Traditional Arrow/Broadhead Inquiry

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So, I'm going to bow hunt with my trad bow this year (never taken a deer with it). I've had it for several years and I've never taken it because I've had solid bucks on camera that I wanted that extra yardage for. Well, this year I'm going to go trad. My stands will be set for 20 yard shots.

I currently have an Anneewakee Addiction 43# R/D and a Red Wing Hunter 50# Recurve. I need arrow and broad head suggestions. I've never shopped for a hunting setup on these bows, so I'd love some input!

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
3 rivers archery has an arrow calculator on their site. Let me know what weight broad heads you need, I have a bunch you can try out. You can try heading to a trad 3 d shoot and I'm sure those guys will all help you out big time.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Magnus Stinger 4-blade work well. Really any cut on contact fixed blade that flies true will work.

I always liked carbon arrows for their extreme durability. Specifically Easton Axis/Beman MFX with 75 gr. brass inserts. 3 rivers is a great resource, and I've ordered helical fletched arrows from them at least a half dozen times.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Personally I like a two blade like the Muzzy Phantom, honed scary sharp, but as sky hawk said, a solid tuning regimen is a huge factor as well. A shaft hitting at anything less than dead-on straight sacrifices quite a bit of much needed penetration.......

I also don't see the need for a super heavy arrow that some do. For Carolina whitetail I like a fast, flat-shooting combination around 8.5-9gpp. Gives plenty of penetration, even from lighter draw weights, along with a little wiggle room for yardage estimation....

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Boondock. You are about 5-10 minutes from Mike Ballenger of 7 Lakes Archery. He is a bowyer. A good trad source near you.

I am in Asheboro. I believe GT Trad 500s will work out of each bow. You do not mention your draw length. If you want to come to Asheboro on a weekday we can go to the nearby gameland and stump shoot or you can shoot my target bale on any day. I had oodles of arrows and point combos to test with your bows. A 30" GT Trad 500 (3555) will be a good starting point for an arrow. Probably a 145gr point for the 50lb Wing Hunter and a 175 or 200gr point for the 43lb Anneewakee. We won't know for sure until you test shoot a few.

I am about 40 minutes from you.

A two blade Eclipse, Magnus Classic, or ACE Standard head will do you wonders. I use old Bear Razorheads.

Bud Blaylock
335-402-3833 cell. Text me with your name and handle and I will call you.

If you are on facebook, look me up.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you are going old school, why not keep it old school?

I have some older Bear 2 blades and some with the bleeders in them.
new in box maybe 40 years old or so.

Let me know if you think you want to try something like that.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer

Would be a shame to put those on a carbon arrow.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer

I am interested if you would send me some pics. I shoot the old Bear BHs. I prefer the stainless ones with the blue ferrule, but will also shoot the greenies.

Thanks.

budnstefb@aol.com