Study: Deer reacting to cameras

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for posting. The biggest deer I ever had on camera found it visually in the daytime. He was walking a deer trail from left to right, the camera is silent and does not flash. He went up to it, smelled it and changed his course to walk away from the camera. This was in July. Camera had been out for week or so and had been rained on couple times. I never saw him on that path again.

Last edited:

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
The first video of the biggest buck I got on camera last year was the last video I got of him. You could see his negative reaction and he never visited the mineral lick again. All cameras are 6' up now and I will never buy another non-blacked out flash camera again.

It's alot of mixed reviews about this ...I'm sure it's deer out there that will spook on just about anything that looks out of place ... we've had plenty of mature deer stand in front of all types of cameras...got some of my best pics from a old cuddeback capture white flash that kinda pop when the flash goes off but they still just stood there and did there business...put IR camera's up in trees 8 ft up and deer still looked up at em...idk for you guys only getting one pic deals on some deer is just a coincidence of a traveling deer that's just passing through imo ...

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Maybe they have "learned" to look at a particular height because that's where everyone is hanging them. In the video linked once they moved the cameras higher they seemed to notice it less. Carry 1/2 of an extension ladder and go up another 4 to 8 feet??

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The one camera I have out is about 2.5 feet off the ground. I have seen deer notice it, but I leave it on the mineral site all year, as I feed there in the fall and winter. I was running more cameras at one time and did find that very few deer noticed the cameras when I placed them as high as I could reach. New areas, if I were to put a camera out in a new area I would place it up high. Just one more variable, I could possibly rule out.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
The worst camera I ever owned was a drury cam that clicked overtime it turned on. I would always get one good picture of a big buck then never have them come back again. Best seems to be moultrie for me.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I call BS on most of this......the pic I have posted on here came from a cheap IR camera on one of those cam sticks you push in the ground and we get big bucks every year with that set up!

The reason your big bucks don't come back is more than likely frequent trips to site and no scent control while there!

And if I had to tote a ladder in to put up a camera......I would sell them all! Just my opinion......

MAM3006

Six Pointer
I think it really all just depends on the particular deer. I have had some that see the camera, get spooked and I never get another pic of again. Others seem to almost be posing for it! There are several nice deer that I have on camera that were taken within shooting distance of the camera. The biggest deer I ever killed was one that we had on multiple cameras and was killed in the same general vicinity of all of them.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Sometimes I think the difference is between suburban deer versus rural deer. Deer near a lot of human activity don't seem as skittish to things like rotary feeders and game cameras.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I had a cuddeback no flash many years ago and it was obvious that the deer noticed it. Some would even be spooked. Last year my son got many pics of the same pair of bucks on a Wildlife Innovations cam through the course of the summer.