something to post

herman

Six Pointer
I shoot a muzzleloader plus other rifles every week at the range.Since there is no post on here
thought I would post a target that I shot Monday.
Must not be anyone else shooting through out the year??
This is with 2 different smokeless muzzleloaders and trying a new bullet from fury bullets.
Tried using link here from my documents but couldn't get it to work.
But my link from photo bucket seems to be working.
rQf24NX.jpg

Last edited:

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Good shooting Herman, thanks for sharing. I will have to check out the fury bullets, never heard of them before.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yea Im not sure why the muzzle loading forum has declined in activity.

Its probably Roundball's fault for giving up his Hawkens for a camera. :)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I never saw him have a Hawken.

Many many winters ago he had Hawkens,,,,

A "one eyed fat man" releived him of at least two of them when he transitioned to the nicer custom guns,,,,

I'm not doing my share of activity here,,,,aggravating folks elsewhere!

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lord yes...at my high water mark in the 90's I think I had gotten up around a couple dozen T/C Hawkens :) ...several different rifle calibers, smoothbore gauges, sets in both caplocks and Flintlocks...standard rifled barrels, roundball rifled barrels...many in various stages of refinishing. etc...good times !

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many many winters ago he had Hawkens,,,,

A "one eyed fat man" releived him of at least two of them when he transitioned to the nicer custom guns,,,,

I'm not doing my share of activity here,,,,aggravating folks elsewhere!
Must be slipping, should have known it. Especially after the nice Renegade he posted of his son's. Makes sense now.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone have a decent recipe for a .36 thompson center? Most info available is for 45-50 with occasional 58 or 69-72 cals? I can find little on the .36. I guess i could put some calipers in it and get a truer dimension. Would be awesome if i could use 357 or 9mm bullets to play with. Id really like to try it for deer with an sst type bullet.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Anyone have a decent recipe for a .36 thompson center? Most info available is for 45-50 with occasional 58 or 69-72 cals? I can find little on the .36. I guess i could put some calipers in it and get a truer dimension. Would be awesome if i could use 357 or 9mm bullets to play with. Id really like to try it for deer with an sst type bullet.

what are you wanting to know? the seneca had (normally) a 1:48 twist that I consider a "compromise twist",,,,,shoots roundballs fair and others fair,,,,,

normally a .350 round ball with pillow ticking and from 25-50 grains of black powder,,,depends,,,,

I have heard of folks thinking about experimenting with .357 bullets paper patched but to me that could be a recipe for disaster...to close to bore size for me,,,,,in my .36 (and the .32 I have) I stick with roundballs

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Checking one of T/C's original manuals just now, suggested load data listed for the .36cal Seneca is:

.350" / 65grn lead round ball, patch, and Dupont 3F blackpowder
40grns = 1894 fps / 518 Ft.Lbs
50grns = 2034 fps / 597 Ft.Lbs
60grns = 2150 fps / 667 Ft.Lbs

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
what are you wanting to know? the seneca had (normally) a 1:48 twist that I consider a "compromise twist",,,,,shoots roundballs fair and others fair,,,,,

normally a .350 round ball with pillow ticking and from 25-50 grains of black powder,,,depends,,,,

I have heard of folks thinking about experimenting with .357 bullets paper patched but to me that could be a recipe for disaster...to close to bore size for me,,,,,in my .36 (and the .32 I have) I stick with roundballs

Would .355 bullets still be too tight?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Would .355 bullets still be too tight?

to me, yes, as I have never used any that miked that high,,,,and then your patch would be awful thin and likely to burn through,,,,,may could grease it well,,,,,but I personally would not recommend that

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
What does T/C say?
Have you asked them?
How bout a .32 cal that would go out of a 32 Win Spec lever gun?...or even a lightweight from a .32 Auto?

My Seneca is a .45 so I'm ignorant bout those squirrel guns!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Love the Renegade, Only ever had 2 ML's and one is a renegade and the other a TC inline. Roundball, did you ever have a Patriot?

Last edited:

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I did, but never even fired it...I have Paul Bunyan hands and the tiny little pistol grip / short length of pull was such a poor fit I knew it was pointless to bother...turned right around and resold it.

herman

Six Pointer
Years ago I had a 45 cal Seneca and it was one sweet shooter.Took a lot of deer with it.
I think it was the first muzzy hunt on the PD,I shot a eleven pointer with it.I remember it was a long ways off because I held a foot over its back and dropped it.Can still play the shot over in my mind.
Later on I let my brother n law use it one year because I had other rifles,showed him how to clean it and load.
Well 2 years later he hadn't brought it back so I went and got it.The barrel was so rusted and pitted I tried cleaning but no use.
I let one of my friends have it to hang over his fire place.
Sure wish I still had that little rifle.

herman

Six Pointer
Got to shoot a couple more bullets from Fury Tuesday.
He is still trying to prefect them futher.
GsjglI3.jpg