Another flounder question

witler

Eight Pointer
When fishing the surf using jig and gulps, do you cast out and retrieve straight back to shore or do you cast parallel, sideways and retrieve back in?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
When fishing the surf using jig and gulps, do you cast out and retrieve straight back to shore or do you cast parallel, sideways and retrieve back in?

I never cast out far. If I do, I'm targeting a cut or some sort of specific structure I see that leads me to believe there's fish there, otherwise, for flounder, I'm fishing as close to parallel as possible as close as possible, right in the suds where the first immediate drop off is. I've had flounder hit my jig and be exposed by a receding wave before I can even start to reel.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I fan-cast (if that's a term). I might cast around in a variety of angles. If the fish are in the shallowest of the water, you'll end up putting that bait through a lot that geography (or whatever point in the surf you end up most successful in). However, if I'm walking down the beach, trying to get to some structure I see, like a hole, rip, bar, slough, whatever, I might just sort of cast ahead and out, and by the time it's being retrieved, it's behind me a ways.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
This is a long video but I found it interesting that he seemed to be catching fish with the bacon.

[video=youtube;OnwZL_sEusU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnwZL_sEusU[/video]

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Skinner uses a product called "Otter Tails" which I think are articifial 'curly tails' with no body. When he loses a Gulp tail, he adds the otter strip which apparently don't get bitten off b/c they're tougher. He was sick of going through so much Gulp. I don't know. Seems to make sense, except the Otter Tails might be a local tackle shop thing - not something you get on Amazon.

Well, you can get them at Tackle Direct it seems. Here's the link to their own website. They aren't cheap...

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Skinner uses a product called "Otter Tails" which I think are articifial 'curly tails' with no body. When he loses a Gulp tail, he adds the otter strip which apparently don't get bitten off b/c they're tougher. He was sick of going through so much Gulp. I don't know. Seems to make sense, except the Otter Tails might be a local tackle shop thing - not something you get on Amazon.

Well, you can get them at Tackle Direct it seems. Here's the link to their own website. They aren't cheap...

EZ bait and tackle in Goldsboro carries em as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk