The Annual Trip

• Thread starter AnAverageDuckHunter
  • Start date

AnAverageDuckHunter

It seems that life gets going quickly and you start hunting with your buddies less and less. Marriage and kids and so forth make it a bit tough. We have all agreed to take a trip every year together to hunt and make memories. This year we are looking at a 3 day hunt down in MS, Arkansas, Louisiana, West Ten area. Preferable no more than 12 hours from Greenville, NC. We don't want to hunt the same blind each day and are looking for a field one day, timber, and so forth. Anyone have any recommendations that aren't too pricey either?

Gus

Six Pointer
Just my opinion but I think it's gonna be tough to get to the best parts of those states in 12hrs.
From what I've seen personally, wTn probably wouldn't be the choice for flooded timber and field hunts. Not saying they don't have some of that but,imo, you'd find more/better options in Ark. or La.
From what my wTn friends tell me seMo has been the hotspot for field hunts the last few years.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I'm in the western Piedmont and it takes me 10hrs to get to west TN/reelfoot area.

That said, it's another worlddurong the migration. Needs to be seen to be believed.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
I might suggest Bootheel of MO (SEMO). Usually has a nice mix of birds and doesn't get near the pressure AR does. A big snow spread will also pull in Specks, Mallards and Pintails - lots of pintails. The SEMO area seems to serves as a transition zone and birds are constantly moving north or south as the fronts ebb and flow.

West KY also has some really good duck shooting at times. The Canada geese are pretty much gone, but they have ducks and also get the snows and specks from Late Dec on.

AR can be great, but it can be really hit and miss. In the past we would target either opening day or wait until the third split opener.