2017 is Lookin' Very Nice....first pics of year

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
17stud2.jpg

Tines are longer and he has a little drop forming.........finally a daytime pic!!!

wstober

Button Buck
Nice looking deer. The drop looks like it actually belongs to the deer behind him though. Good luck this season.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice looking deer. The drop looks like it actually belongs to the deer behind him though. Good luck this season.

He may rub it down to nothing, but when I look at other pics......it is his drop. I had to look at another pic because I first thought exactly what you did

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Daytime pictures, so your saying there's a chance

He has been in the field from 7-9 on a regular basis lately....if he comes to the spot that pic was taken........he will be a 25 yd shot from my stand.....my oldest son will get to watch it go down from his stand across the field....or at least that is what I tell him.....I keep telling the boys that it is my 40th year of hunting and he is my anniversary buck.....but I don't really care which one of us kills him! Be nice to have him in the family! And I will be taking a leak by their stands on the way to mine!JK

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
He has been in the field from 7-9 on a regular basis lately....if he comes to the spot that pic was taken........he will be a 25 yd shot from my stand.....my oldest son will get to watch it go down from his stand across the field....or at least that is what I tell him.....I keep telling the boys that it is my 40th year of hunting and he is my anniversary buck.....but I don't really care which one of us kills him! Be nice to have him in the family! And I will be taking a leak by their stands on the way to mine!JK

Last year I had a palmated 13 pt with a 4 inch drop tine, 140's buck since June. I put corn out week before season just to see if I could catch him and I did. Unfortunately, it was just on camera the first 2 days of bow and in front of my stand at 20 yards. I was working the first day, and had wrong wind the 2 nd day. He was alive on camera nighttime only until he was killed by neighbor late November chasing a doe. My advice to you is get out there first couple days no matter wind direction or weather, take a climber if you have to and make it happen, first couple days will be your best chance, then he will change what he's doing and be near impossible tell November.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last year I had a palmated 13 pt with a 4 inch drop tine, 140's buck since June. I put corn out week before season just to see if I could catch him and I did. Unfortunately, it was just on camera the first 2 days of bow and in front of my stand at 20 yards. I was working the first day, and had wrong wind the 2 nd day. He was alive on camera nighttime only until he was killed by neighbor late November chasing a doe. My advice to you is get out there first couple days no matter wind direction or weather, take a climber if you have to and make it happen, first couple days will be your best chance, then he will change what he's doing and be near impossible tell November.

Yep this spot is hot for the first few weeks of bow....I will be there opening day and the main wind on that spot is always perfect!! Sun in my face but wind is not an issue. I have killed 2 10pointersin this stand in the last few years- neither as big as this years buck is

Last edited:

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
I think if you kill this deer he will still be in velvet and you will find his manhood has been dealt a serious blow. He doesn't appear to have grown much since June and for a deer to have a rack like that in June, something fishy going on. Hope I'm wrong but there was one near my house like that a few years back, never she'd and just kept growing, ended up like a 170" with a drop, but was in full velvet in November when he was killed.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
^^^^^ I have one like that, velvet all the time, he's not big unfortunately, he has a funky rack though

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think if you kill this deer he will still be in velvet and you will find his manhood has been dealt a serious blow. He doesn't appear to have grown much since June and for a deer to have a rack like that in June, something fishy going on. Hope I'm wrong but there was one near my house like that a few years back, never she'd and just kept growing, ended up like a 170" with a drop, but was in full velvet in November when he was killed.

I'm pretty sure he will be one of the first out of velvet and if he holds true to past years. He will be out a week before the season. This spot is 300 yards from my front door.....been feeding and hunting it for about 10 years. We know these deer pretty well. He is not the biggest deer that has been there in the past 10 years!

It's the craziest place I have ever seen!

Last edited:

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
133. 4/8 - sound close as a high gross on him? - super nice but I love the trash he has on the bases. he will defiantly be tearing up some trees when he rubs out! he seam to have a favorite snack? I killed a lot of early deer on raisins we used to be able to buy them in 3 gal buckets.....
Man I really hope ya get him he's nice!

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
As a side note.....some of those WGI cameras take great pics.

sent from...... Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
133. 4/8 - sound close as a high gross on him? - super nice but I love the trash he has on the bases. he will defiantly be tearing up some trees when he rubs out! he seam to have a favorite snack? I killed a lot of early deer on raisins we used to be able to buy them in 3 gal buckets.....
Man I really hope ya get him he's nice!

Primos Red Spot

Im hoping for a nice cool evening on opening day. Not going to try morning hunt as he is around my stand most mornings from 4-6 am and beds less than 100 yds from my stand.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have deer like this every year in this same spot.......I have only harvested 2- 10 pointers that where in the 120 range.... we have had some easy 140's and one that was probably 150 or better 6-7 years ago....I will not lose sleep until the night before the opener......and then I will wait all day as this is an evening sit only......they are not easy to kill

redbow

Ten Pointer
I have deer like this every year in this same spot.......I have only harvested 2- 10 pointers that where in the 120 range.... we have had some easy 140's and one that was probably 150 or better 6-7 years ago....I will not lose sleep until the night before the opener......and then I will wait all day as this is an evening sit only......they are not easy to kill
I agree that big deer are not easy but if you are having the same results year after year you need to do something different. Approach? Stand site? Predominant wind? Bedding sites?

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I agree that big deer are not easy but if you are having the same results year after year you need to do something different. Approach? Stand site? Predominant wind? Bedding sites?

As you may know, once velvet is nearly off, behavior will most likely change as bucks split up become a little more territorial and find "their" less pressured areas and acorn food sources, if there's any daytime activity it might be on neighboring properties. Some hold summer patterns longer but the older deer don't usually around start of bow season, in my experience.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its a very small block of woods.....stands are perfectly set,,,,,wind is predominantly correct for the stands,,,,,as mentioned patterns change so it is like having a one week season each year! We see them every year but just not within bow range every year.....we do not attempt shots over 35 yds... not worth the risk to us.... they return to this spot each year