Busy!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'm NOT going to make this political, or let it become so. Just curious, if anyone else has seen a GIANT uptick in their work recently?

Granted, it's taken 4-5 to go from nothing to heard of, But we're almost to the point of turning down work :confused:. I don't want to hire people just because we are busy now, if the growth can't be sustained (extremely volatile and political in certain industries), only to lay them off next winter. But I can't stand to be so busy we have to say "no" either. Never done that before.

I'm already committed deep into bow season :(. But this is a blessing, not a disappointment :cool:

This is the busiest I've ever been in 20+ years. And only months ago, we were slooooow. I swear customers I have are PETA members and look at the hunting regs to schedule projects. :mad:

Anybody else on the verge of busting out?

slickheadslayer

Six Pointer
Yes, the commercial construction industry has been booming for us so far this summer. The end of winter into first of spring was a little slow. Once May hit the amount of projects we have been presented has shot through the roof.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got several customers who are contractors of some sort. They all state that are pretty busy and all say they can't find any help that is worth a Sh*t. From electrical, plumbing, finishing carpenter etc.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Our business is as good as I've seen it in the last 10 years. Also I've got a couple projects around the house and 2 different contractors, both friends of mine say they are covered up well into the fall. I believe things are defeintly on an upswing. Like State said in the original thread, we are just before turning down business due to lack of man power but as stated I don't want to bring anyone else on only to have things slow down or stop again. One thing that is helping tremendously in my opinion is affordable gas and fuel.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Been slammed,,:D90 plus degrees outside, guys want that hair cut off!

I absoutley agree. I have seriously considered shaving my head (except fat AND bald aren't a good look without tattoos).

I have bought several things to try to keep me cool when working outside recently (especially hard hat related), and been hitting up Duluth Trading Co as well, so I know other industrys seen a recent spike also.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I absoutley agree. I have seriously considered shaving my head (except fat AND bald aren't a good look without tattoos).

I make it work..... much easier with the tats but a symmetrical head is key......to many shave then realize their head looks like it was beaten with a bag of nickels.

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Work at my families landscape contracting business. Mostly commercial and some residential. We are SLAMMED. Have had the best 2 months in our history (been open since 1885). Its crazy. We are working 7 days a week and barely keeping up. This hot and dry weather is killing us.
Maybe its just being a landscaper and we are the last guys on site, and subsequenly we are picking up the slack from other trades, but it seems like every job nowadays is a rush job and down to the wire, often requiring overtime or weekend work. It seems like schedules and delivery dates are always tight and a rush. Its frustrating and frankly annoying to have to deal with on almost every job. Anyone else seeing this??

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That has become the new norm. Got to have it right now. Latest generations have grown up with walmart, google, and amazon. Gotta have it right now. Less planning, more working. Less scheduling and conflict resolution, and more working. In construction, i personally think the design train has fell off the boat along with the approval procedures. Too many things get approved that are not possible or highly uneconomical. Everything is fast tracked and rushed.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sometimes winning is painful 😄

^^ This!! Three of us have a 'beach' rental business. We normally book after January each year going into the May-October season. Since Trump's election, we are 100% booked for NEXT SUMMER (2018).

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
The Pharma industry is no different, I changed companies a few months ago and we are absolutely crazy right now. the area i specialize in is projected to have around 250% growth. We are struggling to keep up with customer demand because we cant purchase new test equipment and get it in service fast enough. I have been in the Pharma industry for 22 years and it has been a LONG time since I have seen this much across the board work and capitol expenditure.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The company I work for seems to be humming right along also. And the monthly jobs report that came out today listed an increase of 220,000 new jobs, and the Stock Market has been strong over the last six months.

(Almost makes a fella want to retire now rather than later).

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Sales have been very very slow in the dealership I work at for the last six months or so. Fortunately I'll be starting a new job in August that'll be less hours less stress and more stable pay. I can't wait!

double

Twelve Pointer
I will say in the car business June was the best year I have had after being in the business almost 10 years total. We have been seeing a huge change from people coming in shopping a few months ago to coming in ready to buy right now.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
I will say in the car business June was the best year I have had after being in the business almost 10 years total. We have been seeing a huge change from people coming in shopping a few months ago to coming in ready to buy right now.

Our June was decent but still probably 20 or 25 units short of last June between 7 salespeople.

brownkd

Button Buck
I am the sales manager at a machine shop. We have been in business for 21 years. We mostly make aviation parts. The 1st 6 months of this year we had record months 5 out of six months. Our shop guys have been on 50 hours since Christmas and could work much more if they were willing. We have been marking parts up 30% above norm and still getting orders like crazy. Times are good

double

Twelve Pointer
Our June was decent but still probably 20 or 25 units short of last June between 7 salespeople.

Our year has been about average last month was the best we have had by far and this month seems to be trending that way as well. When construction booms people make more money. When they make more they spend more. Of course thats trickle down economics and we all know that doesn't work. So lets just say a rising tide raises all ships.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know lots of small business owners that are enjoying the 'TrumpBump';)

it's wild,,,nearly every where I go has signs "help wanted",,,,,,,,may not be great jobs, but the old saying is the best way to get a better job is to have one,,,,,,,

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Our year has been about average last month was the best we have had by far and this month seems to be trending that way as well. When construction booms people make more money. When they make more they spend more. Of course thats trickle down economics and we all know that doesn't work. So lets just say a rising tide raises all ships.

You have to be doing really well. Seems like every day I see a new post or 3 from you on Facebook with another sold piece. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm as busy as I've every been bidding jobs and I've been doing this for 20 years now. I've gotten my fair share over the last 12 months. It's been good and aggravating all at the same time.