New rifle, new bullets

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Picked up a new rifle, Remington 700 AWR (American Wilderness Rifle) in 7mm Remington Magnum. Got a Leupold VX-3 im gonna put on it. First time with a 7mm, what kinda bullets does everybody like to hunt with for a 7mm?

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Nice gun. You will enjoy. Do yourself a favor and take a lead sled with you to the range.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Good deal, a person can always use/have another rifle. Can't help with the bullets, never had a 7mm Remington Magnum. A guy did tell me he liked the Hornady SST bullets in the 7mm Remington Magnum, but they blew apart in the 7mm STW. Good luck and good shooting!

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Winchester silver tips 150 grain. Shot really tight groups. Performance on shots over 50 yards was great. Closer Sometimes Pencil hole.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I reload 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in mine and so far they have worked great.
If I was going to use a factory load I would use the 139gr Interlock from Hornady.

sent from...... Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've done well with the Remington Core Lokt, I like them mainly for the price - shooting 7mm Mag ain't cheap!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
160 gr and up.....so they go a lil slower and open up, cuz if it zips thru too fast, it won't mushroom and most of the energy is spent in the dirt, not the critter...unless its 250+ yds away. I download 139 or 150's to 280 Rem or even 7x57 velocities so those bullets mushroom better.

Last edited:

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Back in my 7mm mag days I had good luck with these as far as factory ammo.
Hornady 139 sp
Winchester 150 power point sp
Remington 150 core lokt sp
Reloaded ammo- 120 Nosler bt

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Whatever the rifle likes best is what I would use. Deer aren't hard to kill, so a good accurate load is more important then anything else.

dcmayo311

Four Pointer
I've had great results with Hornady 139 gr SST Superformance. Ain't cheap by no means but 1" groups at 200 yards on paper and every deer shot dropped in it's tracks.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Thanks. Anybody use remington accutip 150gr? Thought about giving those a try. & bryguy i plan on seeing what it likes, every rifle ive owned has run best with something different. Just trying to get a baseline of rounds to try out.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
The Federal Fusion line has worked well for me in 300wsm. Even at 6 yards. I would think it would perform the same in a 7mm magnum.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
The Federal Fusion line has worked well for me in 300wsm. Even at 6 yards. I would think it would perform the same in a 7mm magnum.

Been very impressed with the entire fusion line in everything I've shot them in...

Guns that wouldn't group with many factory rounds would group with the Fusions, and yes, from 6 to 600 yards, they're gonna work...

^^^^^^
To the OP...
I've been shooting Winchester PowerMax bonded 150gr out of my 300WM for a couple years. I've never had another bullet/cartridge combo that kills deer like those...
Everything from Quartering to shoulder shots, to quartering away at the back of the ribs, and everything in between... They never take one step...

Might want to try them... They're a bonded jacket and core with a protected HP that has dropped them from 10-200...
Exit holes aren't what you're used to seeing with a regular soft point, with most being about the size of a golf ball, but the internal damage is utterly devastating...
I shot a doe two years ago right through the top of the heart... She dropped in her tracks but her organs from the heart all the way back to the liver were just red jelly and the shock separated both shoulders...

They're so good, I've got 3 other guys switched to them for 30/06...

3090 FPS at the muzzle and 3180 Ft/Lbs for the 150gr 7mm load

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I usually let the gun tell me what to shoot. Always prefer the accubonds if the rifle will shoot them. Trying fusions out of my 270 this season, shoot really well and they're cheaper than the hornady superformance I was shooting. Try a few, see if someone has some that you can try, within 5 shots you'll know if they're an option.

stoked64

Button Buck
I'm not a fan of the SST's. They definitely did the job and killed every deer I shot with them (3 deer) however I never got an exit wound and got a very small blood trail. All 3 times the core and jacket separated and core retention just wasn't there. I prefer a bonded bullets and will stick with the Federals Premium bullet, great weight retention.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
160 gr and up.....so they go a lil slower and open up, cuz if it zips thru too fast, it won't mushroom and most of the energy is spent in the dirt, not the critter...unless its 250+ yds away. I download 139 or 150's to 280 Rem or even 7x57 velocities so those bullets mushroom better.

I learned this the hard way. I lost the biggest deer I have ever shot due to a 15 yds shot. The bullet zipped right through him leaving little to no blood.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Good deal, a person can always use/have another rifle. Can't help with the bullets, never had a 7mm Remington Magnum. A guy did tell me he liked the Hornady SST bullets in the 7mm Remington Magnum

I also don't own a 7mag, but my 30-06 loves the SSTs, it will shoot ~1.5MOA with factory loads but under 1MOA with the Hornady SSTs. My 308 prefers the basic Hornady interlocks