in the upper part of the tuck. I'd launch at cable cove (lower part of the lake) fish the mouth of Hazel Creek and Eagle Creek. Then drive down to the dam, look for braking fish should not take long to get your line streched. Early morning or afternoon. Good luck

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks. I was planning on cable cove.

What kind of baits should I throw? Is it an early/late topwater bite?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I went to one of the creeks yesterday early. I had tied on a 15' fluoro leader and then a Zara puppy. I had a few more walking baits at the house, but that was the only one I would consider small. Fish were breaking randomly across a 500 yard stretch. I saw one breaking about 75 yards away, so I eased over there and 5 casts in one hammers it. I set the hook hard and immediately snapped off the leader.

I had a few small Pop R lures, so I tied one of those on and fished another hour without a bite. I was kicking myself for not throwing in the larger stick baits. I need a few more of those small ones.

Spent the rest of the day trout fishing in the river.