Advice for a mountain man

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Heading down to Oak Island last week of June. Wanting to bring my Kayak, Eagle Talon 12'.

For a noob would you recommend surf or sticking to the intracoastal waterways? Normally, I fish the surf with live bait from the beach, so in terms of getting a kayak fishing what types of bait and tackle would be recommended?

I'm not asking for secret spots but if anyone could give me a general area that would suitable for putting in and fishing out of a kayak, I would greatly appreciate it as well. I would gladly return the favor on some mountain trout or smallmouth fishing.

Thank you in advance.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
Heading down to Oak Island last week of June. Wanting to bring my Kayak, Eagle Talon 12'.

For a noob would you recommend surf or sticking to the intracoastal waterways? Normally, I fish the surf with live bait from the beach, so in terms of getting a kayak fishing what types of bait and tackle would be recommended?

I'm not asking for secret spots but if anyone could give me a general area that would suitable for putting in and fishing out of a kayak, I would greatly appreciate it as well. I would gladly return the favor on some mountain trout or smallmouth fishing.

Thank you in advance.
I would stick to the waterway, and we usually can manage abfew flounder and drum and trout throwin a twister grub on a jig, usually 3 or 4 inch white, or a crab under a popper cork, just mix it up and see what they want, we use some basd rods with braid, and open face 7ft rods around grass or mud flats mainly 2 hrs around tide changes, put in at docks or any public access

Last edited:

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
http://www.ncbrunswick.com/activity/tidalwaves-canoe-dock-oak-island

(Tarheeler covered it well)

Search for access to the waterway before your trip.

Stick to the waterway and the creeks. Don't overlook the bases of high rise bridges as well as docks. Creeks and other tidal areas can be 'hot' and the tide will often influence when fish are concentrated. Consider working up creeks on a rising tide and concentrate on the creek mouth and/or oyster beds the last half of falling tide. Fish moving water.

IF you see fishing and guide boats entering a creek, don't ignore it. Good luck!!

Be aware that the waterway is a narrow 'ditch' in some of that area and boat wakes can be an issue.

Don't hesitate to visit Wildlife Bait and Tackle. Catch Jimmy Price when he is not busy...he'll share information.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A buddy just called. They fished (today) the mouth of the Lockwood Folly River and the inlet/waterway area right across from the river. Had a 2 person limit of flounders. No trout. I didn't ask but he almost always fishes bigger mud minnows on 1/4 oz jig heads. They fished the last two hrs of falling tide and the first 4 hrs of the rising tide.

There is a state ramp near the mouth of the river.

If you want to paddle a bit and go back in time, catch the incoming tide and work up the river and down with the tide change.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for your input fellas! When it comes to working the tides, are there any precautions or any general tips you could pass on?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for your input fellas! When it comes to working the tides, are there any precautions or any general tips you could pass on?

In a kayak? Watch for unknown oyster beds to appear when tide begins to fall...could flip the yak if current is strong enough and you get hung

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

Mostly, don't get stuck back somewhere you can't get out of. I once dropped in at my in-laws neighborhood pier kayak launch and couldn't get back in. Obviously it helps if you can see it at dead low tide first to know what you'll deal with. Not the PITA or risk it is in a bigger boat, but dragging a 'yak out and getting muddy and cutting yourself on oysters can ruin your day.

jgav

Four Pointer
Looks like youve gotten some sound advice already but just a few other things. Get 1/8 oz jig heads rigged with pearl swimming mullet gulp or gulp shrimp. I also like to try and have one line I'm actively fishing and throw another line out the side or back (either a carolina rig with cut bait or a live mullet, or a popping cork with a gulp or live shrimp).

Fish docks and edges of oyster beds and mouths of creeks where current sweeps in and out that would sweep bait by where predatory fish could sit and wait for the bait to come by.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks to everyone for their advice, me and my FIL had a great time and caught a bunch. I managed to get a few good shots on the GoPro.

Again, thank y'all!

[video=youtube;X3H2cxgH-c0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3H2cxgH-c0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;xC4BpqAhEfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC4BpqAhEfQ[/video]

Last edited: