Canadian Sniper Kill on ISIS over 2 MILES!!

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I saw that. The Canadians seem to know how to train their snipers.

Canadian sniper in Iraq (2017): 3,450 meters.
British sniper Craig Harrison in Afghanistan (2009): 2,475 meters
Canadian sniper Rob Furlong in Afghanistan (2002): 2,430 meters
Canadian sniper Arron Perry in Afghanistan (2002): 2,310 meters
U.S. sniper Brian Kemer in Iraq (2004): 2,300 meters

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Not only would you have to adjust to any wind that may be between you and the target, which would be tricky. At that distance, you would potentially have various wind directions, especially if there are multiple buildings.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Not only would you have to adjust to any wind that may be between you and the target, which would be tricky. At that distance, you would potentially have various wind directions, especially if there are multiple buildings.

Not to mention at that distance you also have to take into account the rotation of the earth and all kinds of crazy variables.....that is an entirely different level of bad assery there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawkman

Eight Pointer
He and his spotter have to account for all sorts of environmental variables, but the coolest thing is the rotation of the earth! I guess that's a moving target!

There's some good videos (dramatizations) of some of the longest sniper kills in Afghanistan.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Now I'm not a sniper but please tell me how to account for Earths rotation when you're both on earth, and for that matter in Earths atmosphere. There's a reason helicopters can't just hover at a given altitude and fly around the world.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
they have to correct because of the Coriolis effect. This phenomenon is due to earth’s rotation, and changes according to the emisphere you are in. In the northern one the bullet will always drift to the right, in the southern hemisphere the bullet will be deflected to the left. Note that I used right and left, not east or west, beacuse it’s referred to the shooting direction.

But this isn’t over yet: you also have to compensate on the vertical axis. At 1,000 yards, firing east, you’d have to aim ±
±
6 inches lower than your target, 6 inches higher firing west

quick google search found this

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
At that distance (or any "long range" shot for that matter) you have to factor in the Coriolis effect as described above, spin drift and all of the other atmospheric and geographic conditions to place a shot properly. A good friend is a former Marine Scout Sniper and we have discussed long range shooting several times & he said it sounds confusing to many but with proper training and much practice it becomes second nature. "Much practice" means thousands of rounds sent downrange under extreme scrutiny and in varying conditions in order to put said bullet onto said target. Some of his training exercises were pretty cool and the shots these boys do for practice will amaze. He said his Sergeant wound hide a $0.50 piece on a 1,000 meter range and give them 30 minutes to find it and 1 shot to hit it.

Above and beyond training they have modern technology that is helping our boys (by ours I mean any friendly nation military) with ballistic computers that help to calculate the shot based upon all conditions. But at the end of the day you have the spotter and shooter that must read the wind and other variables and the man behind the gun must perform perfectly to accomplish such a shot.

Last edited:

broodc2

Four Pointer
I just can't get over the nearly 10 second between shot and impact. I literally sat here and counted "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three..." I can't imagine pulling the trigger and waiting 10 seconds to see or hear the impact on a target. That's just nuts! For most of us and our 100 yard shooting lane that deer is on the ground in an instant after pulling that trigger.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just can't get over the nearly 10 second between shot and impact. I literally sat here and counted "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three..." I can't imagine pulling the trigger and waiting 10 seconds to see or hear the impact on a target. That's just nuts! For most of us and our 100 yard shooting lane that deer is on the ground in an instant after pulling that trigger.

True....but if you stretch out to 300 yards or even longer, you will see some time between gun report and target report.

3000 fps out of the muzzle will take a little over 3/10s of a second to reach 300. More likely to see 2700-2800 and then it slows down. Could take more like 4/10s or half a second to get there.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
But the best part is, being a Canadian, he immediately when up to his target later and apologized. :) (Watch the movie "Canadian Bacon" with John Candy if you don't know what I mean). :)

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Now I'm not a sniper but please tell me how to account for Earths rotation when you're both on earth, and for that matter in Earths atmosphere. There's a reason helicopters can't just hover at a given altitude and fly around the world.

Coriolis effect, essentially do to the speed the earth is spinning and which hemisphere your in there is a slight drift towards the equator. In shots less than 1200 yards the effect is so minimal it's not really considered but at 2 miles you could be off by as much as 36 inches without calculating it. Now I can't remotely attempt a shot that long ( one day a mile I hope) but I understand a tiny bit of the mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Looking up some ballistic charts, the round they shoot if zeroed at 100 yards for example will have 4,013" drop at 2500 yards (and will still have 1,250+ ft-lb of energy)- if zeroed at 1,000 yards will have over 300" of drop at 1,500 yards. Just thinking about the huge rainbow he shot it is amazing.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
The flight of the bullet was supposedly somewhere around 10 seconds. And web rumors state that this shot was verified with cameras and lasers and all kinds of voodoo whizzbang magic. What we forget is that the poor schmuck at the end of all this ballistic wizardly had to be either sitting in a chair quietly sipping tea or sound asleep in his camel hair bed. Ten seconds is a long time for anyone to stand still. Either that or the Canuk behind the rifle had been lobbing rounds downrange into a group of bad guys until one of them finally fell down. What I want to see is a repeat. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you for all the explanations. I just couldn't wrap my head around it at 5:45AM. I also haven't shot at anything beyond 300yds lol

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Either that or the Canuk behind the rifle had been lobbing rounds downrange into a group of bad guys until one of them finally fell down. What I want to see is a repeat. :rolleyes:

That's what I was wondering. No doubt the guy is an expert marksman, but how much of this was luck? And how many rounds did he lob downrange? I'm assuming he maxed out whatever adjustment his scope had, and was still holding many feet over the individual with kentucky windage.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
So are all of these guys lobbing shots? Unlike some John Candy movies (great reference by the way) not all Canadians apologize *L*

Canadian sniper in Iraq (2017): 3,450 meters.
British sniper Craig Harrison in Afghanistan (2009): 2,475 meters
Canadian sniper Rob Furlong in Afghanistan (2002): 2,430 meters
Canadian sniper Arron Perry in Afghanistan (2002): 2,310 meters
U.S. sniper Brian Kemer in Iraq (2004): 2,300 meters

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I never assumed it was his first shot, although I don't know how the target would remain still have round 1. There are too many variables to GUESS/ESTIMATE hit it on the first try. Heck, even without the variables. Imagine the difference in air currents over that distance. I think I saw a youtube video of a sniper shot record from the same area. One ridge to the next. Updrafts, downdrafts, sidewind, all changing as that bullet traversed the ravine between...

Maybe this was the video: (major dramatization) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37_tzOM9UGE