Chest freezer under house?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I have a chest freezer and a walk in crawl space under our home. Any reason it would be a bad idea to keep it there? Don't really have another place for it if that is I'll advised

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
It's probably not much different than a garage where I have my chest freezer located. May be a bit more humidity. You could possibly get surface rust on the freezer and may need to defrost it more often. The main issue I see is that you may not know the circuit popped on the freezer until you open it and find a freezer full of thawed food.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
Sounds like a plan to me. I would not have it sit right on the ground where it could make ground contact and I would make sure it can be locked and some form of alarm for it if then freezer stops working since you are not walking by it every day or two.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
If you have a home alarm system you can get them to put a freezer alarm and have it hooked up to your home alarm to let you know if it stops working.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Humidity and an unknown tripped circuit breaker like has been mentioned are the only two issues you may have.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
You should be able to hear a regular freezer alarm without hooking to your home alarm....mine is very loud.

I'd put it up on blocks to keep it off the ground.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Definitely elevate it for air circulation and give it a good waxing with car wax ever so often to help prevent rust. In those conditions moisture tends to condense on the cabinet and without waxing it won't be long before it starts rusting.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I used to have one in a basement. Just put it up on bricks or something so that it's off the floor. You'll have to worry about flooding more, and I'd definitely put an alarm on it.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Alarms and batteries are CHEAP compared to the time and money you've got invested in meat... I have two alarms. My freezer is in my shed with one alarm station stuck to the body of the freezer and another in the cabinets be the front door where I keep my keys...
After a while you can guess when the alarm batteries will die, and I keep a reminder on my phone to change them every so often... I think it's every 4-5 months for the temp sensors and every year for the base station

As others have said... Keep it off the ground and you're good.

Last edited:

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I would also be more diligent about cleaning off the coils as typically there are more spiders and other critters in a crawl space...you want to make sure everything gets proper air circulation to prevent burning up the compressor.