Family Heirloom Restored

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This picture was painted by my Great-Grandmother as a gift for her Grandson (my father) who loved the outdoors and hunting, over 60 years ago. I'm not exactly sure what its painted on; its not canvas or plywood but seems to be some sort of laminate.

It hung in our house over the years as I was growing up, and when my father passed on in 2002 I asked my mother to make sure I had first-call when the time came. She sent it to me as last year's Christmas present, and my wife had it reframed and finished. Now it has a place on the wall in my home office, until I'm ready to "pass it on".

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very nice. Where did she have it refinished? I'm looking for someone to touch up a painting by my wife's great grandmother.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Probably wouldn't get $10 at a flea market.

And yet you probably wouldn't sell it for all that you're worth.

Great post and painting!!!! :cool:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
A good piece to hang onto. It wasn't uncommon for some people to paint on Masonite and it usually has a screen pattern on the back side which should make it easily identifiable.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very nice. Where did she have it refinished? I'm looking for someone to touch up a painting by my wife's great grandmother.

We only reframed it, nothing was done to the actual painting. There's a local guy who builds bluebird houses and also does picture frames using cedar wood, and my wife stained it herself.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A good piece to hang onto. It wasn't uncommon for some people to paint on Masonite and it usually has a screen pattern on the back side which should make it easily identifiable.

We thought it could be Masonite, but its smooth on the back.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We only reframed it, nothing was done to the actual painting. There's a local guy who builds bluebird houses and also does picture frames using cedar wood, and my wife stained it herself.
Oh, ok. Thanks.
This painting needs professionally cleaned, touched up, ect...
It is hanging in our living room in it's current condition but would benefit from restoration.
Your picture looks great like it is.