Driving and saw two turkey fighting.... wait

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Was heading to the store with my wife this morning, as we passed a field right by our house I saw a tom flopping around and flipping way up into the air going at it with another 'turkey'. From our position it looked like a small brown hen so I was a bit confused. I pulled over on the side of the road and told my wife to look at the two turkey going at it. The tom suddenly stopped fighting and walked up into the treeline. The 'hen' was just sitting there looking around then suddenly jumped up into the air. That bird wasn't a hen after all, it was a small hawk. I've never seen anything like that before. Anyone else seen a hawk take on a full grown tom turkey? The tom didn't appear to be in a real hurry when he went on up into the woods either.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
"You're a chicken...and I'm a chicken hawk!"

hqdefault.jpg

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen hawks "buzz" turkeys out in cow pastures. The turkeys generally lay flat at the pass.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Haven't actually seen it, but when I posted this picture a couple years ago many thought the turkey had been killed by a bird of prey...

406174921.jpg

That's what my chickens looked like when a hawk got it. it took the head off. I wasn't sure what it was until I found the hawk in a branch over looking the coop. I guess it could have been an owl too.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Was a pretty cool sight to see and a first for me. It looked like the tom jumped up and tried to spur the hawk. Of course at that point I thought it was another turkey he was going at.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

old school

Six Pointer
If you have eagles in the area the turkeys don't tarry too long when crossing a field either. I have seen geese avoid decoying because of an eagle or two perched in nearby trees. Something about that food chain theory I guess.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I bet so. I haven't seen an eagle here in Rutherford County for a long time, but did see a bald eagle fly across hwy 74 in Shelby last week. Two crows were dead on his arse, thought that was a cool thing to see too.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Really? My sister and brother in law have a couple that frequent their yard, they live Bostic, right on Mosley Hill.

Lake Lure has several Baldies that nest along the lake shore. I know of 3 pairs in one development. Blue Heron.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
When I worked out of the Marion office I drove down/up Mosley Hill every day and never saw one. Not saying they aren't here, just haven't seen them.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Getting old... your vision is going...lol!!!

Not doubting you a bit... just saying there are a few in your neck of the woods...

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Getting old... your vision is going...lol!!!

Not doubting you a bit... just saying there are a few in your neck of the woods...

I am getting to the point to where I'm having to face the reality that I need to use reading glasses sometimes and that's killing me. I've always had better than 20/20 vision and know I'm being stubborn about being willing to use glasses.