zero turn mowers

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
looking to buy my first zero turn, I want a 46" between $2500-3000. the Husqvarna seems to fit my check list but can anybody give me first hand opinion on this mower, I really dont trust the good/bad online reviews.

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
Really depends on how well it's been taken care of and if they have done regular services. Does it have a lot of hours? I work on a lot of zero turns and I've seen year old machines that are more wore out than a 10 year old machine. I would look close at any you decide to go after.

lbksmom

Banned
I have had a Snapper ST50 commercial grade for several years, does great for homeowner. I would recommend new alot of real low financing out there on new. Buy from local dealer not Lowes, Walmart, Tractor supply etc. They sell lower grades of same models as your reputable dealer will give you that great service. Good luck

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My neighbor has a Husqvarna and it's overkill for his 3/4 of an acre. He's done in about 10 minutes.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got a 60" Husqvarna that hasn't given me any problems, except having to replace the starter solenoid. Cheap and easy fix.

My biggest complaint is that it gets stuck too much in the wet areas. Not sure if that is reflective of this machine or ZTs in general.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've got the Toro 60" Timecutter. Great mower, easy to take deck off and clean and/or change belts. Will buy another when this one wears out. I cut about 3 to 4 hours/week.

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
We sell Scag mowers at wake outdoor equipment and they seem pretty nice. Pretty easy for us to work on too. I hate working on Cub Cadet 0 turns.... PITA

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a 52" husquvarna zero turn this spring. It cuts really well. I consider it a good purchase. The only complaint I have is really minimal but it rides like a 2 horse wagon. You feel every bump. But I can deal with it. I was mowing about 3 1/2 acres with it but now that our pasture is getting built, I'll only have about an acre. I'd recommend the husky zero turn to anyone.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I've got a 60" Husqvarna that hasn't given me any problems, except having to replace the starter solenoid. Cheap and easy fix.

My biggest complaint is that it gets stuck too much in the wet areas. Not sure if that is reflective of this machine or ZTs in general.

I have an exmark 48". Love it. But the thing about a zero turn is that the two back tires control every move you make. But you have to have both of them. You can have one tire on concrete, but if the other is in mud, you're stuck. When one hits the muck, you lose traction, and the only thing you can do with the other is steer into it. But it doesn't really take that long to learn what situations to avoid and you're fine. I mow about 4 acres a week around my place, and I cut my mowing time almost in half versus my old mower with the same size deck.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Having only used Ferris independent suspension 61" deck machines I can't speak to any of the brands mentioned so far and don't have any experience on smaller machines so my comments as general in nature.

I definitely agree with the advice to buy something that you can get serviced locally and would also recommend test driving one before buying it as my experience has been that machines with similar specs can have a very different feel. Take a llok at how easy it will be to service it including th location of the loi filter and drain. Many units have drain tubes that extent overboard but I've seen units that essentially drain onto part of the belly pans.

As far as traction I suspect that each manufacturer has had to make drive line choices consistent with the price point they need to hit for a particular model. If you have a steep lot or any other specific challenge to deal with it would pay to ask a lot of questions. And in seeking straight knowledgeable answers you will most likely be best off at a dealer and not at a home center.

As far as speed or versatility, I've always said that a zero turn mower is a one trick pony that but the pony knows that trick very well. I mow around 4 acres on our farm that is a combination of lawn, barnyards and a small orchard. With all the things to mow around it used to take 3-1/2 to 4 hours on a big lawn tractor with a 60"" deck. Now it takes about 1-3/4 hours and the Ferris doesn't care how tall the grass is. With the faster blade speed of a zero turn it will mow much faster than a lawn tractor of the same horsepower.

Even though we already have a 60" deck diesel garden tractor at our NC retirement home the Ferris is coming down on my next trip. We should be all moved in in a month and although the Ferris will be overkill for a two acre lawn I'll never go back to a lawn tractor again.....

Lance

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Most of the Pro's around here use eXmark, but that's probably because we have a good dealer nearby. I bought a 60" x-series 5 years ago and have only been back to the dealer once and that was for routine maintenance. Your price range limits you quite a bit, unless you consider used. I would prefer a quality unit with low hours over a cheaper new one. I bought a "residential" model as my first zero turn and it gave me nothing but trouble with the drive pumps. It was a good brand from a dealer, but not their top model.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
We sell Scag mowers at wake outdoor equipment and they seem pretty nice. Pretty easy for us to work on too. I hate working on Cub Cadet 0 turns.... PITA

Second this on the the cub cadet. My cousin has one and it takes up most of a day even for simple stuff!

witler

Eight Pointer
Spend the best money that you have and get a low end commercial mower, Skag, Toro or Xmark. You will notice that the big difference is in the deck thickness, will last a lot longer. I bought a Xmark 13 hp 52" Kohler years ago, no problems so far, after 6 years just had to replace deck belt. This is my zero turn but riders in the past, deck rusting out and jack shaft bearings were the first problems.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I tried many mikes and models of zero turns and found none that didn't make me feel like a monkey riding a football. I settled for a 54 inch husq. riding mower. Pretty happy with it and it will do some serious mowing too as I mow 5 acres every week.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I just bought the Husqvarna zt 42 inch with the 21.5 Kawasaki engine....have only used it about 6 times, but so far I really like it.....was cutting low on the right side, but a simple adjustment, and great cut now....previously had the reg husq 48 in with the kohler engine...had it 8 yrs with no problems and sold it for half of what I paid for it....no complaints here...

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Any recommendations on a commercial walk behind?

I've had good luck with my Toro walk behind. My dad bought it new in 95 and I've had it since 2006. It's starting to show some age, but it's mowed a ton of grass. Toro 44 inch.

witler

Eight Pointer
Most all the major names offer good walk behinds, key turn off to me, having to mow about 2 acres, is "walk behind". I remember years ago before we could afford otherwise, Myself, wife and 2 sons, would mow all day on Saturdays. We had 2 el-cheapo 19" pushers, we would take turns mowing while 2 rested and it made for a long day. We swore if we could ever afford to ride we would, have never looked back. During these hot 90+ degree days, it is hot enough riding, I can only imagine having to 'walk behind'.

But if it suits your yard size, health and budget, go for it, I would still consider the best commercial that I could afford.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have an exmark 48". Love it. But the thing about a zero turn is that the two back tires control every move you make. But you have to have both of them. You can have one tire on concrete, but if the other is in mud, you're stuck. When one hits the muck, you lose traction, and the only thing you can do with the other is steer into it. But it doesn't really take that long to learn what situations to avoid and you're fine. I mow about 4 acres a week around my place, and I cut my mowing time almost in half versus my old mower with the same size deck.

Quit mowing concrete.....and don't mow just after a monsoon!!

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
Just don't get a Bad Boy. Sweetie bought a 54 inch Bad Boy because it is orange like her tractor. If you are mowing a golf course it's great. When you're lawn is a little rough it will beat you half to death. Can't hardly walk when I get off it.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tried many mikes and models of zero turns and found none that didn't make me feel like a monkey riding a football. I settled for a 54 inch husq. riding mower. Pretty happy with it and it will do some serious mowing too as I mow 5 acres every week.

You must not have tried a Ferris. I tried many that beat me so much, I'd hobble after an hour or so. We ended up getting a 72" Ferris with the Cat diesel and that machine is the most comfortable I've ever used. I am mowing somewhere between 11 and 12 acres in less than 3 hours now and not hurting at all. Pretty rough ground in areas, but the suspension system absorbs the majority of it.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
You must not have tried a Ferris. I tried many that beat me so much, I'd hobble after an hour or so. We ended up getting a 72" Ferris with the Cat diesel and that machine is the most comfortable I've ever used. I am mowing somewhere between 11 and 12 acres in less than 3 hours now and not hurting at all. Pretty rough ground in areas, but the suspension system absorbs the majority of it.

Throw in the spring base seat and you have one heck of a smooth riding machine. What with tractors, big trucks and other things running around the areas we mow we went with the 61" deck Ferris. They let me use a 72" deck machine for a few weeks but due to the really rough areas it scalped more than I liked......

Lance

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Most all the major names offer good walk behinds, key turn off to me, having to mow about 2 acres, is "walk behind". I remember years ago before we could afford otherwise, Myself, wife and 2 sons, would mow all day on Saturdays. We had 2 el-cheapo 19" pushers, we would take turns mowing while 2 rested and it made for a long day. We swore if we could ever afford to ride we would, have never looked back. During these hot 90+ degree days, it is hot enough riding, I can only imagine having to 'walk behind'.
But if it suits your yard size, health and budget, go for it, I would still consider the best commercial that I could afford.

Ha! You sound like me... I pushed our place (~2 acres of grass) for 3 years cause I just couldn't see spending the money...

Then a Kubota Z122 showed up out of the blue (long story. Don't ask...)

Used to take me 6 hours on weekend to push, trim, and blow... Now I'm done in 60 minutes.... Heck I can get it done after work in the evenings...
The only time I break a sweat is getting the weedeater out every 2 weeks now that I've got my place *trained* with cutting and spray.

Really like the Kubota, but then again, I'm biased since I've only ever used that machine...

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Throw in the spring base seat and you have one heck of a smooth riding machine. What with tractors, big trucks and other things running around the areas we mow we went with the 61" deck Ferris. They let me use a 72" deck machine for a few weeks but due to the really rough areas it scalped more than I liked......

Lance

This has been my experience with all the brands I've ever used. You can cut some serious grass with a 72" deck, but if you're not cutting a ball field, or leaving the grass 3-4 inches tall, there will be lots of scalping. When it's time to replace my 48" mower, I'll definitely go with a bigger deck, but not a 72. Too many dips and ditches around my place!

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Lance

Dealer actually talked me away from the seat suspension. Claimed they had sold one and the customer removed it due to it working against the chassis suspension... I'm not having any scalping issues except when mowing the edges of the pond dam. The deck swings at the front and has wheels that will touch on uneven terrain to maintain some clearance.