Fertilizing Soybeans Late

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
This is my second season planting soybeans. Last year I was very happy with how fast the beans grew and how good they looked. This year they seem a little slow to get started. I did everything the same, soil samples both times, getting good rain, just like last year.

The differences from last year to this year are: I planted in a different field, one that is twice as big as last years plot, This field has RWW beans vs last years plot having Eagle. I planted this seasons plot 2 weeks later than last year. This new field has a lot more weeds that I'm having to control.

They have been on the ground for 5 weeks and are only about 6-8 inches tall. Last year they were past my knees. I know these were panted 2 weeks later than I planted last year but it I feel like these beans aren't going to be that tall in 2 weeks.

Should I go back over the plot with another round of fertilizer? Or is that not needed?

Last edited:

whynot

Spike
Well I had to do a little research on the RWW beans because I was not aware of them. From what I read they are like a commercial bean variety bean compared to where the Eagle seed are forage soybeans so for the most part that maybe be where your differences in size are coming from. The second thing that I found that maybe be why you're not seeing as great of results is they have 4 didnt varieties with 4 different maturity levels from 4.0-5.4. For reference we plant group 6 maturity level beans from around the 2nd week of May to the 2nd week in June. They might be part of your problem with the height difference and not a fertility issue. I'd hate for you to put out fertilizer to not see any difference.

Last edited:

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Well I had to do a little research on the RWW beans because I was not aware of them. From what I read they are like a commercial bean variety bean compared to where the Eagle seed are forage soybeans so for the most part that maybe be where your differences in size are coming from. The second thing that I found that maybe be why you're not seeing as great of results is they have 4 didnt varieties with 4 different maturity levels from 4.0-5.4. For reference we plant group 6 maturity level beans from around the 2nd week of May to the 2nd week in June. They might be part of your problem with the height difference and not a fertility issue. I'd hate for you to put out fertilizer to not see any difference.

Thank you for taking the time to research that for me. I will hold off on the fertilizer and just see how these do. With a soil test being performed and me putting down the right amounts of fertilizer to begin with I would think I should be fine.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Are you guys rotating planting different crops every other year? if not you will see stunted growth. I rotate every other year on my bean and pea plots. Makes a big difference.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
If you got heavy rain after you planted them and you think it leeched out your first round of fertilizer it won't hurt to hit them with some more.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Are you guys rotating planting different crops every other year? if not you will see stunted growth. I rotate every other year on my bean and pea plots. Makes a big difference.

First time planting anything in this field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Soybeans need heat and we have just started to get heat . I never plant my soybeans till last week in May to last week in June. You can fertilize soybeans again if you are getting a lot of browsing. I know farmers who just lime as needed in the early spring and dump the chicken manure to it before planting. I go over my soybean plots with light amounts of triple 17 or 34-0-0 depending on how much rain we get.
Wet cool weather will stunt soybeans and peas. You don't need to rotate as long as you are planting soybeans every year. I know farmers around here plant soybeans in the same field every year with no problem. Soybeans have gotten so easy to plant this day and time. HOWEVER, Pigweed will make you rotate crops when growing soybeans.
Milo , corn, tobacco needs rotation every year from what the farmers tell me.

Last edited:

whynot

Spike
Soybeans are legumes so they do not need nitrogen. If you put out too much nitrogen to them the plant will actually shut down nitrogen fixation. Soybeans do play important rolls in rotations such as adding nitrogen to the soil that can be used by other crops that follow. We have no decrease in yields by planting beans behind beans.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Soybean companies recommended the lowest Nitrogen fertilizer I could find. After soil tests Southern States recommended 4-24-24 (that is the lowest nitrogen Fertilizer they have). Thats what I have used both years.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have never heard of 4 -24 -24. Sounds like a specialty fertilizer. You got sandy soil? We have sandy loamy soil here in my part of Harnett county. With all the rain you cant even tell I put out 34-0-0 on my beans today. The extra boost of nitrogen seems to help with the deer browsing.

Last edited: