Help needed

Bruce

Spike
My Grandaddy has long since past away but I recently came in to possession of an old box with his stuff in it. Found this patch in it and I have no idea what it may represent. Any help would be appreciated. He was a wwll vet but I don't think it's that old. Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• IMG_3986.jpg
    IMG_3986.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 193

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
let me caveat with - Aint no expert here! use as a basis for beginning research, not as a definitive answer,,,,,,,,,

that appears to be a variation of the French royal Coat of Arms,,,,,

the three lilies are called Fleur de Lis,,,,,,then the crown,,,,,

so my estimation is it is of French related derivation,,,either Quebec/Nova Scotia, Louisiana, or France its self,,,,,,,,,,with his service in WW II (and thanks to him) I'd expect French,,,,,,,,yes it's in good shape but patches hold up well if stored reasonably,,,,,,,

let me know if you find out other info, I am interested as well

Last edited:

Bruce

Spike
Still haven't been able to figure it out. Some people on different forums have suggested a family crest but it doesn't match any of the ones I have seen. I'm going to start looking in the direction you suggested , you seem to be not something there. Thanks woodmoose!!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It definately looks to be French or possibly Canadian. Could also be from a unit that came from a French colony, like Algeria.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you are on Facebook try posting it on WWII & Military History. There are some guys on there who really know their stuff.

Good luck and curious myself.

Last edited:

Bruce

Spike
I sent a message to a couple of different pages but I haven't heard back from them yet. It reallly doesn't match any family crest that I have found online for my family. I remember packing the box but I don't ever remember seeing the patch. It came out of his bureau he had his service picture and his military issued bible in there which had a note written to him by a woman we ever heard of hahaha. He didnt talk about much until later in his life that's why I want to figure this out so bad. It may be nothing but it will still be something to me.

Example - we didn't know his ss# was issued in California until after my grandmother died. He wasn't issued one until he got his first paying job (not the farm) he was in California waiting to deploy and got a side job at a canning factory. He worked one shift and deployed when he got off to the pacific.