New duck boat center vs side console

Duckcrazy

Spike
Hey guys I'm looking to pick up a new duck boat. I really like the Lowe 1860 waterfowl edition but I dont think it will work for my needs and storing that blind would be a pain. I am however still looking at the 1860 from Lowe. I wanted to get your opinions on the console though. Should I go with side or center console??

I like the center console due to the fact its more centered in the boat and may be a litle dryer ride. I am nervous about the room I will lose if I take a few friends out to hunt with my dog.

The side console is a good option to keep some room in the boat but the ride may be wetter.

I'd appreciate your input. This boat will be used for fishing around Wilmington during the off season.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Consider installing a tiller, ZERO lost floor space.
I have an Aluma Craft 1866 and originally had a Merc 60 Big Tiller but due to an arm issue last summer I decided to install a center console. If you were closer you could see the change.....

Duckcrazy

Spike
I thought of a tiller however fishing in the cape fear river, and the intercoastal waterway and making runs up in pamlico kinda turns me off having a tiller. I want a good all around boat for both hunting and fishing.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Look at the merc power tiller.

As easy as driving if not easier.
Full power, you can let go of it and it does not move, they work now up to 150 or larger.

That said I had the big tiller and really liked them, have had several tiller boats.

The new boat on the way is a 2072, it will have a 115 with a small side console.
What I found was that the newer centers have a small top at at the controls yet really wide at the bottom taking lots of space.

The side I got on the way should be real compact and leave the full floor open other than at my feet and 1 foot forward.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Tiller is the way to go, except that if you are going to hunt bigger waters it is nice to have a few basic electronics mounted close by, especially depth gauge and GPS in the dark. It's a little challenging mounting them somewhere convenient back there. That's where a small console comes in handy.

Last edited:

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have both. For your uses, no tiller.

For versatility and multiple uses, I prefer a center console. Electronics have been noted....visibility is always an issue regardless of how the boat is used.

That said, if it is strictly a duck boat, nothing else, go the tiller route.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
If you decide to go the tiller route holler at me. I still have the "console" that I made for mine to hold the sonar on top and the stereo, tach and switch panel cutouts. I also have another one that hasn't been cut for anything.... I'll try to attach a pic....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You can also use RAM mounts that have ball mounts on the side of the boat then add arms that you can move anyplace you need.

Did that on my last boat and was able to have the GPS in front of me and also the depthfinder.
They work great, with arms you can place it anyway you want and rotate it to see if you are someplace else in the boat..

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I have a Lowe 2070 with a side console. I just felt the center console took up too much space. Yes, it is a wetter ride in rougher water, but the console just take up so much space. When hauling 200-300 decoys, 3-4 hunters, dog, etc. space gets tight. When I started looking I wanted a 1860, but glad I went with the 2070 because the 18' seemed to shrink as soon as they put it in the water. I have a 115 as well. It pushes my 2070 around 38-41 and goes down very little with a load, maybe 34-37 loaded down.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They also make a track mounted controls.
It can be moved from left to right anyplace in between.
So when needed its a center, dry flat water can be moved left or right.

Duckcrazy

Spike
Thank you for the input but as I stated I'm not looking for a tiller. I'm only looking at boats with a console and just trying to decide between the center vs side.