POI issue and advice

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I'm having a problem with my bow and hoping someone may have an idea. I'm shooting a Diamond Core with a 5 pin IQ Pro sight. I zero my pins and normally shoot a couple dozen arrows and have no problem. However after a couple days the POI shifts about 4 inches low for all arrows. The groupings are tight 1-3" groups but the entire group drops. It's happened several times now. I verified my sight and adjustments are all tightened down and the reticle on the IQ verifies my anchor point hasn't changed. Also all servings and d loop seem tight and don't move. Any ideas?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Somethings moving. Can't say whether it's you or the bow, but something is shifting.

Do the groups continue to move down if you don't re zero?

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I honestly don't know. Ive been adjusting it every time. Ill wait and not adjust it and see.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Old string?

Possible. The string is the original from late 2014 but I didn't really start shooting the bow regularly until early last year. With that said, I've easily shot over 1000 arrows from it target practicing.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
If the groupings remain the same, something about your sight base is moving vertically.

I agree that would make perfect sense but I've checked all screws and adjustments and everything is tight. Also in order for the POI to move down, that would imply the sight is moving up. It would make sense if it was moving down and my POI was moving up because then vibrations and gravity would play into it but for the opposite to be true, something would have to cause it to shift up. After someone asked about the old string, it got me wondering if the string was stretching and dropping the arrow speed which would cause the arrow to drop lower. Completely just speculating at this point though.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Is the cord possibly slipping and rest not popping up all the way? I had that happen once with a drop away.

The drop away rest is a new addition that i just put on so I don't think that's the problem. Before that I had a wisker biscuit type rest and was having the same problem although I didn't realize at the time that it was a continuous problem or I would have tried to troubleshoot before changing out the rest to keep as many variables the same as possible.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's been my experience the bow rarely changes, the archer is most always the weak link. Moving your anchor point two whiskers up or down will move POI just like raising or lowering the rear sight on a rifle.....

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
It's been my experience the bow rarely changes, the archer is most always the weak link. Moving your anchor point two whiskers up or down will move POI just like raising or lowering the rear sight on a rifle.....
Well I'm no expert so I can't say my ancher isn't changing slightly. However the IQ sights have a bubble reticle which is supposed to validate your anchor point and it stays lined up so I didn't think that was it.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I'm guessing anchor point changing a little or dropping your bow arm maybe during your follow thru. Could be inconsistent grip. If everything is tight it's probably something your changing imo. I see slight shifts in POI from day to day, especially when I'm not shooting well.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like you have a broken strand or two which will make you string slip. When that happens the knock moves up so you shoot lower.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds to me like you need to let a buddy shoot it a few times and see if trouble follows bow or shooter

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Undo the center serving and check to see if any strands are broken. It can always be served back. Many time strands will break where the knock or knocking loop is. Not going to get better on its own.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My groups started dropping before I replaced my string. Almost every time I'd go to shoot they would be slightly lower than the time before, I got it at the end of 2013. My groups opened up more though.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Well I ended up just changing out the string since it was already 3 years old. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet but will keep everyone updated on if this fixes my problem or not.

PG2

Ten Pointer
You made the right move by changing the string.... With it being 3 years old it really does not matter at that point how much you shot, it was old and was stretching. During the break-in period for the new string your POI will change slightly too...

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Well just to keep everyone updated, I ended up changing out my string and cables with a new set from 60X. They claim to be pre-stretched and warranty for 1 year against stretching, D loop twist, etc. I've shot my bow now 3 times since sighting it in and havent touched my sight and so far there has been no more change in POI. Everyone had me worried that it might be me and not the string :) I'm very pleased with the 60X strings. They look great and seem to be very well made. I'll let everyone know if something changes but I believe I've solved my problem.