poults..... anyone seeing any

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 2 mama hens with 7 poults today in a field less than a mile away.
There may have been a few more in the grass that I could not see.
All were the size of small chickens here in Harnett county....
Looks like we got a decent hatch after all.

Last edited:

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I've had a couple groups. This property is also in Harnett county.
1338186d4476fe9d805702975b350d57.jpg
ec630d13b1bd8a796254296e74fd9561.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
Saw a hen with at least 9 poults about a week ago in Wake County. Several gobblers showing up on trail cameras and very few hens which is a good sign the hens are with poults and keeping them out of the fields until they get bigger.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
no poults today but coming home I see 2 jakes and 2 gobblers crossing the road less than half mile from the house....
:)

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I have 2 hens that have taken in residents here at the house and no poults. The creek bottom behind the house flooded and that's when they started showing up regularly. Think they lost their nests. Guessing it's too late for them to renest. There was 2 gobblers hanging with them up until about 2 weeks ago.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
I walked up on a hen with a good group of poults yesterday. She sure did a good acting job.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a group of deer bust up a bunch of turkeys yesterday , they were running out of my yard(probably stealing apples and eating rose bushes). There were at least 8 or 9 poults that I could identify as they flew up into several big oak trees. Unfortunately the ruckus caught the attention of a redtail hawk, and I heard him screaming in that location just a few minutes after they flew into the trees. Hopefully he went home without a turkey dinner.
It was sure good to see that many young ones, our turkey population is way down around my area.

Hitman23

I have 2 hens that hang around my house and they have 17 poults with them for 3 weeks now . That is the most I have seen that I can remember. Those same hens had 7 poults last year, 5 of them made it to September .

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 5 hens today but could not tell if any poults were with them. All were within a mile of the house. Saw a big jake in my foodplot field this evening.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
IMG_3975.jpg

Had this group cross the road yesterday in front of me. Nice group of Osceola's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 3 hens and 11 poults today about a mile from the house in Harnett

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
turkey population has crashed around here,,,,,,,not sure if it's coyotes, avian pox, chicken manure, logging, too many hunters, to few hunters, missteps by the NCWRC, or just pure bad luck,,,,

so y'all can cross scotland county off your hunt list,,,,the Sandhills gameland as well!!

;):cool::greenjump:

huntngolf

Six Pointer
finally saw hen with 3 poults cross road. Slowed down to look and the poults flew to her about the size of small chickens

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Got tons in all my Chatham spots. Some small as a quail and some as large as a chicken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I am seeing a lot of hens and a lot of poults for the first time in many years. Hopefully they make it now. 6 hens all have at least 5 each so if at least two from each makes it then we are rebounding well!

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Seen 2 mama hens with 7 poults today in a field less than a mile away.
There may have been a few more in the grass that I could not see.
All were the size of small chickens here in Harnett county....
Looks like we got a decent hatch after all.

no poults today but coming home I see 2 jakes and 2 gobblers crossing the road less than half mile from the house....
:)

Seen 5 hens today but could not tell if any poults were with them. All were within a mile of the house. Saw a big jake in my foodplot field this evening.

Seen 3 hens and 11 poults today about a mile from the house in Harnett

Somebody pin down Jug's location! Lots of good hunting within a mile of his house!

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
We have a hen and 9 poults in the front yard every morning and afternoon. They shore do love cracked corn. No one hunts them around here.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen a bunch on trail camera. Looking promising and they were big enough they should be somewhat safe.