White Oak River--White Oak Shores Campground Fishing

JeremyH

Spike
Heading down the second half of next week for a short family vacation. Staying at the campground and fishing the pier/shoreline.

Planning on working grass edges, with Cajun Thunder/DOA shrimp setup and bottom rigging with cut squid/shrimp in deeper water.

Anyone have experience in this area of the White oak river?

Thanks,
Jeremy

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
This time of year you might happen upon a flounder or occasional puppy drum from the pier. There is not much "on foot" water access at WOS other than the pier but you could possibly walk south to the point next to the campground where there is a natural shoreline. Do be aware that gators have been seen frequently around the pier and boat launch over the past couple months so caution is suggested.
You might talk to some people there and possibly catch a ride on somebody's skiff for a day of fishing the river or sound (Spanish are running good in the ICW). Good luck and have fun...WOS is a great place.

Last edited:

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
If it's the campground that I'm thinking of, leave the squid at home. The croaker bite was a little bit slower than normal weekend before last, but I didn't get a single hit on squid other than three skates the three days I fished and the black drum were absolutely on fire with shrimp(all under 14"). I didn't check the IW, but there was supposedly a mullet bite to be had. If I'm able to get down there next week, you're welcome aboard my boat.

JeremyH

Spike
apexhunter, thank you for the insight. Will keep an eye out for those big lizards, and maybe a few fish will cooperate!

We are looking forward to our stay at WOS, this will be our first visit there, have heard nothing but good things!

Jeremy

JeremyH

Spike
If it's the campground that I'm thinking of, leave the squid at home. The croaker bite was a little bit slower than normal weekend before last, but I didn't get a single hit on squid other than three skates the three days I fished and the black drum were absolutely on fire with shrimp(all under 14"). I didn't check the IW, but there was supposedly a mullet bite to be had. If I'm able to get down there next week, you're welcome aboard my boat.

Thanks for the info! Will pack plenty of shrimp, hopefully the bite is still on. Appreciate the invite, let me know if you come down this way!

Thanks,
Jeremy

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
apexhunter, thank you for the insight. Will keep an eye out for those big lizards, and maybe a few fish will cooperate!

We are looking forward to our stay at WOS, this will be our first visit there, have heard nothing but good things!

Jeremy
You should plan another trip in the fall as the White Oak is one of if not THE best trout fisheries on the east coast. As long as there isn't a lot of rain to flush the brackish water way down towards Swansboro (the fresh/brackish line is typically just north of the Stella Rd. Bridge) people historically wear out the trout as the water cools.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Also forgot to mention, you'll be waaaayyyy better off swing by Clyde Phillips' and getting you some good shrimp. If it's good enough for Clyde to sell you for food, it's as fresh as you'll buy for bait. And a pound from him is almost always cheaper than the 8oz tubs of frozen junk you'll find listed as bait.