More frivolous law suits against box stores

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
In the aftermath of a somewhat recent ruling against Lowe's where a leftwing nut job lawyer convinced an even more idiotic Judge to rule that Lowe's was guilty of false advertising with lumber dimensions another tinfoil hat wearing group is now going after Menard's and Home Depot. http://www.jsonline.com/story/money...uits-over-descriptions-lumber-size/405300001/

The claim is the merchants are profiting by pricing lumber as if it is full dimension while selling undersized material. They will probably win based upon the judgment against Lowe's and is further proof that our legal system is completely void of any and all common sense. Industry standards for the past 3-4 decades have been that actual sizes are typically 1/2" to 3/4" under the "nominal dimension" that lumber is bought, sold and used. That said, one would also think that HD and Menard's would have learned from their competitor's lost case and added footnotes on their labeling to claim a 4x4 is 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" (something Lowe's did after losing millions in the judgment against them).

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I remember having to learn this. How in the heck did this ruling take place? This is one of the craziest ive ever heard. I think 4" and 6" stuff is 1/2" less than nominal. Anything larger is 3/4" under nominal.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive seen expensive plans from engineers and archs that did not know this. They actually used nominal dimensions to draw it up and no one over seeing it from inspections caught on. I would personally like to see nominal sizes avail.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Its funny, I worked at Home Depot in college about 15 years ago. When I applied, I was applying to work in lumber and building materials. The store manager asked me one question, what is the size of a 2x4. I replied inch and a half by three and a half. He offered me the job on the spot.

I had worked construction at my grandfathers company growing up and on a cattle farm and it was always common knowledge amongst everyone that lumber sizes were not advertised sizes. We were never taught that, it was just quickly learned as you measure everything.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Too many folks are lookin' ta hit the lottery these days ...

Too many lazy azzed, no good for nothing, welfare collecting, food stamp sucking liberal lefties that don't have brains enough to come in outta the rain collecting from the pot.....

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I was taught in school in the 70's that wood dimensions were 1/2" shorter to accommodate 1/2" pieces of plywood or sheathing, so that the outside measurement would be the entire footage length. These people need to be beat with at least a 2x3. Or as I like to call it a 1-1/2"x 2-1/2".

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
This somewhat reminds me of an old industry joke:
An older northern man walks into a NC lumberyard and asks "Do you fellows have any 4 by 2 in stock?" The counter guy responds "Will a 2 by 4 work?". The old man walks outside for a minute, comes back in and says a 2 by 4 will work...the salesman asks "how long do you want them?". The old man again walks outside, comes back in a minute later and says "I guess I'll keep it for a bit seeing as how it'll be part of my house".

I guess being around construction my whole life and working in the industry for 25+ years I just take for granted the common sense that people know a 2x4 is 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" and has been that way for 4+ decades. But get somebody without the knowledge of which end of a hammer to hold walking into a box store to discover the actual dimension of the lumber and lawsuits start flying. I'd bet these are the kind of people that will unroll a spool of fishing line and sue because a 600 Yard spool only has 1,765 feet on it.

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
Common sense, BUT a few years back I installed a fence in my back yard. I dropped the post in concrete in the ground first....you can guess the mistake I made.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
This is the sign on some lumber at Lowes in Kinston, may be different ar other locations.

Shows finished size
b3e6240c8095b6cadd03bcaeffdb0c64.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk