Calling in black bear

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
This year it looks like I'm going to be bear hunting on public land primarily. Just curious but has anyone had any luck calling in black bears on the coast and if so what calls have worked best? I'm thinking rabbit in distress since the deer population isn't too strong and the fall wouldn't be natural for a fawn in distress call.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I have called them in with adult deer bleats, NOT fawn, as well as turkey calls.
Bears don't normally outrun a rabbit, so I'm not sure that would work, but could be worth a try.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
This year it looks like I'm going to be bear hunting on public land primarily. Just curious but has anyone had any luck calling in black bears on the coast and if so what calls have worked best? I'm thinking rabbit in distress since the deer population isn't too strong and the fall wouldn't be natural for a fawn in distress call.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

plenty of fawns born late in the year....fawn in distress would be better than rabbit imo...

Last edited:

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I don't know anything about bear hunting, but coyotes will respond to fawn distress calls year round. I don't think most animals have the reasoning ability to understand the rut and gestation periods for whitetails.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
You can call them in pretty fast with some of that french vanilla powder concentrate that McDonalds uses to make their coffee drinks...
Just go in the woods and clap your hands together like Lebron James does with Talc Powder.... If there's one around he will come...

Don't ask me how I know... :)

^^^As for the original question. I have no clue what would work for calling one in. The only place I've ever seen it done was on TV for brown bears on Kodiak Island in Alaska. They used snowshow hare distress, but I'm thinking Blacktail deer and Hares were the only prey animal on the island.

Good luck if you try. I'd be curious about your results!
Bears here are def. curious, but I also think they are a lot smarter than the average bear... *Pardon the double entendre*

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
My dad and I called one in up in PA....It was a rabbit distress call, on the edge of a cutover. Were actually after coyotes, but the bear came to within 15 feet before we scared it off. Not bear season! Top of the mountain and came rolling in through some really thick tall ferns....Stood up on his hind feet and looked at us. Had to punch my dad in the shoulder to get him to stop calling....It was close enough for me...

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
We were both shooting Tikka combo guns (.222/12 GA 2 3/4). Great for coyotes, don't want to try it on a bear.