New Island off Hatteras Point

witler

Eight Pointer
Has anyone seen in the news about the new island that has formed south of the point at Hatteras. Estimated to be 1 mile long and 300 yards wide, about 50 yards south of point. Could not load link, use Google to see.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen aerial photos of the island in the last couple days. It doesn't look 1 mile long to me. Maybe 1,000-1,200 yards by a 200-300 yards.

Back in the summer of '87 (over 4th July I think it was) there was an island off the point as well, about 600-800 yards long by 150-200 yards wide. One day in the afternoon the shifted strong out of the south 20-30 mph and on the incoming tide it started taking the island away. The next morning at 6am it was almost completely gone. The rip current took 80% of it away. It was completely gone the very next day.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've seen the current island in person a few times, and it is the biggest I have seen there in the last several decades. Many islands have formed there in the past, and from personal observation I think this is the largest. When ponds form there or at Oregon Inlet they tend to stay much longer, sometimes apparently forever. The islands don't last as long.

Gus

Six Pointer
It's probly all the beach renourishment sand from the northern beaches washing down there....

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Talking about the ponds that form there. I threw an 8ft cast net there and precisely the right time one October in 2006 or 2007 and ended up needing help pulling the thing up. Everybody had fresh finger mullet after that.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When the big pond to the right of Ramp 44 first formed (1980's IIRC) it was full of doormat sized flounder. You could fish it then, and our family got some nice ones. Then the commercial fishermen discovered it, then the wind surfers. It's off limits to all that activity now, because the birds own it.

witler

Eight Pointer
Here is the link: https://pilotonline.com/news/local/e...6f24a01ee.html[/url]

Last edited:

Secret Spot

Six Pointer
I walked the island last week and it appears to still be growing. It is probably 3/4 mile long and 200-300 yds wide. At one point it feels like you were at least 8 ft above point where vehicles were parked. It has grown considerably in the last 4 weeks.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I saw an article warning people from going over there because of the "thousands of fish hooks" that would be there from years of fishing the area.

I'm thinking fish hooks rust pretty darn quickly and would likely not be an issue!

witler

Eight Pointer
I saw on another site that the weather Channel and CNN had stories on it and also either TV or newsprint in the UK covered it. Also that the ORV Only signs had been taken down, guess to allow foot traffic. Should be an interesting situation trying to fish.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've seen it when there were at least 100 people on it, and some dogs. Very easy to get to at low tide by canoe, kayak, surf board, paddle board, or just swimming. In past islands sometimes at low tide there was a land bridge. Not so yet on this one unless very recent.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Member notice from the NCBBA about the new island, cut and paste:

If you have been on social media the last few weeks you have probably seen mention of a new island just off Cape Point. The island was christened "Shelly Island" by one of our junior members, Caleb Regan, when he visited the island Memorial Day weekend.

NCBBA President, Bill Smith and Director, Janice Regan as well as Dave Hallac, Cape Hatteras National Seashore Superintend, have explained this is the nature of our island's ever shifting sands and that our waters can be dangerous.

As it grows bigger Shelly Island is attracting more visitors and unfortunately some are not taking proper precautions crossing the water. Last week Hatteras Ocean Rescue made several rescues.

On Friday, CBS sent a crew to film the phenomenon. Danny Couch contacted Bill Smith because the film crew needed help getting to the island. Bill Smith and Mike Regan had double kayaks and spent a few hours shuttling the team and their equipment to Shelly Island where they interviewed Danny Couch and some visitors. Secretary, Pam Smith and Director, Janice Regan also assisted. After the interview, they flew over in a helicopter and captured some incredible shots.

At one point, when Bill was bringing the camera man back to Cape Point they spotted a school of 20 sharks, about 5' to 6' long passing under their kayak. NCBBA continues to caution all members to be careful crossing the water.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Over the 40+ years that I've been fishing the point there in Buxton on Hatteras, I've seen many islands form off the point. Some were easily accessed by simply wading a few yards to them and some were a few hundred yards off the point. Regardless of how near or far they were from the point, they all have had one thing in common and that is that they all eventually went away. This one will either get washed away in a strong storm rip current or will be come attached to and become part of the point. My bet is that come couple months from now or this fall a strong storm or Nor'Easter will roll in and that island will be completely gone 2-3 days. The only way it will last is it will have to become a part of the point itself and even then there is no guarantee it will last then.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
There is a similar sandbar island that comes and goes (not as big as the new Hatteras one) at the point at Cape Lookout. Most folks call it Shark island, depending on the moon, tides and winds it can be high and dry or just under the surface.

<>< Fish

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Over the 40+ years that I've been fishing the point there in Buxton on Hatteras, I've seen many islands form off the point. Some were easily accessed by simply wading a few yards to them and some were a few hundred yards off the point. Regardless of how near or far they were from the point, they all have had one thing in common and that is that they all eventually went away. This will either get washed away in a strong storm rip current or will be come attached to and become part of the point. My bet is that come couple months from now or this fall a strong roll in and that island will be completely gone 2-3 days. The only way it will last is it will have to become a part of the point itself and even then there is no guarantee it will last then.

Winner winner chicken dinner

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Still waiting. Have a coast guard ship out there. Few fly overs by fighter jets. Talked to folks coming off point, saying they're "suggesting" a mile clearance. Will post some pics if they get it done before the 9pm must be off beach time.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Gossip is that navy deemed it unnecessary to explode. Took it off intact. Coast guard vessel gone. Govt vehicles all left.

ecufan

Eight Pointer
I'm in Frisco now for the week. Guess I will go see what all the hype is about. I'm sure there is a crowd there.

witler

Eight Pointer
I read on another site, that someone had found a chest out there that had " E. Teach" on it.

ecufan

Eight Pointer
Was fishing there other day. Guy down from me caught a 4' shark. Cleared all the swimmers out after that.