Lake phelps

Paulnc11

Button Buck
Anyone fish here regularly? I fished it years ago and it was great. It's about. 2 hour drive from where I live now and I'm wondering if it is worth the trip, is the top water action good this time of year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I would contact conman on this forum I think he is very knowledgeable with lake phelps.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I fished there a couple of weeks ago and caught all the pumpkinseed bream I could put in the boat. Of course, that's all I was targeting. There were several bass fishermen tooling around the lake also.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I fished there a couple of weeks ago and caught all the pumpkinseed bream I could put in the boat. Of course, that's all I was targeting. There were several bass fishermen tooling around the lake also.

What did you use to catch the Bream?

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't know about last week, but they were hitting beetle spins pretty hard a month ago.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
My uncle used to have a house at Phelps. Popping bugs and black ants fished with a fly rod or using a casting cork always worked early and late around the lily pads. Exciting times when a 5lb bass explodes on your popping bug when you were expecting a sunfish!

<>< Fish

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Son got a nice bass on a Beetle Spin. I couldn't do anything except for a Bowfin, until I put on a Spro frog and then lit up two nice bass. This was among the cottages before Conmans. Then we went to the end of the road at the State Park access just to walk around (no rods). Did. Not. See. A. Fish. Weird. Very weird. I always see fish there. Water was cloudy there and there seemed to be footprints and longer drag marks in the bottom, although at a depth deeper than any bay/bass boat keel should reach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
What did you use to catch the Bream?
Live crickets, worms, and beetle spins. All three were equally effective, with maybe a slight edge to the crickets.
Due to the wind direction that day, I put my canoe in at the Cypress Landing access and fished southward for approximately 1/2 mile. The majority of the fish were caught in about 4' of water around structure (trees, stumps, etc.).

Last edited:

Paulnc11

Button Buck
Live crickets, worms, and beetle spins. All three were equally effective, with maybe a slight edge to the crickets.
Due to the wind direction that day, I put my canoe in at the Cypress Landing access and fished southward for approximately 1/2 mile. The majority of the fish were caught in about 4' of water around structure (trees, stumps, etc.).

Is time of day critical with sunfish? Is there an address to gps cypress landing?

ncbuckfever

Six Pointer
I always have luck in the pads, wading around using topwater ribbit frog (just toss it in there and retrieve on top of the pads). I also only have luck in September........every time I go in the summer, its a waste. Just my experience. Place is full of nice bass though and they will explode on a lure.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Is time of day critical with sunfish? Is there an address to gps cypress landing?
Mornings up until it starts getting hot and the evenings when the sun goes down are best times I've found. In other words, all but mid-day.
DO NOT depend on GPS in that area, simply find Newland Rd. with your GPS and then follow it until you turn Rt. on Shore Drive. Look here for a map: https://www.ncparks.gov/sites/default/files/ncparks/maps-and-brochures/pettigrew-park-map.pdf
Cypress Point is on the west side of the lake.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I should add I was there from noon till 230 (kids birthday party) so not optimum and still caught something.

Live shiners would probably be awesome.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Paulnc11

Button Buck
I should add I was there from noon till 230 (kids birthday party) so not optimum and still caught something.

Live shiners would probably be awesome.

I appreciate the feedback, my plan is to try and get there at sun up to catch the top water bite, then have pumpkinseeds as a back up for the kids until mid day

hawkman

Eight Pointer
By the way, my son also got a huge pumpkinseed on that beetle spin. Not a small beetle either.