Hinge cutting

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Kinda new to it. Hinge cut a small area last year while clearing lanes in lieu of just cutting down stuff and piling it up. Kinda forgot I had done it. Walked in that area today while fertilizing some browse and white oaks. Each tree I hinged had many suckers growing off it. I hinged cut near another stand to block a trail above my stand, but it was mostly holly and I doubt they'd even eat it. I also did a small hinge cut in the middle of my clover to get more sun and provide more browse. I think with a big enough area, these could be as effective as any other plot.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
Yea i did some maples around one of my plots ti let in some light, most trees i have are sweet gum and i don't think u could make them eat that

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
As food for thought, if you cut and stack the saplings and logging slash that will provide several years of good rabbit habitat and cover for some of the ground nesting birds in most areas.

As far as the suckers go what time of year you cut matters a lot. For instance, here in our NY woodlot we want to knock back the number of beeches and beeches sucker prolifically. For beech trees in over-story the shorter trees that have not reached the canopy are using energy stored in the root system until mid to late June or so before the current year photosynthesis kicks in and the begin putting energy back into the roots for the next year. Trees growing near the edge of the woodlot that see more sun need to be cut earlier in the season. If you wait to cut them just as they have used most of their stored nutrition you will greatly reduce the number of suckers as they won't have as much stored resources to work with.

I suspect that if you contact your local cooperative extension they can point you to someone who can give you a good idea of when to cut which species to reduce suckering in you specific circumstances.

Lance

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
update on my cutting

several of these trees near my foodplot have suckered out and the suckers are being eaten. So, success there. In the areas i used hinges for "trail blocking" i noticed a new trail directing deer straight to my stand tree.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah theres several 4-6acr tracks owner wants hinged areas where I hunt.Good thing I bought that extra saw from @Sharps40, I'll be using it in Jan after season..