First Card pull, need some help

jct23

Button Buck
Just did my first card pull, wondering if any of these deer will end up having bigger racks? I'm not very good at guessing size when they just started growing antlers like this. ThanksIMG_0266.jpgIMG_0265.jpgIMG_0267.jpgIMG_0268.jpg

Doc

Twelve Pointer
All of those deer will be racked bucks. Those pics were on 6/10. They will have grown significantly in the last two weeks, and will continue to do so over next month or so. Hard to tell what one will be when he finishes, but those have a good start... What is a big buck to you? If 115" is a big buck, then i'd say you'll have a couple or three to choose from. Next cam pull will tell you more. They can grow 1/2" per day now. So you'll see those tines start to shoot up.

jct23

Button Buck
The pics were actually taken the past two weeks, the time and date are wrong on the camera. But I just shot my first buck last year, an 8 pt. so anything bigger than that I'd consider a big buck. It wasn't a very wide rack, so I'm thinking these might be better.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
For the most part its to early to tell what they will be. I can tell you that they have about 2 months left of growing to do so you will see some substantial changes. From doing this for almost 10 years I can also say that you will get a lot better understanding of Size, points and shape of their horns come July.

Good looking herd you have. If I had to take and educated guess though I would say they are all fairly young you may have a couple 85"-100" bucks there (thats just me taking a stab at it). The good news is that everyone of those bucks has the potential to be giants.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like a bunch of 2 year olds. Once those beams turn, that's as wide as they are going to get. You'll have to wait a month to see what the tines are gonna do.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They all look to be young to me, but it does appear you will have a couple out to the tips of the ears......

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Word of advice..... Don't get too attached or excited about any of them in particular.... Likely as not they will disappear when the velvet comes off and you will gain some others you've never seen.... 2 scrambling periods I've noticed running cams over many years... one around the beginning of Sept... and another around the end of October..

jct23

Button Buck
Thanks for all the responses/advice everyone. I'm excited to see how they turn out, whether it be this season or next. Will update next camera pull to show any progress in growth!

Word of advice..... Don't get too attached or excited about any of them in particular.... Likely as not they will disappear when the velvet comes off and you will gain some others you've never seen.... 2 scrambling periods I've noticed running cams over many years... one around the beginning of Sept... and another around the end of October..

Totally agree, you might have one stick around, and the others may come back in November.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2 scrambling periods I've noticed running cams over many years... one around the beginning of Sept... and another around the end of October..

I agree. The biggest shakeup is in September I think, but right before the rut they start increasing their travels considerably, and some will come and go.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer

The week before bow season opens.......every year. lol I usually have 1 or 2 guys hang around from the summer though, its enough to keep me buzzing.

Last edited:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
By end of July , 1st week in August 90%+ of their growing will be done.

Then you will have a good ide of what to expect. Just keep in mind, velvet adds the mirage of bigger antlerS, and so do some cameras

Still though, nice bachelor group. Has good potential for years to come