Self Filming Set Up

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Looking to upgrade my tree arm.

[video=youtube;xgxk4PILF-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgxk4PILF-g[/video]

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My friends have a show on CarbonTV (Whitetail Bosses)and they use Fourth Arrow camera arms. They seem to really like their camera arms.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
There aren't that many good ones out there. The best are Muddy and Fourth Arrow. I will probably go with the Fourth Arrow. Hawk looked like it was going to have a nice one (Hunt Hard) at half the price that would work for me but they are sold out and haven't updated their website with info about any new stock.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I find my muddy outfitter arm to be a little too short. Im right handed bow shooter and prefer to mount camera to my right.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
No, just thought I heard it beep when you powered it on.

Oh yes, you did. I would have to disable the power on beep. I haven't hunted with this one since I got it. It's actually my second one. I will have to go through it and fix some of the settings to make sure they are suitable for hunting.

There are some remotes that have buttons that click which can be picked up by the mic. They are not good options for remotes.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Sold my muddy outfitter and upgraded to a 4th arrow last year. Love it and and much better pack ability for me. Going to try out the Manfrotto BeFree fluid head, should help packability even more as my 701hdv is solid but clunky.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got the HF G30 with the 701 head, but no remote. I looked at the VZ rocker remote, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost.

I think you'll definitely like an upgrade to the camera arm. I have found it's really important to get it level, so you need one that has good leveling capability. I looked at the Muddy outfitter a few years back, but it's about twice the size of my current Lone Wolf arm. I'm sure it's better, but I need something compact.

What I really need is a head mounted on a pin that would slide into either a camera arm or a tripod. During gun season, I spend about 1/3 of the time on the ground.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
^^^^they do have a tripod attachment so you can put your arm on the tripod.... I don't think I'm understanding what you mean though.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Sold my muddy outfitter and upgraded to a 4th arrow last year. Love it and and much better pack ability for me. Going to try out the Manfrotto BeFree fluid head, should help packability even more as my 701hdv is solid but clunky.

I considered the befree and at $100 it looks like a good deal. I don't like the length of the handle but it looks like it could be retrofitted with my short arm set up but would also use the 700 rc2 handle attachment.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I've got the HF G30 with the 701 head, but no remote. I looked at the VZ rocker remote, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost.

I think you'll definitely like an upgrade to the camera arm. I have found it's really important to get it level, so you need one that has good leveling capability. I looked at the Muddy outfitter a few years back, but it's about twice the size of my current Lone Wolf arm. I'm sure it's better, but I need something compact.

What I really need is a head mounted on a pin that would slide into either a camera arm or a tripod. During gun season, I spend about 1/3 of the time on the ground.

The Lone Wolf arm has been md'ed. I would have tried it out.

How do you manage zoom and focus without a remote?

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Im going to try to film some this year.. Picked up a Panasonic 770 camcorder the other day. It was used @ $175 . Got the manfrotto befree tripod and fluid head from amazon. I like it so far and have tinkering with it and I movie editing some lately. I haven't bought it yet but want the 4th arrow camera arm....

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I saw this guys video which was part of the inspiration for my set up. Skip to 4:30 where he talks about the fluid head and the LANC controller (remote). He does a better job of explaining the benefits. Also, look at how long the handle is on the fluid head. That is why I removed it for the short handle.
[video=youtube;QxNuo4ojvz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxNuo4ojvz4[/video]

Last edited:

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
I like your set up skinner. Mine doesn't have the remote option, wish it did but ill make it work out.. The mic' on mine is legit though.. I don't know If I'm going to drop the coin on a rode mic' this year. I still have to get 3 or 4 batteries and SD cards.. I need a padded bag too for the cam..

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Mine doesn't have the remote option, wish it did but ill make it work out.. T\

Don't get this cheap remote though. It has the buttons that click.

[video=youtube;0z22W0tWqTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z22W0tWqTo[/video]

Last edited:

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
I don't think the Panasonic has the lanc capabilities. It has the record function on the touch screen and on the camera, same with the zoom functions. Ill just practice a lot while up in the stand and hopefully won't be shaking too bad to hit record when ole swamp donkey rolls out lol... Im already enjoying it filming around the house and plan on filming my son playing ball this winter. I hope to get a shot or two on it this deer season..

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I don't think the Panasonic has the lanc capabilities. It has the record function on the touch screen and on the camera, same with the zoom functions. Ill just practice a lot while up in the stand and hopefully won't be shaking too bad to hit record when ole swamp donkey rolls out lol... Im already enjoying it filming around the house and plan on filming my son playing ball this winter. I hope to get a shot or two on it this deer season..

Sorry I confused you with Sky Hawk who has the G30. Let me check on the Panasonic. Some of them do have remote capability.

EDIT: Just checked on the 770, no remote, sorry.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Lone Wolf arm has been md'ed. I would have tried it out.

How do you manage zoom and focus without a remote?

Zoom using the rocker on top, and for focus I'm using AF 90% of the time if they are in shooting range. If MF is necessary while I am looking for a shot, the G30 has a focus ring on the front, but that gets tricky.

The focus and zoom haven't been the biggest issue with capturing the shot though. The primary issue is still the deer walking out of the frame, and then I'm trying to nudge the camera with my elbow while in some part of the draw process.

BTW, I also have the DM-100 on top. I haven't tried the Rode, but I like the simplicity of the Canon mic. Did you say you had the Rode mic also? How does it compare?

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^^^they do have a tripod attachment so you can put your arm on the tripod.... I don't think I'm understanding what you mean though.

I would just like my tripod and the end of my camera arm to have a cylindrical hole, and the base of the fluid head to have a cylindrical pin, that I could just drop it in. So it could be switched from one to the other in seconds. I don't think I would need a camera arm actually on the tripod. Most of the ground blinds I hunt in are overlooking logging roads, or lanes, so it's a straight shot.

Right now, when I switch to the tripod, I just move the camera, and I have to use the cheap head that came on it.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I think what I've done in the past is zoom in to the trail deer are walking on with auto focus, then it focusses on its own, then I switch to manual focus and it's already where I need it.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I switch heads back and forth on tripods all the time. Try to unscrew the head on the tripod and then replace it with the Manfrotto.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I have a old 2 section arm I bought 20 years ago. It came with two mounts. One I put on my climber and one I have a screw it T that mounts to the tree. I have tried 3 others and always go back to this one. It is super stable. I also use a fluid head in conjunction with it.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Those looking at the 4th arrow, just get the regular arm. I went back and forth between that and the carbon one since I'm a public land run and gunner but the little bit of weight savings wasn't worth the extra $40. I think you saved .2-.3 lbs. I keep the "shoulder" attached to the base and it's so much easier to get on a tree than my muddy base was, especially with a climber.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Those looking at the 4th arrow, just get the regular arm. I went back and forth between that and the carbon emissions since I'm a public land run and gunner but the little bit of weight savings wasn't worth the extra $40. I think you saved .2-.3 lbs. I keep the "shoulder" attached to the base and it's so much easier to get on a tree than my muddy base was, especially with a climber.

Thanks for confirming that.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
New video with new arm. Went with the $59 plus shipping arm instead of the 4th arrow. Might do the 4th arrow next time I upgrade.

[video=youtube;a2r2kfXd-xg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2r2kfXd-xg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
As long as the arm doesn't shake you'll be good to go, I like the looks of it. Since my wife has commandeered our Sony A6000 and I sold my camcorder, I may have to use that as an excuse to step up to a A6500 or even the full-frame models :cool:

Last edited:

redbow

Ten Pointer
I used my 4th arrow yesterday for the first time and it is awesome. I bought the regular arm. Easy o set up. Stable, level, and quiet. Got some good footage of a button buck. He was the only deer that came in.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
My old go to arm and my Canon HV40 lots of hours on thus set up. Already a few hours from this year. Got another mount that screws in the tree. This one is attached to my climber..

20170917_155851-L.jpg

Last edited: