Thanksgiving in Indiana

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
It looks like I will be going to Marion Indiana this year for thanksgiving. I am going to need to get away for a little while and was thinking about trying to work out a hunt. Deer, small game, and most likely ducks will be in season, so do you guys have any recommendations?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Just looking at options right now. Paying for a guided hunt is not really high on my list since this isn't really a hunting trip. Just looking to get away and hunt somewhere new and maybe get lucky an bring dinner home.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
There is a fair amount of public close by. One thing to keep in mind though...Thanksgiving there means gun season will be open. Gun season is a much bigger deal there than in NC because it is only 2 weeks long. PUblic will be full of hunters who have a few days off of work for Thanksgiving. That being said...if not opposed to walking I know a few spots that probably wont be too crowded

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
No issues hiking in. Would also enjoy a pheasant hunt or duck hunt if its more feasible. If I can work out a good plan I will most likely be driving therefore could bring most of my gear.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Marion, Indiana? I spent 3 1/2 years there in college.

I hunted on a family farm 1.5 hours north of there in Marshall County most of the time, but I did spend a week hunting Mississinewa a few years back with a bow. That's your closest option. Salamonie is another. Bow season is the best time to go since shotgun is pretty crazy, but most of the bucks are taken in the first 9 days of the season. If you can find any spot that's not pressured, i.e. a sanctuary, you might have a chance.

If you don't care as much about deer, there are some fat, red fox squirrels up there that are worth chasing.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Last edited: